PENN

N1GHTR1D3R

Jul 23, 2020
SoCal
Name
TJ
Boat
not yet
Went after Rockfish on the Island Spirit for the first time with a couple buddies of mine. Had Captain Cody up in the pilot house, Chase, Jace, and Bree worked the deck, and Gavin was in the galley and was more than willing to help out on deck when things got hectic. The seas were up for most of the day but things layed down in the afternoon. We left Ventura Harbor at 6am already baited up and we did not head for the islands like I expected but instead went for a high spot 20ish miles out. Fished in over 400ft of water for great quality rockfish with a few decent sized reds mixed in. Used 16oz. weight and double dropper loops. Cut squid worked well throughout the day but live sardines and anchovies worked well. I decided to try out one of those premade squid dropper loop setups from Walmart that glow in the dark for the heck of it. Surprisingly they worked quite well and I ended up catching more on the artificial than I did on the cut squid.

Overall we ended up limiting out on Rockfish with only one small (~24in) ling were caught and more than a few giant cow cod were caught and released. What stood out to me was that the Captain and crew were a class act. One of the best crews I've been with on an open party boat. Cody kept us on the spot masterfully even with the rough seas. Deckhands were awesome and made quick work of any tangles and helped those that were inexperienced. Gavin threw down in the galley with awesome burritos and burgers.

I recently moved out this way and I've been looking for a good day boat. I will definitely be back when my freezer is almost empty again. Looks like its gonna be a great season!

Upvote 0

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Couldn't agree with you more. I went out on the Island Spirit a few weeks ago and will definitely be back!

N1GHTR1D3R

Jul 23, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    TJ
    Boat
    not yet
    Been out again lately on IS??
    I have not. Been focusing on Overnight trips for seabass and have recently started going after tuna. From what I've seen they have been focusing on shallow water island fishing. Calicos, cuda, whitefish, etc. If you have any questions let me know.

Upvote 0