Vessel Registration required for Kaboat?

jplee3

Wish I could catch as much as I fish
May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
Hey guys,

I'm assuming vessel registration is required for a 12' or 14' Kaboat (or similar style) inflatable kayak/boat crossover? Does this only apply IF you have a motor? I'm considering getting one of these + a 55lb thrust motor or maybe 4-6hp outboard for harbors/Mission bay and maybe a little outside the harbor.
It does have oars that come with it so if I didn't use a motor and just wanted to float around inside the harbor, would I *still* need to register it?

Upvote 0

Rusty123

Yep
  • Mar 7, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Bayliner cuddy
    And its prob just a few bucks. Watercraft is fairly cheap compared to cars and trucks.

might wanna look into getting one of those free boater handbooks- “ABCs of California Boating” .

477A6A32-7F8C-47AB-8C3F-D06F4ABB837B.jpeg

Upvote 0

Rusty123

Yep
  • Mar 7, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Bayliner cuddy
    Upvote 0

jplee3

May 3, 2007
    Irvine
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    n/a
    If it seems high, its prob because of the “vehicle use/sales tax” is included the first time you register.

registration itself is prob around $50-100
    Ah I see... so it's kind of like a "one-time startup cost" and then every year after that it's less.

Upvote 0

jplee3

May 3, 2007
    Irvine
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    n/a
    One other question: if I register the boat here, am I allowed to use it in places like Nevada and Arizona without having to register it in those states as well?

Upvote 0

jplee3

May 3, 2007
    Irvine
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    n/a
    Doesn't matter if the power is sail, electric, or gasoline, everything over 8' gets regi$tered.

Just looked here again - https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/register-your-boat-vessel/:

"If you own a sailboat over eight feet long or a boat/vessel with a motor (no matter the size), you must register it with DMV in order to legally operate it on California waterways."

The Kaboats are *not* sailboats and also do not need a motor - assuming both those things, it doesn't seem like you would actually need to register it if the intent is just to paddle around.

What is the process for registering anyway? Do you have to show up to the DMV with the boat and motor in person? Or can this be done all online currently?

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    The Kaboat is like any other inflatable boat. Put a motor on it and you need CF numbers.

You take the hull number and purchase receipt to DMV and register the boat.

Upvote 0

jplee3

May 3, 2007
    Irvine
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    n/a
    The Kaboat is like any other inflatable boat. Put a motor on it and you need CF numbers.

You take the hull number and purchase receipt to DMV and register the boat.
    Ah ok - good to know. Do most inflatables come with hull numbers?

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    There should be a hull plate on the transom with ID# and capacities.

From the Kaboat website:

help_q.gif
    What documents are needed to register my inflatable boat?

help_a.gif
    You will need a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO) and Bill Of Sale (BOS) to register vessel in US, along with invoice to show amount paid. Usually MCO and Bill of Sale provided inside shipping box. But, if any of these documents are missing or damaged, please visit the Downloads page for replacements and example how to fill out MCO and BOS.

You must hand write yourself all necessary information using pen: purchase price, your name, address and date of purchase. Please see sample how to fill out at Downloads page. Please email if you have questions. Enter boat length, width, and year, which is last 2 digits on Hull Identification Number (HIN). Don't forget to enter the correct HIN number that can be found on a transom of your boat, or side of shipping box. HIN number starts from letters VEJ and then numbers.

Important - DO NOT bring blank forms to the Tag agency. They will send you back. You MUST fill out MCO and BOS before going to registration office. If for some reasons you are unable to hand write your own name and address, we will gladly do that for you. If asked for Federal Tax ID, please use these number: 20-4161513.

DO NOT fill out section with Notarization on it. That is section to be filled out ONLY if you sell your boat to a private buyer, in case if vessel was never registered by original buyer. Leave that section blank. Notarization is NOT reguired to register boat purchased form us - manufacturer. The First Assignment section is for you to fill out when you are going to re-sell the boat to private seller without registration it first.

BoatsToGo, Inc represents manufacturers in the US, and a signed first page should be more then enough to register your boat. There are no manufacturers in the US who provide a notarized copy of the MSO. However some offices are just giving a hard time to customers. Sometime going to another register or Tag agency can resolve problem.

Once again, if paperwork was properly filled out with no errors, then notarization is not needed. However, if notarization is absolutely necessary for whatever reasons, we can provide a notarized copy of the MSO for a fee of $40. Please visit https://www.BoatsToGo.com/payment.asp to send $40 payment if you need notarization.

If you are having difficulties to register your vessel with Tag Agency in Florida, easiest fix is to go to different tag agency. In Florida all Tag Agency are private companies, and sometime they make up their own rules, which has nothing to do what is actually required. Easiest fix is either to go to different window or different Tag Agency. Tested 100%.

If you registration was rejected because office asking for manual hand signatures or bad print work, which happens sometime, let us know, and we will mail you new registration documents with hand signatures by pen.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Your going to row your good to go . Mount a motor you need tags . Bottom line .

Upvote 0