Vagabond Memorial Day 2.5-day 5/27-5/30

Cplug

Jul 19, 2014
Name
Cplug
Boat Name
II Sons

We lucked out on this trip and hit the nail on the head for the big BFT bite. It started the first night about 10 PM when we hit a school Capt. Andrew “Fluffy” originally thought was smaller fish…but, everything that bit was between 80-170 lbs. We finished that bite with 20+ fish in that range. I got two between 150-170 (whole weight), and my trip was already made the first night. That drift lasted about 2.5 hours. Stayed up until 4 am that night, but after that initial school it slowed down.

During the day on Saturday things slowed down, a few fish on Colt Snipers and a couple handfuls of kelp patty yellows until the afternoon. Caught a small one on the Sniper. I believe in the afternoon things picked back up, and a sinker rig plunker bite developed. I got one afternoon fish about 150 lbs on a small knife jig on straight tie 100 lb. A cow was also caught on a sinker rig this afternoon. Saturday night a wide size range of fish were caught on the knife jig.

Sunday was all about the sinker rig during the day and afternoon (at least for me). I planned to just hook and hand this day. Throughout the day, I was able to hook and hand two fish on the sinker rig and 80 lb line which were both in the 150 lb class. Biggest fish I’ve ever handed off, but was already 110% satisfied.

I can’t say enough good things about the entire Vagabond operation. From the Capt., all crew members worked so hard and were outstanding, none of these big fish come to the boat easily. The Chefs in gallery were also great - friendly, funny, excellent food. Just an all around phenomenal trip.

View attachment 1388289

View attachment 1388290

View attachment 1388291

View attachment 1388292

View attachment 1388294

View attachment 1388295

View attachment 1388296

View attachment 1388297
Well handled. The handoffs will always be repaid.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
nii
goog.com
Name
go
Boat Name
Cabo 216
Stoked to see Capt " Fluffy" aka Andrew did a great job on his inaugural trip as the captain!! I am sure that Capt Mike and Cameron were a little nervous giving up the reigns but it sounds like they left it in good hands with Fluffy and the crew. Conrats to the new generation stepping up to the plate and hitting a home run!!

Upvote 0

goodkarma

Angler
Jun 22, 2005
SD <--> JAX
Name
Chris
Boat Name
19' Carolina Skiff
Like the treble hook ^^^^^^
Me too. I think I saw a previous post a ways back where you rig this way, and I also know this is the preferred rigging by the Excel crew (from previous conversations). One big ass treble on the back. This is a 5/0 Owner 4X treble, if anyone is wondering.

From my own experience with this treble, I haven't pulled a hook or had one shake off yet. Maybe it's just my own luck with it. I have both pulled hooks and had them shake off single assist hooks, though.

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Shogun
That jig looks fine!! You might want to retire it though just for sentimental reasons. Great trip you had and way to live up to your name!!!
Regards
Scott

Reactions: goodkarma
Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat Name
None
What is crazy is I was on the 3 day trip that was to come back the day this trip left (Friday) but our trip was canceled. Then I read this report. Thankfully I leave on the 10th. Jonesing to say the least...

Reactions: Wojo_FishPig
Upvote 0

Wojo_FishPig

• Mar 6, 2021
    OR Coast
    Name
    Mark
    Boat Name
    29’ Defiance - Coronado
    Our trip leaves on the 16th with the Vagabond - can't wait for it to get here. Jones'n on all these pics & reports 🐟💪🏻🎣🤙🏻

Upvote 0

chamackO

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2003
    SoCal and NorCal
    Name
    Alex
    Boat Name
    none

We lucked out on this trip and hit the nail on the head for the big BFT bite. It started the first night about 10 PM when we hit a school Capt. Andrew “Fluffy” originally thought was smaller fish…but, everything that bit was between 80-170 lbs. We finished that bite with 20+ fish in that range. I got two between 150-170 (whole weight), and my trip was already made the first night. That drift lasted about 2.5 hours. Stayed up until 4 am that night, but after that initial school it slowed down.

During the day on Saturday things slowed down, a few fish on Colt Snipers and a couple handfuls of kelp patty yellows until the afternoon. Caught a small one on the Sniper. I believe in the afternoon things picked back up, and a sinker rig plunker bite developed. I got one afternoon fish about 150 lbs on a small knife jig on straight tie 100 lb. A cow was also caught on a sinker rig this afternoon. Saturday night a wide size range of fish were caught on the knife jig.

Sunday was all about the sinker rig during the day and afternoon (at least for me). I planned to just hook and hand this day. Throughout the day, I was able to hook and hand two fish on the sinker rig and 80 lb line which were both in the 150 lb class. Biggest fish I’ve ever handed off, but was already 110% satisfied.

I can’t say enough good things about the entire Vagabond operation. From the Capt., all crew members worked so hard and were outstanding, none of these big fish come to the boat easily. The Chefs in gallery were also great - friendly, funny, excellent food. Just an all around phenomenal trip.

View attachment 1388289

View attachment 1388290

View attachment 1388291

View attachment 1388292

View attachment 1388294

View attachment 1388295

View attachment 1388296

View attachment 1388297

Nice report! Great to share the rail with you. Saw you hand off the rod to Giles, which made his trip.

Upvote 0