Accurate Fishing Reels

beskew171

Apr 29, 2018
Kingsburg
Name
Bryan Eskew
Boat
Davis Bahia
Was out fishing for salmon yesterday and the drag on my 300 had some major issues. The night before I preset my drag at about 7.5 pounds. The next day landed one salmon no issues, then on the second and third fish were lost as the drag decreased dramatically while fighting the fish. To have any drag at all I had to go into full or thumb it. I though maybe I was bumping the drag dial or something. So I reset the drag and placed it on the downrigger and it began loosening on the downrigger so I know it isn’t human error. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Braid slipping on the spool maybe. Did you something for the braid to bite on when you put line on it?

Upvote 0

beskew171

Apr 29, 2018
Kingsburg
Name
Bryan Eskew
Boat
Davis Bahia
I took it to a tackle shop to have it spooled. Caught a 25lb salmon on the same braid last year. I use this reel for rockfish up at Big Sur and have hung up on rocks/kelp and have to lock down drag/thumb spool to break off. Maybe this broke my drag?

Upvote 0

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
Newport
Name
Michael
Boat
Surfboard
Same thing happened to my buddies new tern 500. He hasnt done anything with it and it sat in his garage since, so im curious of your solution sorry I dont have an answer for you.

Upvote 0

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    I took it to a tackle shop to have it spooled. Caught a 25lb salmon on the same braid last year. I use this reel for rockfish up at Big Sur and have hung up on rocks/kelp and have to lock down drag/thumb spool to break off. Maybe this broke my drag?
    Based on what you have said about the drag locking down your drag to get out of rocks or kelp make have broken or bent one of the "E" clips on the spool shaft. There is no way for the drag to back off unless the spool shaft is moving.

Upvote 0