Visiting Maui

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Coming back to Maui soon...Will be there the first week of February, ready to relax and fish! Normally I go out with Fuzzy from Die Hard for an overnight departure/full day trip, targeting for Mahi and Yellowfin. This year, before I book a spot, I wanted to see if there were any BD Brothers who lived locally and who had room for a Seattle guy.. Would love to get after some fish, tell stories, pitch in for whatever is needed! Respectful, experienced, no problems with seasickness. Thanks everyone for reading!

Matt

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Booked a spot with Fuzzy. If anyone else is heading to Maui the same time, let me know! Jan 31 to Feb 8.

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
I got the crap kicked out of me today by the ocean. The reef tore my foot open. Patched up and ready for Tuesday with Fuzzy. It's been blowing a lot out of the NE..20 or so today. Hopefully it calms down for a nice morning bite!

Reactions: Tranquility

coueshunter

Apr 3, 2011
Flagstaff, AZ
Name
Shelton B.
Boat
Looking for one. =)
Did you do any do any good? Im headed there in a week. Are there any kayak inshore trips you could recommend?

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Hey Coues...and everyone. Sorry for not following up yet. Been slammed at work! Unfortunately, fishing was slow. I sell fish to a bunch of wholesalers and distributors on all the islands and it definitely equaled out to the catch we had. El Nino/La Nina affected HI in a negative way (for some areas)... As the West Coast had better Albacore fishing last summer and extra pelagics running around (marlin/mahi/bluefin etc), HI was shorted with Mahi and other larger pelagics. We left Tuesday around 1am. Caught bait around 2:30 and then headed for a Buoy he had not fished lately. Reports were slim..They did bring in a Shortbill a few trips prior.. This trip unfortunately only brought small Yellowfin. We had plenty of fish for each paying guy to take back 5-10lbs of fillets. It was nice to cook fresh tuna and bring meat home.. But no mahi and nothing big. The whale watching is on fire right now! You seriously need to book a boat and get out in the morning. If it were me, I would find a kayak rental place and head out anywhere, cross the reef line hit blue water and look for spouts...We saw kayakers on the way back to the airport that had 3 whales right up next to them! Insane! That's a photo opp. Also, I would highly recommend bringing a shore rod and dunk bait or throw spoons/kastmasters out.. Plenty of bonefish/snapper/reef fish etc. In addition, next time I am going to buy an introductory spear "gun". I swam with so many schools of snapper and also a few smaller schools of bluefin trevally, I was kicking myself... I will post pictures and a couple of videos here asap!