BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Central Texas
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
Returned yesterday from our July 4 day on the Vagabond.
Capt. Mike, Cuddles, Adam, Seth, and Jake on the deck, Brandon and Joe in the galley, and all were TOP NOTCH as always.

There is a tremendous volume of fish in the bight. Had the point in view the entire trip. Great ride but had the mosquito fleet on us most of the trip.

During the day fishing ranged from pick to plunker, mostly flylined baits on 40, butt or shoulder hook. Bait was great, but with a lack of current you had to run though a few to get one to swim away or down. If they swam, they got bit.
Small hooks were mandatory. #4 through 1/0 max. Yes, we straightened and broke some hooks.

Daytime fish ranged from 30# to 100#.

Night time was a jigging affair. The hot set-up was a 300g Rip Roller (I really don't think color mattered) with upgraded assist hooks and a min 200# flouro leader of 3 ft min. 300 to 400 ft drops and wind like crazy.

This is not much my bag, but my my son clobbered them on my custom 2X4 with a Mak 20 w/100# hollow and a 125# topshot.
The night time fish ranged up to about 180, but I am sure a few of the heartbreaks were much larger.

Plenty of causalities, particularly those that fished 30#.
I refused to drop down. I ran a UC Terminator with a Torque 25NLD2, 65# hollow to a wind on of 12 yds of Seagaur gold label in 40# and a #1 ringed offshore or equiv.

Great group on our charter limited to 20
Full limits for the boat.

Brandon and Joe kicked out some damn fine grub.

At unload I ran into Jeff from OCT and the legend known as Fishbuzzy that just returned from a killer trip down below (look for his report to come!).

Can't wait for our October 4 day. I love fishing with Mike and the crew.

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
Another fantastic trip on the Vagabond for your group. Itching to get back out on my next trip after your report.
Did you ever sleep? The crew works night and day and keep doing a great job

Said hello to some of your group as I got of the Vag trip that unload as you were in line. My comment was the knife jig and looks like that was the ticket again. Just stocked up on the rip rollers.

Curious if the flat falls were being ignored for the most part during the night bite.

So true about the bait during the day. You must burn through any bait that will not take off and keep swimming. Those that struggled did not use the fast swimmers. Can not repeat enough to change often and not worry about how much bait you are burning through.

Hope the yellowtail and other species mix in for your October trip

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Central Texas
Name
Carl
Boat
Another fantastic trip on the Vagabond for your group. Itching to get back out on my next trip after your report.
Did you ever sleep? The crew works night and day and keep doing a great job

Said hello to some of your group as I got of the Vag trip that unload as you were in line. My comment was the knife jig and looks like that was the ticket again. Just stocked up on the rip rollers.

Curious if the flat falls were being ignored for the most part during the night bite.

So true about the bait during the day. You must burn through any bait that will not take off and keep swimming. Those that struggled did not use the fast swimmers. Can not repeat enough to change often and not worry about how much bait you are burning through.

Hope the yellowtail and other species mix in for your October trip

So you were on Ken Wells trip? We arrived later than normal and I missed seeing him.
I used to fish his charter years ago.

I got sleep, but that's why I wasn't as successful on the night bite. Those that had the stamina were certainly rewarded.

Yes, some did fish the FF, but it is about 8 to 1 with the knife jig. Damn things work.
We originally only rigged a single hook on the bottom. My son got bit 5 times on one retrieve without sticking. They are biting the top of the jig. Once we added the top hook it was game on.

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2018
New Jersey
Name
Wojtek Wilczak
Boat
Friends
Hey Carl thanks for all your and Will's help. Could not do it without you, 8 fish haul for me from 30 to 130 lbs on my maiden Vagabond trip was unforgettable. Nighttime was my time, they liked what I threw at them, mostly striped rip roller-type rigs @300 grams. There was 1.5 hours when I went 4 for 6 at night, all in the 60 lb class. Carl guided me throughout the trip with sage advice...:) The boat and crew are impeccable, at the end I felt like I want to keep fishing a couple more days, lol. The bottom line was that if you put time at the rail you limited out. Wow, and I hope to be back next year.

