Value rods and reels

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by hawksfan75, Feb 21, 2018.

1. FishPimpII

FishPimpII Dreaming about the next boat...

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" now that the FishpimpII is sold
    This is an interesting discussion that would be well suited to have over beers sometime this spring.
    On the one hand I have the budget busting devil team Sency on one shoulder pointing out how a great rod or reel will be a family heirloom. On the other hand I really enjoy finding treasures. Especially older rods and reels that may be forgotten but have a great action or great design and can be had for a bargain if you shop around. (Metal body Bantam mag 251’s and older fenwick or lamiglas glass rods for example)
    As my budget has increased over the years I appreciate the action of the sage/loomis and islanders more and while I Don’t think it catches any more fish to fish that way the fight on smooth good equipment really does feel better to me, but I think as my kids get into Fishing it will be back to the ugly sticks and abu Garcia 6501’s for salmon for awhile for less stress.
    So while I agree with the fish what you can afford crowd I also think you can calculate in how less often you need to replace quality equipment and that may help justify spending a bit more for made in America or just quality made stuff in general.

Cohoho, Team Sency and sgwill122 like this.
  2. yelloweye

yelloweye Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    24' Skagit Orca
    Daiwa M-One moocher on a Shimano Convergence rod for salmon trolling. Ugly stick tiger lite jig rods for a lot of halibut and tuna fishing. I've probably caught more halibut on a Penn 113H than most ever will. A very good cheap albacore reel is a Penn GTI 320 or 321 with the level wind removed; troll, jig, or livebait. Penn Jigmasters have probably caught more albacore than any other reel out there. BTW, if it isn't left hand retrieve, you won't see it on my boat.

Effjay and FishPimpII like this.
  3. gabe0308

gabe0308 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
    The Shimano convergence rods are a great deal for a 10’6” rod. They are my go to downrigger rod. I started our with Abu Garcia reels but they seemed to go to shit once production went to China. Then swapped to Shimano TR reels, then Shimano Tekotas, then Shimano mooching reels, and have finally started to swap over to Islanders. You don’t have to start out with fancy expensive gear but I have taken the time to slowly upgrade over the last 15 years as able. Slowly converting my Penn Senator collection over to Avets now. I think one of your best bang for buck is the Avets as they can be used for most species. I use my MXL for salmon, tuna, lings, and halibut. Just throw on 50# braid and whatever topshot you need for the day.

woodrow246 and Team Sency like this.
  4. Salmonmoocher

Salmonmoocher "Holding My Own Rod"

Name:
    Billy Bob
    Boat:
    27' Grady White "Main Break Too", 17' Seaswirl CC "Salmonmoocher"
    The Translation for Okuma = Piece of Shit. It costs me $162.50 per Halibut day to tie our boat up at NB. I will forego buying coffee at Fivebucks and take my lunch to work each day. I only buy the Best reels, maintain them and my Kids can figure out how to auction them off when I’m gone. Long live Avets, Tanacum Bulls and Tekota reels. As for the sticks they mount to, I prefer the Rainshadow, Super Seeker and Calstar homespun ones i build. It’s like buying cheap ammunition to hunt with...I only got so many more opportunities why waste them. Set your priorities and if She doesn’t like them then figure it out!:D

5. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    X2!

I have a few convergence rods Shimano 2000 GT's This combo has seen a lot of action and are completely bullet proof!
    Oh! and don't drive a fuckin Prius Eric! Keep a semblance of your manhood intact.

“biteme” and Effjay like this.
  6. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    Priorities- Drive a Prius = Islanders for meLOL

I have both, value and nice (well actually I haven't fished the nice yet). There are lots of things that we buy because of want, not because of a requirement.

7. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    I can give you the coordinates to a brand spanking new Penn Battle II and quality graphite rod.

