karlk1125

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
Specifically in baja and similar waters, what have you had better success with...the normal or the long jigs? and what colors have been the most productive?

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Pink

Upvote 0

karlk1125

Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Yellowtail primarily on the cortez side

Upvote 0

DoubleA

Feb 11, 2010
Central Florida
Name
Aaron
Boat
which ever one they'll let me on
you need someone that went on the long range Royal Star trip recently. thats all they went after. let me see if i can find you a thread with all that info....

Upvote 0

karlk1125

Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
thanks aaron. I'm not sure if these are well known...but they're almost 10 dollars cheaper than the shimano butterfly's and almost as nice: Deep Vertical Jigs

Upvote 0

DoubleA

Feb 11, 2010
Central Florida
Name
Aaron
Boat
Royal Star Thread

the guy who wrote it is a good guy - im sure he's be happy to let you know what worked and what didnt. i would have thought there would have been a thread on this on this forum but i couldnt find one... oh well!

Upvote 0

karlk1125

Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Oh i'm definitely gonna buy a shit ton of those no worries. Vertical jigging will come in handy though when i'm fishing the heavy currents around BOLA and it'll be a very interesting technique to use in deep water for yellowtail, grouper, and anything else thats hungry.

Upvote 0

DoubleA

Feb 11, 2010
Central Florida
Name
Aaron
Boat
thanks aaron. I'm not sure if these are well known...but they're almost 10 dollars cheaper than the shimano butterfly's and almost as nice: Deep Vertical Jigs

Jim from Eastern Tackle is a GREAT guy! makes some awesome jigs! i have an assortment of all of his stuff - they catch fish, for sure!

i really like the new hammered First Drop Jigs - they just look like fish will eat them up! i use his X-Longs for AJ, they cant say no! and pretty much anything in potroast will slay the bottom fish!

if i were you - email him(eastern tackle) and ask what he thinks will work the best, combine that with what Greg(royal star guy) says and you should be good to go!!!

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Why not just buy an assortment of 6xJr's and call it good???

Because there are days when the action, weight and size of a 6x is not what the fish want or ocean conditions will permit, yet they will bite other Iron.

Upvote 0

labayfreak

Almost A Member
Mar 7, 2008
Surprise Arizona
Name
Ray Oslie
Boat
24' Sea Hunt Reel Fun
We used knife brand jigs in the 150 gram in pink , mackeral , and sardine and the yellows bit the hell out of them . We did very well with them in San Carlos , Sonora in February at San Pedro Island. And they too are half the price of Shimano

Upvote 0

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
Because there are days when the action, weight and size of a 6x is not what the fish want or ocean conditions will permit, yet they will bite other Iron.

John...quit poking the monkeys...

Upvote 0