Vakuta Exploration Trip Papua New Guinea

Discussion in 'Anywhere Fishing Reports' started by Cameron Mundy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    A few months back we noticed a gap in Calendar had opened up, we had scheduled the time for maintenance on K2O but the boys have done such a sterling job over the last few months keeping her in tip top condition that we could afford to sneak one last salt trip in. The question was where should we go? Eastern fields, Portlock and Long Reef had given us some exceptional fishing over the last season but we felt the crew and clients needed a fresh challenge. We also wanted to test the waters around the multitude of islands that litter the central eastern side of Milne bay. We have an abundance of massive reef edges that drop away into incredibly deep water here in Papua New Guinea and this is where we have concentrated our efforts in the past so on this trip we wanted to make time to check out the more traditional type reefs systems that climb out of 50 to 60 meters of water instead of 1000!

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

The Star Reef System

The call went out for five people to join us on the trip and 5 blokes all from Sydney, Australia answered the call, we lucked out as all the boys were mad keen fisho’s with plenty of experience and top-class gear. John and I went to pick up Sondal, Mitch, Jamie, Heath and Jarrod from Jackson international airport we got them settled into our guest house the Madison. We headed out that night for Pizza and beers at the local and started filling the boy’s heads with tales of monster doggies and top water madness, some were so swept up in the excitement they wanted to hit the local Port Moresby night clubs but some sneaky driving and double talk on my part had everyone home in no time for the early morning flight to Alotau and K20 awaiting their arrival.

Our destination was a barrier reef 20 miles long that stretches south from the bottom edge of Vakuta Island, to the East lay a few thousand meters of water and to the West a huge expanse of broken reef and bommies that make up the star reef system. To the South West lay the Amphlett chain island where we wanted to prospect for GT’s on the shallower reefs.

The weather was not on our side for this trip as a howling easterly blew day in and day out with a little of the ever-present PNG rain thrown in for good measure.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

The weather was not kind to us

This put a bit of a damper on fishing on the outside of the reef and made jigging for the doggies tough as the drift was fast and the water deep. Despite this Sondal, Mitch and Jamie hit a great bite in a little weather window and landed three stonking fish weighing in at 51, 48 & 44 kilos. The more protected sections produced a great top water bite from everything besides the Geets who were not enjoying the low-pressure system hanging over our heads.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Jamie with the biggest dogtooth of the trip.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Sondal, Mitch & Jamie with 3 solid Dogs

We had more Spanish mackerel action than I’ve ever seen in PNG as well as multiple strikes from Sailfish. Sondal hooked up with a sail briefly on top water on his very first cast on the first day, but it was Captain Jed who took the honours of landing one on jig. We also had a couple of top water doggies which was fun. I missed a big fella which came up to have a look at my pink I-Cup near the boat but the rest hit stick baits.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Jeds Sailfish caught on Jig, He had a bet on with Jia An our sales manager that he couldn’t catch a billfish on lure before the season closed hence the smile. Jia An wore a wig to work for a week thanks to this fish.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Mitch with a solid topwater Spanish Mackerel

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Heath with one of the ever present Bohar Snapper

When we headed north up the reef using it for protection from the wind, the GT bite started coming on. Jed had a great session landing 17 fish in 2 and a half hours and I had a good one in a channel between the islands landing 6 and missing many more.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

The GT’s finally come out to play and Jarrod made the most of it

With the weather putting a bit of a damper on our exploration ambitions we didn’t get to explore the interior reefs much but the few sections we got out to provided us with some great fishing with GT’s, Bass, Trout, Spanish Mackerel and even small doggies coming up to hit the lures, to say that we didn’t scratch the surface of the area's potential would be the biggest understatement of the century.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Jarrod with a Saddleback Coral trout flying alternative colours

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Jamie with a Mac caught on the inshore reefs

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Guide Mea with a topwater doggie

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Mitch getting in on the topwater action

