Vessel Assist.... which plan do you have??

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by ?? fisherman, Jul 4, 2014.

1. LTBOLTMAN

LTBOLTMAN Team Tail Chasers

Name:
    Leoman
    Boat:
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House

Isn't it 50 miles out, 50 miles back equals 100 miles?

2. Troy

Troy Under the Radar

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Pez Loco
    Unlimited Gold. $181 annually. Just renewed last month.

Hi Mike - We are still using your old trailer. Pulled the boat in June and parked it next to house for 3-4 weeks for a ton of maintenance. Always a nervous ride from the ramp to home (and back) with the boat sitting on that rust bucket of a trailer. I'm always worried boat's gonna end up on the street and us on the news.

Still the best free trailer ever! Thanks again!

3. SauerFish Charters

SauerFish Charters Captain 100 Ton MNC

Name:
    Eric Sauerwein
    Boat:
    42' Uniflite "SauerFish" 6 Pack
  4. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    The whole $30 argument is weak! It's the point of possibly paying extra for something you don't even need. If a guy decides he wants to piss an extra $30 away for something that he doesn't really need, then hey, more power to him. Me, I'm going to find out what the right plan is that I need and go with that plan.

So here is the deal...... The big difference between basic Unlimited & Unlimited Gold are 3 things...... two of which I knew about, and the other which I thought was the case and just confirmed it to be true..... and that last one was the biggie for me, and which was the distance covered.

So here is the breakdown.

Basic Unlimited
    *40 mile coverage (80 mile total)
    Unlimited Gold
    *100 mile coverage (200 mile total)

Here are the other two differences between Unlimited & Unlimited Gold

Paid Services Include:
    Payment for towing Member's disabled boat from the point of breakdown at sea to port of choice; at sea battery jumpstarts; delivery of fuel, engine fluids and basic engine parts to avoid a tow, subject to availability; soft ungrounding assistance; and towing the disabled boat immediately after breakdown from a restricted use dock to the Member's homedock or repair facility. A restricted use dock is one from which Member must move immediately, i.e. fuel or restaurant docks and docks without overnight facilities. Thirty days following initiation of, or upgrade to, Unlimited Gold Service Level, Paid Service includes payment of the cost to tow Member's boat from any dock or mooring to the Members port of choice not to exceed a total towing distance of 25 miles. All other service levels ($50, $150 and Unlimited) include payment up to 50% of the cost to tow the Member's disabled boat from an unrestricted use dock or mooring, i.e. home docks or marinas, for the purpose of repairs, thirty days following Membership initiation or upgrade in service level. Paid Services apply to any recreational boat owned, borrowed or chartered by the Member and includes 24 Hour Towing Dispatch Service.

Paid Services are available when using BoatUS Licensed Towing Companies (TowBoatUS® and VESSEL ASSIST®) up to the SERVICE LEVEL on Member's card at the time of the breakdown or soft ungrounding. Service Levels include Paid Services up to $50, $150, UNLIMITED and UNLIMITED GOLD. UNLIMITED and Unlimited Gold Service Level Paid Services are provided for when the boat is disabled and towed within an UNLIMITED SERVICE AREA. An UNLIMITED SERVICE AREA is defined as at least 50 coastal miles (25 miles in any direction from a Licensed Company's port). Extended UNLIMITED SERVICE AREAS, 30 miles or more offshore, are available in many locations and can be found online at BoatUS.com/towing or by calling the BoatUS Towing Department at 1-800-888-4869.

Restrictions and Exclusions to Paid Services.
    Paid Services apply per Incident. An Incident is an event or series of events arising from the same breakdown. Member is responsible to pay expenses incurred in excess of Service Level active at the time of breakdown or soft grounding.

For non emergency assistance when a BoatUS Licensed Towing Company is not available, Member must contact 24 Hour Dispatch via VHF relay or 800-391-4869 prior to accepting assistance from another towing company. Upon authorization, Member is eligible for Paid Services up to $125 per hour from breakdown location to the nearest repair facility and soft ungrounding up to $10 per foot of boat length, up to Member's Service Level ($2,500 for UNLIMITED and $3,000 for UNLIMITED GOLD). If towing service is not available, BoatUS will contact a government agency. To receive reimbursement consideration, invoice must be submitted within 90 days.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  5. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Thanks again Eric.... I just got the lowdown with it being just like you said... 100 miles offshore for Unlimited Gold, and 40 miles offshore for Basic Unlimited. The guy even admitted that he does not know why they don't show the coverage distance in the plan page, and agreed that it was very vague. He said it might be because it differs in different areas/states, and that might be part of the problem.

6. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    LOL you still have that trailer Troy!?? Wow, that's crazy! I think it might be time to trade that thing in! And I thought I liked getting my moneys worth out of something ;) haha

7. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC

Hey Leo..... I asked the guy I spoke to on the phone today this very question, and he told me (more than once) that the 100 miles was not total distance but rather one way. I even asked him " So you guys will travel 100 miles out to retrieve a boat under this plan", and his answer was yes.... under unlimited gold, they will travel 100 miles one way and then back with no cost to those who have that plan.

8. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    :lux:

9. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Oh booooy......once again he doesn't get it LOL

Some of us aren't into just carelessly throwing our money away.

