Viking Fleet 3 day trips question...

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by schuylkill co, Jun 23, 2019.

1. schuylkill co

schuylkill co Newbie

Name:
    SP
    Boat:
    Hobie outback
    Hi All,
    I have always done two to three 36-48hour Tuna, Tile etc trips with the Gambler and Voyager per year. I have both really positive things to say on both boats.

Next year I was thinking about taking the 4 hour trek up to Montauk for one of the Viking fleet's three day trips. Yea, I spend 2 1/2 hours more in the car each way but I am not steaming back forth as much if I condense two trips.

So here is my question. How do those the 3 day trips from the Viking Fleet compare to the other NJ boats?

2. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I worked out in MTK back in the day on the Bluefin IV and did more Viking trips that I care to remember. The Viking is really the inventor of these kinds of longer East Coast tuna trips. The boats are great. They have more Tile Fish/Wreck Fish/Barrel Fish drops then anyone which really helps if the Tuna bite is slow.

The big difference from the Southern NJ boats is the Canyon's fished. They can get up as high as Munson Canyon but won't go much further South than Toms so if the fish are out to the NE then the Viking is the best.

I can't recommend the Viking Five Star enough (there smaller charter boat) if you can swing a 2 day with them. My buddies have gone the last 4 years in a row and have just mugged them. One trip they went way off the edge and filled the entire boat with 80-100lb Big Eyes, the last couple of years have been big YFT with a few really nice eyeballs to boot.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  3. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Just got off a 5 day charter on the Starship. Epic fishing once again. Tiles up 47 lbs, Barrel Fish up to 28 , Snowies up to 54. Plenty of other bottom dwellers. We didn't tuna fish , this was a deep drop trip. Fished from Lydonia to Hydrographers. A Tuna tile trip adds the prospect of trolling pot hopping and chunking. Cant be beat. Boats a lot slower than the Voyager. ( last I was on it was the Doris Mae and it could move) so prepare yourself for a ride. The 5 star is a great option for a smaller group.

Northeastfshman likes this.