IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
Question I live inHuntington Beach and I was trying to test my VHF radio using the Boat us ch 27 automated responses. I’m getting a response do you think it should get a response 3 miles inland. Does anyone have any other wa

Upvote 0

Y Go Home

Wage Slave
Nov 1, 2005
Name
me
Boat
Question I live inHuntington Beach and I was trying to test my VHF radio using the Boat us ch 27 automated responses. I’m getting a response do you think it should get a response 3 miles inland. Does anyone have any other wa

From the Sea Tow website..."Automated Radio Check Service uses one of VHF Channels 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84. Simply tune your radio to the proper channel for your community. "

Go to their website and input your zip code to see the nearest station and radio channel for your area. The video on the sites states that you will receive a response inland for about 10 miles. Buildings will effect the signal.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
First of all, not supposed to transmit from land, it’s illegal. Not to say people don’t do it. But that being said you probably won’t get a signal because VHF is line of site so all the buildings between you and the receiving antenna will block the signal.

27 intermittently works. Ask someone at the launch ramp to test for you on 72. Then do another check for people further away once out on the water. Or even better have a backup handheld VHF and test it yourself.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
What is your question? You wrote "I’m getting a response". To answer your question "do you think it should get a response 3 miles inland" maybe yes maybe no, it depends on the surrounding terrain and where boat us's remote base station is located in relation to your location. For some reason their automated test system is not on air all of the time. What does "Does anyone have any other wa" mean? You need to add more words.

Upvote 0