To just bend over and pay the extra $30 just because it's the better plan regardless of not knowing if it's something you need........ yep I'm sticking with the fact that's still really weak and even dumb!

10. finfan

finfan Member

Name:
    STEVEN
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin FB
    I would call .....

11. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Ok ok,we get it

12. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    I think the unlimited also covers you if you are captain of a boat other than yours IF the registered owner is NOT on board. Borrow a boat and you're covered.

My luck is the day I go outside 40 miles (it's 60 +/- to the 43 from Dana) is the day I hit a Mola and spin a prop. :D It's all about being honest with yourself in regards to what zone(s) you fish including that "wild hair up your ass" go long day.

Besides, it's marine related. I've been so conditioned at the marine cash register over the last 30 years that I now expect to pay more....no...I WANT to pay more :rofl:!!!!!

13. LTBOLTMAN

LTBOLTMAN Team Tail Chasers

Name:
    Leoman
    Boat:
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    ok, thanks Mike

14. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    [quote=". fisherman, post: 3461243, member: 63". h booooy......once again he doesn't get it LOL

Some of us aren't into just carelessly throwing our money away.

To just bend over and pay the extra $30 just because it's the better plan regardless of not knowing if it's something you need........ yep I'm sticking with the fact that's still really weak and even dumb!

The unknown fisherman:p:[/quote]

Funny, he, as well as most others do, but you don't. :urno1:

Classic.

Just step on the brake and put it in gear. You might move forward.

LOLLOLLOL

wils likes this.
  15. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    I'm picturing you talking to yourself here, Mike. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, I do get it. After spending tens of thousands on a boat (times more than a few boats for me....and maybe others here), thousands on fishing gear (tens of thousands for others, from what I hear), hundreds on just a single fishing trip (easily into 4 digits for some trips)...you are too _____ _____ (fill in the blanks) to put out the extra $30 to be able to go that extra mile to put your upside investment to work.

If you call $30 "carelessly throwing YOUR money away" (stop speaking for others), why the heck do you even own a boat if $30 A YEAR is over your "max-expenditure" point?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone has a boat that is capable of 50 miles one way, that boat is fully capable of going a few miles farther if that's where the fish are. So, for an additional $30 per year (not just one trip)...... why not?

16. gdreisch28

gdreisch28 Newbie

Name:
    Gregory
    Boat:
    Crystaliner 29 - "Sundaze"
    Here is the deal, pay the extra money for the gold card, in Southen California the range is 40 miles from the towers dock with unlimited and the Unlimited Gold Card covers 100 miles. So with the Unlimted gold, you can break down off Prymid head San Clemente Island about 30+ miles from Avalon. I will run the 30 miles tow you back to Huntington/Albay/Newport etc a 50+ mile tow then run back to Avalon, and not charge you a dime. Trust me its worth having the bigger memberships for a ton of reason. I pay the extra for unlimted gold on my Seaway.

17. Katmandu

Katmandu Semper Fi 0311

Name:
    Catalino
    Boat:
    Skipjack Open 20 ft. "Tale Chaser" & Tarpon 160i
    Imagine fishing 35 miles out within the 40 miles covered zone. Now imagine your power goes out and you're in an area where you're too deep to anchor and you're just drifting for 2-3 hours waiting for your tow. Depending upon the current and water condition, you can easily find yourself beyond the covered 40 miles zone and end up paying more than the $30 dollars you are trying to save. Yeah. I would rather pay $30 now than regret it later.

18. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    I swear to god...I can login to BD once a year or once a week and there will always be "this" thread from ??...Too funny.

Thank god the internet wasn't around when shoes went from strings to velcro; back to strings. Just think of the mind bending experience ?? went through without the community of fishermen to help tie his shoes! Fuck.

19. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Oh Tues, now that guys is funny...... he would be the guy who if we were stuck out in the desert or woods..... he would be the one begging me to help keep his ass alive...... guaranteed!! But the guy sure know his bubblers, I'll give him that!! :p:

For the trailer boat guy that never ventures past 40 miles (or anywhere close) and knows he never will, then the basic Unlimited is exactly what he wants and needs, and there is no reason (other than being naive & dumb) to spend the extra $30..... which is why that plan is their most popular. Max bro, you disappoint me...... I surely thought you of the few would have been the one to get that...... you're not one to just carelessly throw out money, so how did you let that one fly by you??

So I'm trying to figure out....did I ever say I wasn't getting the Unlimited Gold..... pretty sure I didn't! Matter of fact I am getting the Gold (once again), now that I found out the different mileage coverage between the two, which wasn't listed on the plan page of the VA site.

It was a pretty simple question really, that I decided to quickly ask before splittn' to celebrate the 4th last night, with not enough time to discuss and wait on the phone........ plus I knew a few of the shit sTALKERs would pop up in here and make it fun, and they definitely didn't disappoint :D.......... funny how some of you guys can turn n twist a basic solid question about boat towing insurance into something else....... haha what fun!!

20. curt lj.

curt lj. .

Name:
    curt ljungquist
    Boat:
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    Hey ?? I think that for you, I would be more concerned with AAA coverage cause your rig never gets in the water.LOLLOL