So Cal Editor
BD Writer
May 1, 2005
LBC
Name
Erik
Boat
Robalo 226 Cayman

Navionics has added a new feature called, "Relief Shading" to both their app and their Platinum cards. The three dimensional perspective it gives of both deep and shallow structure is going to make it a lot easier to understand how topography affects currents and bait aggregation. Very excited to start using this new tool!
If you already have a current Platinum chip, all you need to do is download the latest updates and you'll be ready to go. If you have the app, you'll need to update the app itself as well as downloading the latest data.

You can click on the link to get more info

https://bit.ly/2Bdhvt6

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Dang ! I just ordered the update for my Navionics+ this morning !

I sent an email to [email protected] to try to change my order to the Platinum+.

Thanks for the “heads up” that relief shading option is awesome !

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
This is really cool, too bad both my plotters are Garmins ! :Beat_Them

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Quick action by Jennifer at Navionics fixed my error. Platinum+ on the way.

Sure glad I read your post. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: onehottip

onehottip

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
You can get the same thing on the boating app from navionics.run it on your phone or tablet. It’s frigging awesome. 15$ .

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
You can get the same thing on the boating app from navionics.run it on your phone or tablet. It’s frigging awesome. 15$ .
This could be an option except for the need to have cell coverage to enable gps.
As I recall only late generation Ipads have a true gps receiver.

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
If it has gps, no cell service is necessary. GPS isn’t working on cell towers. My iPad is 7 years old. You don’t even need to have a carrier. If I remember, if your tablet has cellular capabilities then your golden. I hope that helps.

Reactions: Kman

Liv2 huntnFish

Trying to be the report instead of reading it!
Jan 12, 2012
Bakersfield Ca.
Name
Chasi'n Tails
Boat
2352WA Trophy
This is really cool, too bad both my plotters are Garmins ! :Beat_Them
What Garmin are you currently running? I have a 1042XSV and bought the Bluechart g3 vision upgrade for it. I also have the Active Capt loaded on my phone and tablet with the same maps. just preload them at home from WiFi. Ive had no issues yet, ran out to Annacapa a few time with it already.

20200608_161014[1].jpg

Last edited:

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
I run an old 182c for all basic here to there navigating, I've used it for so long I barely need to think before punching the buttons.
The 2nd one is a newish (discontinued already) echo map dv54, the 54 I'm using as a chirp sounder and for back up gps if needed.
The 54 would be my only option to make any good plotter software run if possible.
I'm not schooled on all the options for it (if any) but it sure looks nice !

stock images;

index.jpg

2.jpg

FishingFiend

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
SoCal
Name
FishingFiend
Boat
Robalo Cayman 226
Thanks Erik for sharing this! IMO it's a game changer for those of us not willing to pony up for the Platinum+ card and annual renewal fee.

Any iPad with LTE capability has a build in GPS sensor that will allow the Navionic's app to function without active LTE service. I was using an old Air 2, that worked like a champ. It feels like relief shading needs a bit more processing power and since I upgraded to an iPad pro, works great now.

Sandydog

Mar 18, 2017
Dana Point, CA
Name
John Kim
Boat
n/a
This could be an option except for the need to have cell coverage to enable gps.
As I recall only late generation Ipads have a true gps receiver.
To expand on FishingFiend's reply, any iPad with cellular data capability has built-in GPS. Any WiFi-only iPad does not have GPS. You can however connect it to an external GPS receiver via bluetooth or WiFi. Easiest way is to link your phone's GPS. But there are standalone GPS receivers for this task too.

That's why I use an Android tablet for navigation. I prefer having everything in one unit, instead of needing to mess around with connecting an external device for something as crucial as navigation. And I don't want to pay for cellular data capability I don't need (I share my phone's data via its hotspot capability). But last I checked, some of the tablet support on Garmin chartplotters was iOS-only.

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
That's why I use an Android tablet for navigation. I prefer having everything in one unit, instead of needing to mess around with connecting an external device for something as crucial as navigation. And I don't want to pay for cellular data capability I don't need (I share my phone's data via its hotspot capability).
This circles back to the need for cell coverage, correct ?
Phone gps is a function of having cell coverage.

Sandydog

Mar 18, 2017
Dana Point, CA
Name
John Kim
Boat
n/a
This circles back to the need for cell coverage, correct ?
Phone gps is a function of having cell coverage.
That was true about 10+ years ago, but isn't anymore. The initial position fix in GPS is extremely computationally expensive. If you bought one of the early car GPS navigation units, you probably remember turning it on and having to wait (without moving the car) for about a minute while it "booted up". It was actually doing that initial position calculation.

When smartphones began to get GPS apps, carriers started doing is using something called Assisted GPS. In A-GPS, the phone transmits the GPS satellite data it's receiving to the tower. A beefy computer in the tower does the initial position calculation in a fraction of a second, and transmits the position back to the phone.

