???Video tour of a Tackle box??????

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    This will be my 100th post. Coincidentally, it is weird. I mean really, a video of a tackle box???
    My most sincere appreciation for all of the ideas provided along the way (yes I did put on a silicone seal around the opening), and the inspiration of such craftsmen as Mark Mayo. Having now been through this process: No matter what craftsmen like Mark charge - it is a bargain.

The overall footprint is 16 x 24, so four inches deeper than an SKB, but this includes my launchers and cup holder, so mine is 4" deeper and same width.

It is heavy, so plan is to bring it empty, and add the 3700's brought in separate bags.

Remember, this is specifically for a trip on the RP with only 18 anglers. I would not consider something this big on a crowded boat, and intend to make any better rod storage spots available to others. Also, I plan to bring an adapter to add a multi cup holder in one of my launchers, as on some trips finding a spot for one's coca-cola is not easy.

The video is 2:36. Longer than I'd have liked, but it moves along.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    As one who is becoming more and more a minimalist, that’s a little over the top. But if it works for you, go for it. I understand Jaime’s Sherpas are available from time to time for the heavy lifting and carrying part.

Is it safe to ask, how many rods and reels you’re taking?

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    That tackle box gave me a nine inch stiffy, well pert near 9'' stiffy.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    As one who is becoming more and more a minimalist, that’s a little over the top. But if it works for you, go for it. I understand Jaime’s Sherpas are available from time to time for the heavy lifting and carrying part.

Is it safe to ask, how many rods and reels you’re taking?
    8. An 80, two 100's, two 130's, my Stella, (with nod to Jamie), my old Wahoo Special with an old Accurated Jigmaster, and a Sabiki Stick, so that is 8. Admirable restraint, I'm think'n.

I do, ashamedly, have 2 of every lure that has had a picture hanging from a fishes mouth on the RP website during the last 5 years. That is just wrong.

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    I like it. Do you have a way of securing your box to the stand? The footprint may be different from an SKB but it still might get top heavy. Do you have dividers/hangers for your jig tray? I like your drink holder, but I think I’d plan on leaving your Bubba Blade in your truck. You don’t usually need your own knife on the boat.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I like it. Do you have a way of securing your box to the stand? The footprint may be different from an SKB but it still might get top heavy. Do you have dividers/hangers for your jig tray? I like your drink holder, but I think I’d plan on leaving your Bubba Blade in your truck. You don’t usually need your own knife on the boat.
    There is a simple but effective strap that holds the box to the stand, not pictured in the video. I share your concern about stability. I actually went to the boat last week and looked hard for areas where I might be able to secure it to the deck. Tough prospect. I am hopeful that with the weights down low, and the four launchers in back mounted at the bottom, it will be quite stable.

The Jig tray is designed so that the hooks hang from the edges, not unlike an SKB. To be perfectly honest, I got tired of tinkering, and considered dividers in that box, but resolved against. (Lazy!)
    As I experimented, it looks like it will take a roll of something over 60 degrees to initiate a tip (Center of Gravity beyond pivot point.) The upper half of the box has very little weight. We shall see.
    It is only with reluctance that I leave home my sharpening steel. The knife will help me create the perfect chunk.? Probably not.

Upvote 0

SlideRight

Been there...
    Jul 4, 2008
    So Cal
    Name
    Lew
    Boat
    ss minnow
    Cool imagineering there!
    I'd be afraid to be on the same boat tho.
    Hate to be the 1st one to spill some beer & nachos, or worse, broadside it with the deck hose.
    Surely those drawer slides are stainless.
    Super nice.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Cool imagineering there!
    I'd be afraid to be on the same boat tho.

Hate to be the 1st one to spill some beer & nachos, or worse, broadside it with the deck hose.
    Surely those drawer slides are stainless.
    Super nice.
    Thanks Lew,
    I cannot wait to have some people help make it look used. Yes, the drawer slides are stainless, from Boat Outfitters in Florida.
    The deck hose will be fine - the silicone seal installed not only hides some woodworking imperfections, but when I put a hose on it , the inside did stay dry!

Reactions: SlideRight
    Upvote 0

FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
    Sep 19, 2005
    La Quinta
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    That is a next level tackle box.
    For some reason this scene from Joe Vs. the Volcano kept popping in my head as I watched your video....

"An ocean voyage....ahhhh yes so....a real journey! Very exciting!"

“May you live to be a Thousand Years Old Sir” Lol!!!
    That is a perfect picture of this obsession given money creatativity and time. 7 launchers is amazing!! Anything over 5 launchers requires registration with the coast guard. I think you will come back with the trip with orders for this box.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    In the old days they used to have an old wooden bucket. The wood will soak up the salt water so the jigs would not rust. Weights in the bottom and your lunch in the middle cause a fishing trip was on a boat without a galley. But what the heck do you do with a 9” Bubba Blade?

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Wow, that is something! Beautiful wood... As a free standing unit, it is best if you tie it to something; even if it is another free standing tackle box. When items get moving on a deck, damage usually occurs. Sometimes people stumble and fall on things. Food for thought....

Enjoy your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

pastdue

Almost A Member
    May 18, 2006
    Mira Mesa
    Name
    Don Cale
    Boat
    18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
    This will be my 100th post. Coincidentally, it is weird. I mean really, a video of a tackle box???
    My most sincere appreciation for all of the ideas provided along the way (yes I did put on a silicone seal around the opening), and the inspiration of such craftsmen as Mark Mayo. Having now been through this process: No matter what craftsmen like Mark charge - it is a bargain.

The overall footprint is 16 x 24, so four inches deeper than an SKB, but this includes my launchers and cup holder, so mine is 4" deeper and same width.

It is heavy, so plan is to bring it empty, and add the 3700's brought in separate bags.

Remember, this is specifically for a trip on the RP with only 18 anglers. I would not consider something this big on a crowded boat, and intend to make any better rod storage spots available to others. Also, I plan to bring an adapter to add a multi cup holder in one of my launchers, as on some trips finding a spot for one's coca-cola is not easy.

The video is 2:36. Longer than I'd have liked, but it moves along.

Everything was perfect on that box but I was waiting for you to show where you plug the wheels in so you could roll it on board that's right I have a problem with the lifting part with my junk but I'm sure it's on there somewhere

Upvote 0

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Nice box! To me it looks to be top heavy, especially with the rocket launchers mounted so high. Make sure you lash it down to something, maybe to your lower box loaded with weights. Have fun!

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I like it!!
    What a mind!!
    Only thing I can think of wrong is where the hell to put it.. hope you’re first in line to board!!
    On the deck, and hope it doesn't take on too much water when they wash down the deck. But that's why the one tray has a stainless steel wire mesh for a bottom.

Upvote 0