VHF radio permits required to take boat to Mex?

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Gmoyer, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Gmoyer

Gmoyer Member

Name:
    Gary Moyer
    Boat:
    38' Bertram - Los Lobos
    Bob Vanion's FishRap (The Log) article in the Dec. 20, 2013 issue talked about the FMM/Coronado Islands issue, but also said the Mex (Navy) boats check for other stuff too and "you also need to have...an FCC Ships Stations License for your VHF radio and an FCC Operator's License for the operator of the radio."

The whole fiasco with the FMM and the recent BD post about the Mex government giving seizure orders for over 300 boat there for not having the TIP permits (http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/527913-If-You-Take-Your-Boat-To-Mexico-Read-This) makes it even more obvious to me why it's important to (try to) stay on top of what is and what isn't needed when taking the boat to Mex.

I wasn't previously aware of any VHF radio licensing requirement and looked into it a little. It appears to me that if you take the boat to Mex and touch land (e.g., Ensenada), you need the permits described in the quoted part of the article, and it appears if you "transmit radio communications to foreign stations" you need the permit. Hell, you probably need it to go to Rubios. Finally, even if you don't technically need the VHF-related permits, it strikes me that I'll prolly get them and avoid arguing about it with an 18-year old Mexican in uniform with a gun who's been told to ask for the permits. Since this site is full of folks smarter and more experienced than me, I thought I'd throw this out there and solicit the thoughts of others here to see if they are aware of the VHF radio permit issue; if they get the permits; and/or if the Mex Navy/Bob Vanion and I are wrong in our reading of the rules....

00151220_Page_1.jpg View attachment 491953 00151220_Page_2.jpg

2. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    I have both. One of the side benefits is that you can get an international MMSI#. Costs only about $100 and is good for 10 years, as I recall. In Mexico (here too), the more papers you have, especially ones with official stamps, the better.

3. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    International MMSI sounds like a good thing to have. Does my current MMSi work in Mex?