Vagabond Pheonix rods 10 day

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
My buddy, Shaun, and I will be there! He's coming down from AK, I'm driving in from NM. We'll be there the previous day prepping gear, running to tackles shops, etc. Can't wait!
-Nick

Reactions: arkansastuna

Warlord

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
Bryan and I are staying on the beach this year. We’re hoping for a vaccine early next year. We’ll miss all our regulars!

Reactions: NaplesJohn

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
My buddy, Shaun, and I will be there! He's coming down from AK, I'm driving in from NM. We'll be there the previous day prepping gear, running to tackles shops, etc. Can't wait!
-Nick
Hery Nick, here are some notes for packing for your trip.

Flat Fall fishing: Captn Mike says not to use knock off brands but use shimano 250 gram glow in the dark ones. Make sure they are rigged properly like they do them on the VAg ( anti chaffing, big ass Mustad assist hooks made for flatfalls, and more)
Mustad Saltwater Fishing Heavy Duty Jigging Assist Rig w/ Ring (Size: 4/0 -  White), MORE, Fishing, Hooks & Weights - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore
Fish are deep so if you can mark your line with sharpie, much better. pull line off reel in back yard. I would mark the spectra in 100 foot lentghs and keep the top shot separate as one cuts off top shot as redo things after wear and tear. Just know how much topshot is on to start. the angle of the drift makes it harder to figure out the depth but we were at 400 plus feet at times looking for the big fish

Used a bit of 40 lb floro as we were getting a pick bite on 40 to 50 lb BFT during the day - live bait fishing. Used mainly butt hook and shoulder hook ( back of neck) and looked for a bait that would swim fast away from boat and keep going. If not this, pull in and get new bait. Also used 30 lb at times if Mike said OK to do( i got limited on my Lb test due to being on a fish 3.5 hours on earlier trip. Mike said throw 20 lb so I did ).

Used mucho 30 lb floro and need to buy more now fishing for YT on bait. We hit many places on the baja coast. Not much YT when we fished BFT at the TANNER bank. Not much YT on kelp paddies either. Did much coastal Baja as the ridge had 84 degree water and not much fish. GOOD NEWS FOR YOU = last day of our trip was Saturday 17th and wheelhouse radio report from other captain had water at the ridge cooling to 76 degrees and some fish showing.

we did not go to ridge due to hot water 84 degrees and this is bad for our bait so not much report about wahoo. We did scratch up one on the troll north of Cedros as we looked for the "wahoo paddy" that never could be found. SO usual wahoo gear is a must

Bring a pillow and blanket, sheets provided = I go SMALL for both but I stay warm in the cool cabins. Jacket definitely as nite fishing got cool with the wind. Far down south Baja was HOT

got to sleep now

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evike.com%2Fimages%2Fmustad-17950-sm.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evike.com%2Fproducts%2F17950%2F&tbnid=HQXjhmyWNESnUM&vet=12ahUKEwiUntr2-MLsAhWlGzQIHRaFCBkQMygMegUIARDFAQ..i&docid=QDlnnBMsqrKfOM&w=480&h=360&q=mustad%20heavy%20duty%20assist%20hooks%20flat%20fall&client=firefox-b-1-d&ved=2ahUKEwiUntr2-MLsAhWlGzQIHRaFCBkQMygMegUIARDFAQ

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Right on John, sounds like you had a good trip. Appreciate the tips and info. Tight lines brother.

Reactions: Rivers

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
Tic Toc ------ you time is getting closer....... wanted to add in some falt fall info on how to fish side vs rigging etc.

Fish were biting on the retrieve rather than the fall. So the flutter in the fall is not really part of the picture now. Instead you are mimicking the darting about of a squid. So once at your depth, real as fast as you can like in yoyo fishing but only turn in 15 to 20 turnsd of the handle. Then stop, rest a 30 seconds and repeat. So you jerk it up little by little and they have hit usually on my trip as you are reeling. SO just work it up through the most productive depths that hoefully the captain will be calling out to you.

This technique is nice as it does give the arms some rest but you are cranking the FF constantly thru the night. Still got a sore spot between the shoulder blades I never knew I had before. ALso, postion your pole to be faceing downwards towards the water, resting the rod on the rail to stabilize as you are cranking on the reel. Thus only thing moving is your cranking hand - not trying to hold pole upright while reeling.