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Central Texas
Name
Carl
Boat
Hey Carl thanks for all your and Will's help. Could not do it without you, 8 fish haul for me from 30 to 130 lbs on my maiden Vagabond trip was unforgettable. Nighttime was my time, they liked what I threw at them, mostly striped rip roller-type rigs @300 grams. There was 1.5 hours when I went 4 for 6 at night, all in the 60 lb class. Carl guided me throughout the trip with sage advice...:) The boat and crew are impeccable, at the end I felt like I want to keep fishing a couple more days, lol. The bottom line was that if you put time at the rail you limited out. Wow, and I hope to be back next year.

And you started to look like a live bait fisherman by the end of the trip Wojtek!
Great time fishing with you again.

Reactions: Wojtek Wilczak
Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Central Texas
Name
Carl
Boat
Thanks I have a 4 day coming up soon. Good information. I will need more small hooks. You used small j hooks?

For super stealth I like the owner Gorilla Light, but I have straightened a few.

My preference is the Owner offshore, which is a wide gap J with a slight offset barb
I ran out and also used the ringed gorilla in #1/0

When I engage I just push it up to about 4 lbs drag and wind until they pull line, then move into strike. Unless they inhale deep, it always sticks in the corner like a circle hook.

Reactions: ripped and Brad I
Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
So you were on Ken Wells trip? We arrived later than normal and I missed seeing him.
I used to fish his charter years ago.

I got sleep, but that's why I wasn't as successful on the night bite. Those that had the stamina were certainly rewarded.

Yes, some did fish the FF, but it is about 8 to 1 with the knife jig. Damn things work.
We originally only rigged a single hook on the bottom. My son got bit 5 times on one retrieve without sticking. They are biting the top of the jig. Once we added the top hook it was game on.
Not sure on the charter or charter master as one opening got posted on the Vag's schedule so I sucked it fast. Same with the trip before this one ( did back to back trips).
Sleep was hard to come by and I ended up losing my 3 knife jigs ( all smalls) during the first trip. Managed on large model on a flatfall but did well on 60 lbers on bait in the day. I just went shopping for 7 mores knifes now( 300 to 400 gr) plus a Penn VISX 16. No knifes at Fisherman's landing but found the at Luke's- Anglers Choice.

Got them rigged with single 6/0 Mustad hevy braided line hook at the top. Going for another chance in a week

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
Thanks I have a 4 day coming up soon. Good information. I will need more small hooks. You used small j hooks?
also Mustad has new hooks, black coating, BN = black nickle. They have worked well on the Vag as per Mike Lackey and are not too expensive. all sizes and should go to # 2's or # 4's. problem i s supply as stores can be out of everything lately. Shop now or look online if you have time before your trip. good luck
0-1.jpg

Reactions: BluefinCurly
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT and Glad you all had a great Trip. Limits all.
    Mike and the Vag crew a solid operation. Fun to fish with. LOL

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I had a hard enough time even calling him Fluffy last year. If my fall trip has deckhands named Fluffy and Cuddles... I might have to think about riding a different boat! LOL

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I'll get the inside scoop in November. He's a great deckhand and fun to fish with. Happy to know he got his captain's license!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Damn, I'd forgotten Chowder! Imagine, deckhands Chowder, Cuddles and Fluffy on one trip. Adam would be jealous, we'd have to get him a nickname, too.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Not sure on the charter or charter master as one opening got posted on the Vag's schedule so I sucked it fast. Same with the trip before this one ( did back to back trips).
    Sleep was hard to come by and I ended up losing my 3 knife jigs ( all smalls) during the first trip. Managed on large model on a flatfall but did well on 60 lbers on bait in the day. I just went shopping for 7 mores knifes now( 300 to 400 gr) plus a Penn VISX 16. No knifes at Fisherman's landing but found the at Luke's- Anglers Choice.

Got them rigged with single 6/0 Mustad hevy braided line hook at the top. Going for another chance in a week
    I was on your turn around 3 day, sleep was the biggest challenge for sure. I got taken out on night one being cut out of tangles with my 2 best rigs and knife jigs. Fortunately my son in law got 2 and had the processing bill to prove it! After the 7 hour drive home it took me a couple of days to catch up on sleep. A great trip and by far with the most fishing time on a 3 day I've ever experienced. Mike knows his stuff and you could hear it in his voice on our last day that he was going to look for smaller fish after several anglers got spooled. What happened to the peanuts??

Upvote 0