Vinyl cutter and heat foil machine

jonrx7

I like girls, boos and fishing. Simple life.
Apr 21, 2008
Torrance and Garden Grove
Name
Jon
Boat
Not yet
Looking for recommendation which model to look at. Just overwhelmed with all the flavors

Looking into buy a new vinyl cutter to make my own fishing sticker labels. The next thing is a hot foil machine for the round lures. diving into a new hobby due to Covid.

Any input is Appreciated.

John

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Looking for recommendation which model to look at. Just overwhelmed with all the flavors

Looking into buy a new vinyl cutter to make my own fishing sticker labels. The next thing is a hot foil machine for the round lures. diving into a new hobby due to Covid.

Any input is Appreciated.

John
I'm sure you have already done this, but YouTube is a good start. There are videos from commercial manufacturers and DIY guys. From there, you can decide what is needed for your new hobby.

Keep us posted. It would be interesting to see what you come up with.

Another suggestion would be to ask the same question on the another popular fishing web site that caters more to the Gulf of Mexico and East Coast.

Reactions: jonrx7
Upvote 0

jonrx7

I like girls, boos and fishing. Simple life.
Apr 21, 2008
Torrance and Garden Grove
Name
Jon
Boat
Not yet
Thank you for the warm welcome. Just bought a HOT foil machine and I will pick it up this weekend. I will be testing many types of foil and prism patterns. Stay tuned.

I been looking at the Vinyl cutter, hobby to commercial, big price window.

John

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
I used to be in the vinyl biz for years and ran several cutters 12 hours a day plus.

The Summa D60 is the best, most durable machine ever.

Second would be a Roland.

We tried using one of those "hobby" grade machines from a sign supply. It was absolute crap and a waste of time unless you want to do 5 decals at a time.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Da Mad Anglah

Old fut who still misses home on da islands
Oct 21, 2020
Idaho (and sometimes Honolulu)
Name
Chris
Boat
'93 18' Weldcraft "Rod Rage"
Also been in the biz for decades, have Roland cutter and digital printer/cutter now. While the printer (XC-540) pretty much hates me since the day I bought it, its still a good machine and has been running almost daily since '05. I just ran 1500 print/lam cut decals through it last week with no real issues.
The cutter (old CX-300) is unkillable, it too has been running for years, bought that one for the shop in '04. Just used it this morning to cut a few decals for a customer, that damned thing just does a perfect job every time.
Summa is also a good brand, worked with a D60 for several months at another guy's shop I helped to get going. Still think I'd go with Roland if you can afford it.
Remember, buy once, cry once...
Chris

Upvote 0

Da Mad Anglah

Old fut who still misses home on da islands
Oct 21, 2020
Idaho (and sometimes Honolulu)
Name
Chris
Boat
'93 18' Weldcraft "Rod Rage"
LOL! Das how, braddah!

I assume you are familiar with the software side too? Coreldraw or Illustrator are my go-to programs. Just understand that you have to create "vectorized" artwork to make any vinyl cutter work. Its not hard, but will be just another cost of becoming a sign guy!

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
Maybe find a wholesaler until you sell some big orders that generate the capital/confidence to pay for the machine? I have bought some stickers on Amazon that were sent to me by vinyl guys and I paid $5 for the sticker. I also am in the biz and don't see how anyone can sell a sticker for $5.00 and pay the electricity or overhead unless they are getting orders by the thousand,

Upvote 0

bufadora

Apr 13, 2011
Santa Cruz
Name
darren gertler
Boat
Sorenson 15 - catamaran
I teach kids in Watsonville and we use a Silouhete vinyl cutter. So easy kids can do it. I have never put a sticker on a lure but for how cheap it is if you are totally new to the game you might want to try one.

Make a handful of bumper stickers for your buddies or whatever and start to learn the process. let me know if you have any other questions, we did a two year research project with em.

Upvote 0