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Solid GT by Sondal

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Even I got in on the action

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Jarrod nabbed this grouper when it ate the Bohar he had on the line

For the last two days, we moved down to the Amphlett island to explore the region's potential, is a completely different setting to what we usually fish and is visually stunning with steep heavily wooded islands rising out of the sea, surrounded by clean clear water. We took shelter behind one of the smaller islands that had a couple of nice reefs a short distance away and started looking around. The area yielded a few good GT’s and surprisingly a number of small Napoleon Wrasse which was a great surprise. The weather conditions took their toll on the fishing making it difficult to drift the reefs effectively but there is a lot of potential for large GT’s. The reefs rise out of shallower water in the 60 to 90m region and the ledges leading up hold a lot of bait and a good amount of current flows through. All the ingredients you need for great GT fishing.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Jamie in Action

[​IMG][/URL

A big thanks to Sondal, Mitch, Jaimie, Jarrod and Heath from the K2O crew for coming along on this trip. They were the perfect anglers for an exploration trip and put in the few thousand casts and thousands of heavy jig drops that were needed to figure out the reef system. The boys took the weather on the chin and kept fishing regardless, never giving up and always ready for one more cast. Thanks again and hope to see you boys back in PNG Soon.

We’ll be returning to Vakuta in January/February which has some of our best weather conditions in 2019. We laid the groundwork on this trip but have barely even scratched the surface of the area in terms of possible fishing areas. If you like to help us explore give us a shout
    [/URL]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    impreza619, 432568, wils and 8 others like this.
  2. sealskinner

sealskinner Fashion Icon

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Wow. Awesome fishing for shitty weather.

3. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    Nice Spanish Macs-exceptionally nice-now clean up the last few pics Please- ask a Mod's help if you need assistance editing.

4. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    Cleaned it up bud my internet is about dial up grade here in PNG so posting reports can be a bit of a trial.

5. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
  6. Capt. Scott Goodwin

Capt. Scott Goodwin Capt. Scott Goodwin

Name:
    Capt. Scott Goodwin
    Boat:
    Glasser 16'8
    Wow, Thanks for sharing your report! You just made the front page of BD.

Shack likes this.
  7. mbhalihunter

mbhalihunter Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    none
    The grouper as hitch hiker is epic!

Cameron Mundy likes this.
  8. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    Cool Thanks Scott.

9. Tifoso

Tifoso Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Great work! Thanks for the pics. The bright yellow one is insane.:eek:

10. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    They are very cool fish, whats interesting is that they are a mutation of a very common type of Coral trout called a Saddle Back normally they are red with blue dots, but every once in awhile you catch the upgraded version!

Tifoso likes this.
  11. Tifoso

Tifoso Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Thanks a lot!

12. BernardMP

BernardMP Tailhunter

Name:
    Tailhunter
    Boat:
    N/A
    This report was awesome won't see anything close to this in California epic fishing on my bucket list for sure can anybody give me some info on how to do this

13. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    one day.....

14. 432568

432568 Newbie

Name:
    John Young
    Boat:
    SSMINNOW
    AMAZING!!!

15. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    Hi bud if you are keen to come fish with us give the boys at Salty Water Tackle a shout they have two trips coming up with us in 2018 one is full but I think the other still has space. Sami and Paul are great guys and can help with everything from tackle to travel.

Cheers
    Cameron

16. Eastcapedon

Eastcapedon Member

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Independence
    I'm interested in the trolling jig in the first Spanish Mack pic. Kind of Marauder like. Is that a Shell Shaping Twister F3? Thanks. Don

17. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    Hi Don, the lure is a Carpenter Bluefish.

18. chatt

chatt Chasing fish

Name:
    chatt
    Boat:
    Radon 21
    OMG!!!! That is what I'll go to bed dreaming about for a long time! Thank u for the cool ass report. Some day , some day!!!!

19. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    Cheers Chatt glad you enjoyed the report