Vertical jigging and slow pitch jigging hybrid rod

davidpratt

Jul 28, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
David Pratt
Boat
Not yet
I'm no expert but I have a few dedicated SPJ setups that I've been fishing with since last year and love fishing this style here in Socal.

I was cruising the Temple Reef site and saw the Project X rod (vertical and slow pitch in one rod) and the idea seemed very appealing for socal fishing. I totally get that a dedicated setup is probably best for each style but having a hybrid setup like this would be great for something like going to the coronados and doing SPJ if we stop for rockfish and then the same rod for vertical jigging for YT.

Whats the deal with this concept? Anyone try one of these things?

Seems like you might have to have some serious compromises on each side, but then again, I was thinking maybe a heavier SPJ setup with a lighter jig could work the jig well enough for vertical jigging.

Would an SPJ setup rated for a 300g jig be able to work a 100g vertical jig similar to a vertical jigging rod?

Reactions: Willdoggy
Upvote 0

Mandaragat

Almost A Member
Sep 5, 2012
Texas
Name
Mark
Boat
None
I speed jig a 450g max SPJ rod with 250g jig in 300-400 yards depth. I have also an SPJ rod that says Slow 400g max and High 200g max. So, it looks like 50% of max weight in Slow is for fast/speed/high. I also speed jig a High Pitch rod that behaves like a traditional vertical jigging rod.

Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Go to Anglers secrets.com and read Totos take on "action tone".

A heavy jig on a light rod will give a softer slow fluttering action for ambush feeders and bottom dwellers. A light jig on a heavy rod will give a faster erratic action well suited to faster fish chasing species like amberjack, tuna, and yellowtail.

Upvote 0

SergeyS

Oct 8, 2020
Huntington Beach
charkbait.com
Name
Sergey Smith
Boat
Imaginary
I haven't fished one but I've pulled on all of the models. Project X is a 1 piece rod and bends a lot deeper than the rest of the models they make, it feels like a Gravitate with more recoil distributed throughout the entire rod. With a load it will bend through the entire blank whereas most of the two-piece rods will start to shut off at the reel seat. With the high speed jigging I think being able to load the rod more will help you with getting more recoil on the jig with each pull without sacrificing on the slow action of the rod by making it stiffer. It definitely doesn't sacrifice anything as far as SPJ, unless the length is a concern for you.

Having a hybrid is useful here because we can't always fish in low current or control for it. It's much easier to stay vertical with a faster presentation so having the option to switch back and forth is nice. I think it will be great especially in some of the <200ft spots as a high speed jigging rod to replace a yo-yo iron reaction bite.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
I haven't fished one but I've pulled on all of the models. Project X is a 1 piece rod and bends a lot deeper than the rest of the models they make, it feels like a Gravitate with more recoil distributed throughout the entire rod. With a load it will bend through the entire blank whereas most of the two-piece rods will start to shut off at the reel seat. With the high speed jigging I think being able to load the rod more will help you with getting more recoil on the jig with each pull without sacrificing on the slow action of the rod by making it stiffer. It definitely doesn't sacrifice anything as far as SPJ, unless the length is a concern for you.

Having a hybrid is useful here because we can't always fish in low current or control for it. It's much easier to stay vertical with a faster presentation so having the option to switch back and forth is nice. I think it will be great especially in some of the <200ft spots as a high speed jigging rod to replace a yo-yo iron reaction bite.
thanks for the input @SergeyS ….so if you have to grab one for our local trips up to 3 days…which Stage 1, 2, 3, or 4 will you highly recommended to have one? Tia.

Upvote 0