If you find it, I'll even give you the box the reel came in!

bigdood, Elkfins and FishPimpII like this.
  8. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    I’m 6’8” tall. No Prius driving for me

Nick Rudnick likes this.
  9. Fowlplay

Fowlplay Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mitchell
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 XLD"Bucket List"/20ft super vee
    I reoutfit our tuna gear/salmon for the boat every couple of years for the last 15 years. I have fished everything from salmon and sturgeon gear when we first started to really high end gear(Shimano terez rods, talica and Tranx reels). The best budget livebait setups I have found would be Avet MXJs just under $200 on sale paired with Okuma Makaira 8ft medium heavy around $130 on Amazon the have a lifetime warranty. The cheapest livebait rod is a jackpole no reel needed.

Salmon rod/reel combos on a budget would be okuma coldwater low profile reels around $85 on sale paired with the okuma guide selects around $100. Those reels are really smooth for the price.

10. Captain Toeknee

Captain Toeknee Newbie

Name:
    Captain Tony
    Boat:
    22' Hewescraft Searunner aka The General
    Bargain Basement salmon set up would have to be the Penn 209/Eagle Claw combo for $60 at LFS.

My setups, all $200 or less, include:
    Salmon - Shimano Convergence $70 w/ Shimano Charter Special TR2000LD $130
    Tuna (live bait) and Lings - Shimano TDR $30 w/ Shimano TR200 $60
    Tuna (trolling) and Halibut - Okuma SST $55 w/ Penn Squall 40LD $130

I enjoy fishing with this economical gear and it's kept my freezer full of fish. I've fished with fancier gear and it's cool to experience what a $500 rod/reel feels like but I don't need the expensive stuff to kill fish.

11. Nosecrets

Nosecrets Blackmouthers good side

Name:
    Blackmouther
    Boat:
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    I’m straight so therefore no Prius driving for me either

12. FishPimpII

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    I’m straight so I can drive a hybrid and not feel insecure about it.
    But I can’t fit in a Prius either so I’m Big ballin in a Camry!!

ColdEye and Nosecrets like this.
  13. Mazu

Mazu Member

Name:
    Leif Jackson
    Boat:
    22' Sea Sport, "Mazu"
    I caught a shit ton of salmon on Daiwa Wilderness rods ($11 boat show special) and Penn $20 yard sale reels. Literally $30-40 setups.

Then my yard sale days ended, and I caught a double shit ton of salmon on Shimano TDR rods and the same Penn 209 reels, but new. Probably $100 setups.

Now I fish more expensive gear. Do I catch more fish? Maybe. But because of years of experience. Not because I spend more on equipment.

I'd say there is NOTHING wrong with fishing with value gear. You're fishing, who cares what anybody else thinks.

I'd also say there is nothing wrong with spending your discretionary cash on some stupid expensive fishing gear. Like Sency and some others said, nice gear is enjoyable to use.

My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I SAID I paid for it.

14. mrfish11

mrfish11 "Ice Melter"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Please give her my number Leif.

Mazu and Titan like this.
  15. Team Sency

Team Sency Unleash the hounds!!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    JuiceBox2
    Leif....let’s keep this discretionary cash thing on the DL from the wives!!!

16. USMC8541

USMC8541 SOB!!!

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24TE

17. cj6530

cj6530 Member

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    NR
    For under 80 bucks you can convert your old Shimano Charter Special level wind to a topless version that is perfect for salmon, Albacore....whatever. IMG_0609.JPG

hawksfan75 likes this.
  18. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    What's funny is how everyone is saying "Oh, you pay alot for the quality up front and it will last". Guess what, if you paid for a Penn reel 50 years ago, and rinsed it off in fresh water now and again, it's still reeling in chromes just as good. Same with the Penns today. Sorry, not buying the 5 Benjamin reel. I think it's a waste of money and a "look at my shit" type of thing. My 2 cents...........

Odin7 likes this.
  19. FishPimpII

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    Ok. .02 more after getting a screaming deal on a used rod today.
    Don’t be afraid to buy quality used gear. Especially rods. It’s going to get a scratch if you catch a bunch of fish with it anyways so for the same price as that okuma find a used loomis or lami!
    I’ve had good luck with used reels too but I’m also willing to go through them and make sure everything is working myself so I make sure that’s figured into the price.

Realdeal likes this.
  20. TwoTapPat

TwoTapPat Oh ya that's jazzy

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    High on the Goat
    I hear a bus coming down the line. Run little buddy run. I won't tell if you take me fishin.