Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat Name
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    1st off want to say the Vagabond is a top tier boat. Cameron and his crew were ALL on point and did an amazing job of being on you when your were hooked up or needed a hand. The food was above avererage and our last seared tuna dinner was in the top 5 ive ever had on a boat. Kudos fellas, great job!!

Left Thursday morning and headed south about 70-80 miles. Found some fish but nothing wanted to bite while the sun was up. Dark 30 they wanted to bite. Most fish being down between 180-240'. Not big fish at all so no need for the heavy gear and 200lb bite leader. My go to was my 60 or 80lb set up tied straight to my jig. The jigs getting bit the best were in the 200-250 grams. I stuck to my (over rated) daiwa sk and got 10 that night. I got my 6 and then starting helping others out. I think the boat ended up with around 70 fish.

Friday.....SUCKED! Weather was up and fish were down. We got 1 fish on the troll for the whole day.

Saturday...seas laid down and fishing picked back up. We found fish throughout the day where we would get 1-3 fish a stop then at around 3pm we were able to get a school to stick with us for about 3 hours. Typical small bft plunker bite....20 floro leader and a #4 mutu circle hook with a hot bait was the ticket. Then night time set and those little bastards that wouldn't bite the light gear wanted to eat 80lb and a 7/0 hook. Lol. I used snipers and zakana's a bunch during the day and only got 1. I think it was the only small jig fish for the boat for the whole trip. They just were'nt interested.

I ended up getting 15 fish between 20-40lbs. Some of those were tagged for other anglers or handed off or ended up on our dinner plate.

Super fun spring time fishing! Last night i counted 28 boats all within a few miles of each other. You could hear "FRESH ONE" coming from all directions.

Sorry, I dont have a lot of pictures but here's my buddy getting worked over on 20lb.

20220521_171107.jpg

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    Nice report Anthony.

20lb? Uh oh. Was not planning on bringing anything that light...until now

Reactions: Kos
    Upvote 0

effigy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat Name
    Which one? Too many....
    Nice report Anthony.

Haha....I'm thinking same thing. Probably just put an extra reel in my bag...a little SX. And make my lightest rod a 700M.

Reactions: Kos
    Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat Name
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    Nice report Anthony.

I wasn't really prepared either Tim, I had to go digging for 20lb floro and some size 4 hooks to use on my 30lb setup. The "beauty" of bft fishing is you have to be prepared for fish from 20-200lbs. Nothing like showing up for your 3 day with 6-8 setups and a 100lbs worth of tackleLOL

Upvote 0