Dexter Outdoors

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
Just got back this morning from an amazing trip sponsored by Blue Pacific tackle and OCT jigs, Everything was perfect, weather, bait, biting bluefin, no dickheads, crew and food. I even got a great parking spot which I handed over to Harry from Avet.
They bit everything, bite was on during the day I got all my fish on the fly line. No monsters just 25lb. to about 80lb. fish. No reason to do the night thing those that did caught same size fish we caught during the day if anything at all. They were a little line shy at first so I dropped to 20 and 30lb. flouro with #2 Mutu hook. later they bit the 40lb, which was good cause the bigger units showed with 1/0 and 2/0 hooks I used Charlie Browns. Catching a 6 fish limit was easy.
The boat was amazing Cameron ran the trip really great guy and fishy as hell this was my second trip with him running it. Crew was perfect and the galley chefs killed with gourmet meals best I've ever had on a boat.

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Great report! Love to hear the fly line bait was producing. Seems like things are changing a bit and hopefully won't have to fish all night anymore to get a fish. I Love the light line challenge for these beautiful fish!

Reactions: terryc.
    Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Love the Vagabond. I was on the 3 day trip before yours. Mike ran that one. Very tough to get a bite during the day for us but the nite bite made up for it tho...

IMG_4405.jpg

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great time. Good to hear those Bluefin are going to come up from the depths and eat!

Reactions: Shon
    Upvote 0

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
    Chatsworth
    Name
    Terry
    Boat
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great time. Good to hear those Bluefin are going to come up from the depths and eat!
    I was thinking about your post about aging and fishing a lot out there I'm ten years younger then you are, this is the first trip I felt my age on I was very grateful for flat seas and fly line fish.

Reactions: Steve K and Artois
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and info, pics. Mike and Vagabond ROCK!
    Glad you had a great trip. I think 25-80lb tuna the best eating!!

Upvote 0