Veterans Day

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Pushed off early enough to get a few akule, never know when you might need some wigglers... Around 5:45 throttled up and headed west, not a specific plan, head generally towards the dog mouth. Maybe an hour or so later hear from a slip neighbor who is heading out as well, decide we'd keep in touch. After a couple more hours find an almost pile, chase them around for awhile. Slip neighbor eventually catches up, he gets a couple 6 pounders, then misses a marlin. A this point keep heading out, end up in the throat of the dog mouth.

Late morning decide to head over to the 1000 and follow it back in. An hour or so later see some bullshit birds (AKA MF'n bubble chasers), head that way, they are just inside of a slick, just as I cross the slick the stbd rigger lets go. Fish is dumping some line, so slow down and start clearing lines. Fish is airing out plenty, good get a little tired before boat side (if I am so lucky). Get the back deck set up, don the gear (at least for a while), its a good feeling the tug thru the belt and harness.

Have everything previously set up, gaffs/hand gaff/bat, no bang stick. Probably half way thru the battle, put the rod in the rod holder, just to finish it off. Get the fish to leader, port side of the boat, which kinda sucks because my left side is further aft which makes gaffing with my dominant (right) hand very difficult, not impossible though. Fortunately the fish is agreeable enough for me to get the final wraps with my left hand and am able to pull forward enough and reach back enough to get a good gaff shot with my right hand.

Of course that is when the fun starts, though the fish aired out plenty and was pretty stubborn, he had plenty of life when the gaff went in, I guess I can understand that. The transom door is to the stbd side, so I let the gaff shot bleed the fish out before moving over to the door. figure the fish is subdued enough so walk it over to the door, get it about half way thru when he decides to help me out, a couple kicks with the tail, he gets himself the rest of the way into the boat. Of course, he isn't done yet, I just put my weight on top of him until he settles down enough to get the bat to his head. Tough and fun.
blue 111121.jpg

By now its 2:30 and still 20ish miles to go. Head towards the harbor, lures out, fish gutted, headed, left the tail on for a handle. Got the tail tied off high enough that I could lift the forward end and get it in the box, released the tail and let it slide into the box, nice. Get in about 5:30, clean up, move the fish to the truck and head home. Cut the fish Friday will give it to my neighbor today to smoke.
lure 111121.jpg

JSI did the deed, that color pattern has been very active the last month or so.

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:

kapnd

Almost A Member
Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
Thanks for sharing the lure pic! That’s a beauty.
We’ve been getting lots of Marlin attacks lately, but not getting them to the boat.
I can’t say as any particular lure is working better, they’re hitting anything we put out there, and putting a big Kona head in the spread helps get the strikes.
Got this one on a 7” Mitsuo, I always have one in my spread!
36512192-70D4-41C6-B8A5-B651BC04C27E.jpeg

Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Nice job Pat. We got out of Haleiwa on Friday. Picked up some bait. Trolled up to X. Had a nice mahimahi grab a bait, but threw the hook. Trolled into the Dillingham area and ran baits. Had a couple of baits grabbed, but no hook up - probably needle fish. It was good to get out.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

hiloboy

Okinawaiian Sencho
Feb 26, 2009
Okinawa Japan
Name
Donald
Boat
Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
Sweet job Pat! Mahalo for a another great read, felt like I was there watching all of the controlled chaos:D !!

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
NICE ONE! Great report/info/pics and read.
Thanks Ron.
Thanks for sharing the lure pic! That’s a beauty.
We’ve been getting lots of Marlin attacks lately, but not getting them to the boat.
I can’t say as any particular lure is working better, they’re hitting anything we put out there, and putting a big Kona head in the spread helps get the strikes.
Got this one on a 7” Mitsuo, I always have one in my spread!
View attachment 1333686
Thanks Don, nice hook set and gaff shot.
Nice job Pat. We got out of Haleiwa on Friday. Picked up some bait. Trolled up to X. Had a nice mahimahi grab a bait, but threw the hook. Trolled into the Dillingham area and ran baits. Had a couple of baits grabbed, but no hook up - probably needle fish. It was good to get out.
Thanks Chuck, bummers on the miss, just curious did you troll by J, it should have been out, maybe Saturday. I did see it was going back in.
Looks like a good day.
Thanks Andre.
way to go Team BlackFin!

tight lines,
Thanks Eric.
Pat, nice solo long nose. Sounds like an exciting battle
Thanks Darren, definitely got a few war wounds, took a little better care of them than the other time.
Sweet job Pat! Mahalo for a another great read, felt like I was there watching all of the controlled chaos:D !!
Thanks Donald.

Heard BO is back on station, hope to head that way soon.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Pat,
I didn't get close enough to look for J. It may have gone back in on Friday or Saturday. The state website says J is now back in place.

These are what's missing per the state website:
Oahu - R, U, V, T, BO, and II

Upvote 0

Latest posts