Just bought me a couple more 250 g and 300 g Shimano glows as backups -- got the 8 day in Nov plus a 2.5 day that will focus on just BFT probably. Just remember limit is 6 total for longer trips. Try not fo fill up on school sized one -- leave a few tags for the jumbo's. Odd thing on my past trip was I became a "spectator" when my tags were used up -- still in BFT country

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
Right on John, sounds like you had a good trip. Appreciate the tips and info. Tight lines brother.
quick P.S. been super busy and have not checked reports. Do know when we got in last weekend reports had water temp at the ridge going down to 76 degrees from 84

here is report just stumbled on. Wahoo are biting better.

check out this website if you have not heard of it https://www.longrangesportfishing.net/index.php

then go to the report section

Shogun 8 Day Check In

10-19-2020
Shogun Office Staff
www.shogunsportfishing.com

The Shogun out of Fisherman's Landing in San Diego, CA checked in with us today.
Hey guys. Just checked in with the Shogun. They left on 10/15 and headed south to the rocks and the ridge. They have 45 wahoo and 180 yellowfin tuna. They are heading back up today to fish for yellowtail and fish the beach on their way back to SD. Wish them luck for the rest of the week. -Shogun Crew
We have some openings on upcoming trips! Check our schedule online at www.shogunsportfishing.com for future opening.

Rivers

Jun 9, 2018
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Shaun Nelson
Boat
Wicked Salmon
Tic Toc ------ you time is getting closer....... wanted to add in some falt fall info on how to fish side vs rigging etc.

Fish were biting on the retrieve rather than the fall. So the flutter in the fall is not really part of the picture now. Instead you are mimicking the darting about of a squid. So once at your depth, real as fast as you can like in yoyo fishing but only turn in 15 to 20 turnsd of the handle. Then stop, rest a 30 seconds and repeat. So you jerk it up little by little and they have hit usually on my trip as you are reeling. SO just work it up through the most productive depths that hoefully the captain will be calling out to you.

This technique is nice as it does give the arms some rest but you are cranking the FF constantly thru the night. Still got a sore spot between the shoulder blades I never knew I had before. ALso, postion your pole to be faceing downwards towards the water, resting the rod on the rail to stabilize as you are cranking on the reel. Thus only thing moving is your cranking hand - not trying to hold pole upright while reeling.

Just bought me a couple more 250 g and 300 g Shimano glows as backups -- got the 8 day in Nov plus a 2.5 day that will focus on just BFT probably. Just remember limit is 6 total for longer trips. Try not fo fill up on school sized one -- leave a few tags for the jumbo's. Odd thing on my past trip was I became a "spectator" when my tags were used up -- still in BFT country
Sure appreciate the tips, never have had luck with a flat fall and after reading this advice I know why. Thanks for the guidance. I’m still at work dreaming of the trip. Like waiting as a kid for Christmas 👍

Rivers

Jun 9, 2018
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Shaun Nelson
Boat
Wicked Salmon
Glad you can sleep!! I’m tossing and turning. Thinking about the trip. I am so ready !!
Hery Nick, here are some notes for packing for your trip.

Flat Fall fishing: Captn Mike says not to use knock off brands but use shimano 250 gram glow in the dark ones. Make sure they are rigged properly like they do them on the VAg ( anti chaffing, big ass Mustad assist hooks made for flatfalls, and more)
View attachment 1214078
Fish are deep so if you can mark your line with sharpie, much better. pull line off reel in back yard. I would mark the spectra in 100 foot lentghs and keep the top shot separate as one cuts off top shot as redo things after wear and tear. Just know how much topshot is on to start. the angle of the drift makes it harder to figure out the depth but we were at 400 plus feet at times looking for the big fish

Used a bit of 40 lb floro as we were getting a pick bite on 40 to 50 lb BFT during the day - live bait fishing. Used mainly butt hook and shoulder hook ( back of neck) and looked for a bait that would swim fast away from boat and keep going. If not this, pull in and get new bait. Also used 30 lb at times if Mike said OK to do( i got limited on my Lb test due to being on a fish 3.5 hours on earlier trip. Mike said throw 20 lb so I did ).

