Valiant bv2-800 line and rod setup

Discussion in 'Accurate Fishing Reels Support Forum' started by shooter21, Feb 14, 2018.

1. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    Just received my new valiant 800 in black was wondering what line to put on this bad boy, also which United Composites rod would fit it best. Thanks

AdamHJeep likes this.
  2. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Im very Interested in this reel as a 50-80lb setup for long range tuna fishing. I would most likely fill with 100lb hollowcore and fish 25 yd 50-80lb floro wind on topshots. How much 100lb hollow JB braid will fit on the narrow and /or wide?

The weight, drag, and line capacity are perfect IMO and im super excited about it being only 25oz! Still debating on the narrow or full size. The narrow has the advantage of faster vertical jigging but ill decide once i got them in front of me and depending on line capacity.

My only reservation is it only a anti-reverse bearing and no backup pawls. Have been told this makes it unreliable for long range type stand up rail fishing. What is Accurate's (or a reel service pro) official response to this? Wish Alan Tani would review one! Thinking about calling Charkbait and asking them their opinion but would love feedback from the BD forum.

Have same question of what rod would best fit this reel and purpose with 1 caveat.... I travel alot and want a 2 piece 6-7ft rod with appropriate power that splits at the butt. I have an Okuma Andros jigging rod that splits at tge but rated 80-200lb braid. Not sure I wanna use tho as it doesnt really have a long enough foregrip section to use the rail if needed. Also it was designed to not be used with a reel clamp unless i epoxy over the integrated finger grips.

Looking forward to responses!

abj5150 likes this.
  3. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Can you post a pic of the black version? Didnt know thought it was only avail in silver/red or silver/blue. Any other colors available?

4. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    Here are some pictures, i was thinking 80# spliced with 75 yards 100# on top. I have a Mak sea 20 and a dx2-600 so I think this will fill that void perfect. I have all United Composites rods so its either going on raptor or a centaur. I like the spool width, it's defiantly not too wide.

20180217_074124.jpg 20180217_074116.jpg 20180217_074106.jpg 20180217_074059.jpg

graywolf and AdamHJeep like this.
  5. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Awesome! How the frick did you get a black one?! Is it custom? Other colors?

How much room you leaving for topshots and how long? Let me know how much line split you get with that configuration. BTW why splice 80 up to 100 and not just use straight 100? Seams to me it would only add about 75yds or so total extra on an already 600 yd capable reel (at 100lb hollow). Also 80lb hollow JB is way more expensive than 100lb. Just my thinking.

Are you concerned at all of the lack in Anti-reverse pawls? Another thread warned sgsinst and recommended the HX raptor over the BV-800 due to this especially if used for long range rail fishing cows. Even in the 50-80 line class.

6. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    Well I don't have this all figured out to tell you the truth lol. With the 80# I figured I'd stay within what accurate built it for and have plenty of line. I could go down to 60 or up to 100 in a pinch, if I run straight 100 there's no bumping up past that. Plus I have 100 on my mak 20. So that's why I was I put this thread out to get recommendations, I'm new to the hollow thing not even sure how to do it all

AdamHJeep likes this.
  7. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    I mean if your talking braid topshots before leader I have heard that upping the last 75yds or so is more for just a beefier more rugged line class that is submerged consistently during long soaks and for extra security during that up and down last part of the fight where tangles or line rub with other lines can happen (can change cheaply each season). Also i guess this allows for heavier mono topshot splices as i think 80 hollow better accepts up to 60lb mono /flouro and 100 hollow accepts up to 80lb? That is if you choose to bury your topshot leader in the hollow. I heard the bv 800 holds 700yds of 80 hollow JB and 600 of 100lb with a little room left to allow for BHP long range wind on topshots via loop to loop. I figure if 600yds isnt enough im in trouble anyways and going to sunset drag.

You could maybe put 130lb braid topshot on your Mak 20 then perhaps? The valiant 800 will be my biggest setup until i decide to go on longer trips and then id just get a Makaira 30 witb 130lb braid as an 80-130lb setup (only 1oz heavier than Mak 20).

I figure putting 100lb on it makes the bv 800 a possible 60-80lb live bait setup if needed and prob default be my 250g flatfall setup or for bottom dropper loop fishing.

My rigs will be as follows for up to 3 day trips...

Andros 5n 2 speed as a 15-25lb live bait setup
    Makaira 10SEa as a 30-50lb live bait
    Tesoro 12 for surface iron on a deckhand jigstick
    Boss 800 as a bottom jig / flatfall or 60-80lb live bait (if needed)

Here is a tutorial on line to line splicing.

And one on loop making

8. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    Thanks for the info bud, it defiantly looks better than using knots, which by the way I suck at. I need to get one of those needles and start practicing splices and loops. Do you prefer wind-ons or straight splices to floro topshot?

9. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    I can provide answers to a few of the questions posed here. First of all, with regard to the ARB, we use a state of the art ARB that is stronger than the dogs. If you were to break the ARB (which we have tried to do) and the reel also had dogs, the pressure that broke the ARB would rip the dogs straight out. With the release of the Valiant line, many people have been wary of the lack of dogs, and rightfully so, as ARBs used to be inadequate for the type of fishing people have been doing. However, the ARB we use is unlike others on the market and is much stronger than dogs would be.

By staying with this ARB instead of an inferior ARB and dogs, we cut down on weight while still adding strength to the reel. We decided to make a better product rather than to add dogs simply because that is the way things have been done. The BV2-800 has been continuing to prove its worth on Long range trips up to 14 days so far in addition to landing the 424 pound YFT out of Loreto a few weeks back.

An 80 pound reel that does not have dogs scares a lot of people, but we are confident once you fish one you will realize why we stuck with our ARB. We are working on filming our attempts to break the ARB in our factory so stay tuned for that video once show season slows down.

Regarding rigging, we designed the reel to fish 80 pound to 100 pound braid with most guys opting for a fluorocarbon topshot, either a longer wind on, or short 4 foot section.

With regard to color, we were very excited to announce this week that we are stocking all Valiants in Blue/Silver and Black in addition to the Red/Silver color scheme!

If there are any other questions I can answer please shoot them my way! FullSizeRender 18.jpg

Surfersteve79, AdamHJeep and NATIVE like this.
  10. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    It sure is a badass looking reel, love the weight compared to the tanks everyone makes. Here's my setups.
    Bv2-400 30#
    Bv2-500n 40#
    Bv2-500 50#
    Dx2-600n 60#
    Dx2-600 80#
    Bv2-800 100#
    Am I missing anything?

CanIgofishing! and PezGallo21 like this.
  11. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    Maybe a BV-300 and in a few weeks you might be missing something else... keep an eye out!

Thanks for the support of Accurate, we really appreciate it!

rexor_rn likes this.
  12. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    I already know what's next at least I think, maybe I could get a deal from the factory doesn't hurt to ask anyways lol. I'll keep an eye out for sure!

13. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Will,
    Is the ARB in the Dauntless series a different and more inferior bearing as compared to the ARB in the newer Valiants ???
    Ger

14. abj5150

abj5150 Service Technician, Advisor and Customer Support. Advertiser

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on
    There are no concerns with only having the Anti Reverse Bearing and no back up dogs. With the ARB Bearing we use, if it breaks while fighting a fish, the back up dogs will likely fail as well. I see lots of reels come in for service and have never personally seen or heard of our current ARB ever failing. The most frequent issues are from lack of maintenance and they get corroded with salt build up. I also talk to volumes of our customers and have never even heard any complaints about an ARB failing. I leave it with the caveat that anything is possible, but it would be extremely rare.

AdamHJeep likes this.
  15. abj5150

abj5150 Service Technician, Advisor and Customer Support. Advertiser

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on
    I don't know who commented about the lack of anti reverse pawls/dogs versus the Raptor, but the Accurate BV-800 has racked up multiple catches of tuna in the 200# to 300# class and there were no problems with the reel in general of the anti reverse bearing.

16. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Im thinking loop to loop wind on floro topshots. That way can change line class or setup (25yd long live bait wind on to short flatfall) in only a few minutes.

17. AdamHJeep

AdamHJeep Member

Name:
    Adam Harris
    Boat:
    Fish
    Great thanks for the info... was on another forum i posted on BD or maybe Stripers Online. It was clearly a biased makaira / avet fan. Based on the responses from you guys above I am decided this will ne my next purchase. Do you hapoen to have a figure on how much 100lb hollowcore JB will fit on the narrow and wide bv-800?

Thanks! I will copy your post on the other forum as well when i find it.

Surfersteve79 and Jpoe1611 like this.
  18. scubaarchery

scubaarchery ScubaArchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Thanks for sharing this is great info. I just switched to loop to loop but have been getting them from Basil. Will be cool to learn to make my own.

19. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I’m not disputing your claims of catching multiple 2-300# tuna, but where are these reports? I know I’m waiting for reports on this reel and I’m sure others are too. I’m hoping these reports are from an open party boat, not a charter.

dh515 likes this.
  20. Jpoe1611

Jpoe1611 Newbie

Name:
    Justin Poe
    Boat:
    Skipjack

We wind all reels once finished with Tufline XP solid core Spectra. We wind it twice and average the 2 numbers. They usually vary by 15-30 yds. We try to allow 1/8” spool still to show when we rate them. The 800 held 926 yard “full” of 80# Tufline. We called it 800 to underpromise and over deliver. We call the 800 narrow 600 for the same reason. All 2 speed reels are wound in low! 100# JB Hollow is the same if not a little smaller than 80# xp. It is made in the same factory by the good folks in Grand Junction Colorado. Hope this answers your questions.

AdamHJeep, PezGallo21 and shooter21 like this.