Valiant bv2-800 line and rod setup

Discussion in 'Accurate Fishing Reels Support Forum' started by shooter21, Feb 14, 2018.

1. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    Clearly biased? All these people have been helping you for the last several weeks and you call someone’s comment clearly biased? Hmmmm..

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I hope Accurate is correct about the ARB alone being adequate. I worry that if the reel is in the rod racks for a 15 day trip that salt will get in the ARB and cause it to fail. Constant maintenance is the key, of course, but maintenance is hard while at sea -- and not everyone does it on land either. But I have to admit that an ARB anti-reverse feels fantastic. I really want to fish one of these reels.

3. Jpoe1611

Jpoe1611 Newbie

Name:
    Justin Poe
    Boat:
    Skipjack

Bill we agree with you. If you are headed out on a long range focusing on cows and you want to absolutely have the best chance and the most HD gear available then the ATD is several clicks above where the Valiant is. The Valiant is awesome! Light strong and powerful. That said it isn’t an ATD. Anglers that want to gunnel grind on a super cow or rail fish big ones all day will be better served by an ATD. That said the Valiant has proven worthy thus far. I feel if Anglers do not exceed the recommended usage of the 800-1000 they will be surprised how strong it is. We recommend them for 80 and 100.

rexor_rn and PezGallo21 like this.
  4. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Don't worry: I have my trusty 50T spooled and ready for my 15 day in a couple weeks...

PezGallo21 likes this.
  5. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Well Said! So for me who only goes out mostly on 2-3 dayers trip 3-5 times a year the Valiant BV-2 1000 serves my purpose.....Someday if I decide to go on Long Range trip then il upgrade or add the Makaira 20/30 sea for such purpose. ATD’s as great reel as it is are just way beyond my budget.

AdamHJeep likes this.
  6. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Thats my point... prob for the next 3 years ill be maxing out trips at 6 days to as far as Guadalupe prob only 2-3 times a year. If I do a PV cow trip ill rent a 50 to use.

I think my new fall setup is gonna be a Valiant 1000 on a custom UC Viper acid wrapped railrod. Looking at the new reelquickfishing.com reel seat locking system too.

shooter21, PezGallo21 and rexor_rn like this.
  7. graywolf

graywolf Newbie

Name:
    tufan
    Boat:
    ask Ike,took it away
    I just put JB solid 80 on my BV2,800N,it took 380 yards and room for 80 pound Varivas top shot

8. abj5150

abj5150 Service Technician, Advisor and Customer Support. Advertiser

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on
    To the question about the reel not having dogs: Not having redundant dogs is not anything to worry about with this reel. We use a custom stainless steel bearing in all of our Accurate reels. We have never known one to fail other than maintenance issues. We make the Dauntless series of reels which have two back up dogs for those who prefer a reel with dogs.

9. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold it! Can't we just take yours?
    You don't need to buy a fancy needle kit. I use a piece of wahoo wire folded in half. By folding the wire you get a blunt end to feed through the hollow core. I use a 100# hollow core topping over 80# Maxcuatro to maximize line capacity and strength. When you get past the connection between the two you can crank down the drag and really put the wood to the fish. You will need a serving tool (Bobin) for the connection where the hollow goes over the solid.

InDeepShip and graywolf like this.
  10. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Thanks! Yes Ive decided to go with the BV-1000. Spooling it with 130lb. Any idea on its capacity of 130lb with leaving room for a 50ft top of 100lb (if i ever go longer range and use for LB)? If its under 500yds of 130 then i might but a backing of 300yds of 80lb. Gonna pair with a custom acid wrapped 7'6" Viper and itll be my heavy flatfall setup this fall for up to 3 day trips.

11. abj5150

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on
    The reel is rated for 1000 yards of 100 pound braid. There are several variables to consider with what brand and actual diameter you are using, but mathematically you should be able to get 700 yards of 130 pound braid on the reel with no problem.

AdamHJeep likes this.
  12. abj5150

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on

13. Surfersteve79

Surfersteve79 Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    Aztec
    Thanks for answering this! This makes my decision to scrap the Makaira 20
    Glad I saw this thread! This answers my indecision on a Mak 16 or the BV2-800. I was thinking to pair perhaps a heavy duty UC or Seeker. Due to that reel being so light weight probably be best to purchase reel then put it on rods I’m interested to see how it feels. How many yds of 100lb JB hollow get on that reel with a spliced 7-8’ 200lb fluoro or mono top shot wind on?

PezGallo21 and rexor_rn like this.
  14. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler

Tough to say exactly. I am not entirely familiar with using JB hollow personally. You will get plenty of capacity that is for sure, but based on our 800 yards of 80 pound TUF-LINE XP rating, any good shop should be able to give you a much better idea of how much line to expect than I could.

15. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    With the strength (and success) of the new ARBs, is there any consideration to scrapping the mechanical dogs in the ATDs and replacing them with ARBs?

16. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    Good question, but as of right now there is no plan to redesign the ATD. The larger Valiants were not designed to replace the ATD, but to supplement, and fill a hole in the lineup of an extremely light yet powerful (emphasis on light when compared to the ATD) 80 and 100 pound reel. There are many uses we recommend the ATD for and as a result will keep it the way it is for the time being!

Tackleho619 likes this.