Used mucho 30 lb floro and need to buy more now fishing for YT on bait. We hit many places on the baja coast. Not much YT when we fished BFT at the TANNER bank. Not much YT on kelp paddies either. Did much coastal Baja as the ridge had 84 degree water and not much fish. GOOD NEWS FOR YOU = last day of our trip was Saturday 17th and wheelhouse radio report from other captain had water at the ridge cooling to 76 degrees and some fish showing.

we did not go to ridge due to hot water 84 degrees and this is bad for our bait so not much report about wahoo. We did scratch up one on the troll north of Cedros as we looked for the "wahoo paddy" that never could be found. SO usual wahoo gear is a must

Bring a pillow and blanket, sheets provided = I go SMALL for both but I stay warm in the cool cabins. Jacket definitely as nite fishing got cool with the wind. Far down south Baja was HOT

got to sleep now

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.evike.com/images/mustad-17950-sm.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.evike.com/products/17950/&tbnid=HQXjhmyWNESnUM&vet=12ahUKEwiUntr2-MLsAhWlGzQIHRaFCBkQMygMegUIARDFAQ..i&docid=QDlnnBMsqrKfOM&w=480&h=360&q=mustad heavy duty assist hooks flat fall&client=firefox-b-1-d&ved=2ahUKEwiUntr2-MLsAhWlGzQIHRaFCBkQMygMegUIARDFAQ
[/QU

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen

Somehow missed this post in amongst the others. Good stuff, John, thanks. Chomping at the bit here... tic toc is right!

Rivers

Jun 9, 2018
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Shaun Nelson
Boat
Wicked Salmon
Looking at google earth before bed!! Thinking of good times next week. Arctic 26 degrees to 66 in San Diego. I keep visualizing fish on the map structure. Picturing nicademus and his new rod launching into the air and departing the deck. I told you to ease off on that drag, brings a whole new meaning to watching the sunset 😄tic toc.

Rivers

Jun 9, 2018
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Shaun Nelson
Boat
Wicked Salmon
We’ll tackle and rods packed, clothes packed. Work tomarrow and catch the red eye south from Alaska. Snow and ice to yellow sunshine and blue water. Good crew , good boat, capt that knows his stuff. I’m scared of the work out ahead but stoked to be fishing during a memorable year. I wrote Mike Lacky in for president. 👍

Reactions: LoneStarTuna

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
Rivers, still have a kink in my shoulderblade area from all the flatfall winding. Should see the chiropractor but have been too busy. Plan is my upcoming 8 day should work it out.

hey Nick, you in town now for the trip ? Better have voted before you leave ! Thought you said you may be here early. SD Anglers come in tomoorow AM from their 10 day on the VAG. I will be busy working then.

Have a great trip. Wind and grind

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
hey Nick, you in town now for the trip ? Better have voted before you leave ! Thought you said you may be here early. SD Anglers come in tomoorow AM from their 10 day on the VAG. I will be busy working then.

Have a great trip. Wind and grind
Hey John. Yeah, drove in yesterday. Big winter storm in NM, didn't want to risk it coming in today. Two hours heading west in darkness, snow and icy roads. 40 mph on highway. Finally opened up and made it in good time to SD last night. And, yes, I voted. Will be at the landing in the a.m. to check out the offload.

Rivers

Jun 9, 2018
Eagle River Alaska
Name
Shaun Nelson
Boat
Wicked Salmon
Gear packed, headed to San Diego long flight from Alaska. I’m ready to put some smack down on some fish. Better prepared then I’ve ever been. Can’t wait to meet new friends and team up on some action. All about the guy to your right and left caring about each other. That’s what makes it happen👍🤘🇺🇸

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Anybody at the landing this morning to see haw the last trip did?
I was there. Only 12 people on the trip. Large piles of large fish. At least one supercow. I didn't stick around for other weights, but lots of fish probably mid-100s to cow size. Some numbers had 3 or 4 of the big models.. Fair amount of wahoo, too. Wahoo!!! A woman on the trip said people got from 3-10 wahoo apiece, but the sharks were pretty bad at both the rocks and the ridge. She caught "Four and three-quarters wahoo." :) Boat ate wahoo enchiladas with the 3/4's fish.
Talked to Mike this morning, he's not sure yet if we'll fish BF at the beginning or end of the trip. Wants to see what the full moon does to the bite. Though from reports, I'd say it can't get a whole lot better!
Shogun also offloaded this morning. They, too, had at least one supercow.

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
There were also plenty of YT in the piles.

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
Thanks for the trip report Nick. Could not make the offload. WAHOO !!!!!

So happy to hear that and that it was not one or 2 wahoo for the boat.

Thinking my next trip may shoot straight south as the wind will be up at 23 knots constant in the BFT grounds for the first few days of the trip. So maybe wahoo land first, then chase the BFT on the end of the trip.

Your weather looks great for the first part but hope you brought a jacket for Friday to Sunday as that wind i was talking about cranks up if one is in the BFT grounds

Reactions: nicodemus