Subsequent positions are calculated as a delta (change) from that initial position fix. This calculation is a lot simpler, so mobile devices could do it in real-time. That's why if you started moving your car during the initial position fix, when the GPS finished and started updating your position, it would show you on a parallel route slightly offset from your actual position. The deltas it's calculating are accurate, but based on the wrong initial position (since you moved while it was calculating that initial position).

About 10 years ago, mobile processors started to become fast enough to do the initial position calculation in a matter of seconds. So A-GPS started to be phased out in favor of true GPS (both the initial position fix and subsequent deltas are calculated on the mobile device). One of the last phones to get true GPS was, surprisingly, the iPhone. So if you're an iPhone user, GPS being dependent on a cellular connection may be a more recent experience for you.

But today pretty much every device is fast enough to calculate GPS positions entirely on their own. No cellular connection required. I dunno why Apple leaves GPS off of the WiFi iPads. The only reasonable-sounding explanation I've heard is to force users to buy or upgrade to a higher-end iPad. It's on most Android tablets, even the low-end ones. (The Amazon Fire tablets being a notable exception.)

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
That was true about 10+ years ago, but isn't anymore. The initial position fix in GPS is extremely computationally expensive. If you bought one of the early car GPS navigation units, you probably remember turning it on and having to wait (without moving the car) for about a minute while it "booted up". It was actually doing that initial position calculation.

When smartphones began to get GPS apps, carriers started doing is using something called Assisted GPS. In A-GPS, the phone transmits the GPS satellite data it's receiving to the tower. A beefy computer in the tower does the initial position calculation in a fraction of a second, and transmits the position back to the phone.

Subsequent positions are calculated as a delta (change) from that initial position fix. This calculation is a lot simpler, so mobile devices could do it in real-time. That's why if you started moving your car during the initial position fix, when the GPS finished and started updating your position, it would show you on a parallel route slightly offset from your actual position. The deltas it's calculating are accurate, but based on the wrong initial position (since you moved while it was calculating that initial position).

About 10 years ago, mobile processors started to become fast enough to do the initial position calculation in a matter of seconds. So A-GPS started to be phased out in favor of true GPS (both the initial position fix and subsequent deltas are calculated on the mobile device). One of the last phones to get true GPS was, surprisingly, the iPhone. So if you're an iPhone user, GPS being dependent on a cellular connection may be a more recent experience for you.

But today pretty much every device is fast enough to calculate GPS positions entirely on their own. No cellular connection required. I dunno why Apple leaves GPS off of the WiFi iPads. The only reasonable-sounding explanation I've heard is to force users to buy or upgrade to a higher-end iPad. It's on most Android tablets, even the low-end ones. (The Amazon Fire tablets being a notable exception.)
Thanks for the tech schooling, I proved this today by turning off wifi and data on my phone when I left left the house and then turned on location and opened google maps 25 miles away.
It found where I was within a few seconds, impressive.
I do have a good 10" Samsung tablet that I use for tuning software which could work nicely for this map software.

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
My Navionics + chip is getting yanked when the Platnium + arrives. This screenshot is from my iPad. Anyone recognize Izor’s?

My MFD with structure scan still makes more accurate (better resolution) maps, but these are good enough for most cases. I did notice there are plenty of areas that have not been mapped by Navionics. Thank God!

E95018DC-CFC6-49D0-9BA4-B9A0803D3F77.png

FishingFiend

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
SoCal
Name
FishingFiend
Boat
Robalo Cayman 226
Nothing is perfect. I've noticed some of the relief shading is not always accurate or it's over emphasized. It's still a great tool and another reference point for how best to approach the structure (not just the waypoint) or even find new spots. Really helped the last couple of weeks during the cuda bite to find similar structure away from the fleet.

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
Dang ! I just ordered the update for my Navionics+ this morning !

I sent an email to [email protected] to try to change my order to the Platinum+.

Thanks for the “heads up” that relief shading option is awesome !
So what was the cost for that upgrade? What will that do that the plus won’t. Will that give you the relief shading? It’s hard to keep all this straight.

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
mine is on the way!

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
You have to update annually anyway. The Cost is $99 and you can update from Navionics+ to Platimum+ now for the same price.

LuvBigBoats

Gone fishing
Sep 4, 2014
Name
Paul
Boat
Yeah Baybee!
Thanks for this. Does the app download put the relief maps on the phone itself so they can be used without a data or cell connection? I would assume so but just checking to make sure.

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
I just loaded the Boating HD app $14.99 on my Samsung SM-P605V tablet, it seems to function ok with the relief shading looking pretty cool.
When the shading overlay is on, the map refresh lags and reloads quite a bit but that is likely just a function of the tablets slowish processor.

The thing I don't understand is why it reloads / redraws the map and detail while it is sitting still with no user input being applied.
These pics are of it just sitting on the coach, every 5 minutes or so it reloads 4 or 5 times ??

20200723_221221.jpg

20200723_221521.jpg

Last edited: