Offshore Vagabond 3 day JRI Custom Lure report.

PENN

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
May 10, 2008
Idyllwild, CA USA
www.bluepacifictackle.com
Name
John
Boat
not mine
A special thanks to Jerry (JRI) for all the product he provided for this trip. The group was really amazed at all the giveaways that Jerry puts into these trips (jigs, hats, shirts, visors, tackle boxes, stickers and margaritas to boot). He also rounds up other stuff from various outfits to give away (5 Star and Phenix to name a few). I want to give a VERY special thank you to my wife who let me go on our anniversary. This was a great group of guys from all over the place, some from as far as Arkansas. We did not have one That Guy on board. Everybody got along great with not one issue.
We left the harbor with a perfect load of bait. The plan was to fish the first day as fish have been very close. Three hours or so into the trip we came across our first biters. Everybody got in on the action. This continued until dark. Capt. Mike then said we were going to head to his secret BFT spot.
Second day we woke up on the spot where we would spend the next two days. The big fish bit early to mid morning with a bunch of the school size YFT mixed in. There were no jig fish caught this day, I tried and tried. We did a lot of moving around searching for the biters all day picking fish up here and there. Later in the day the big BFT started on the chew again with the same yft mixed in. There was one decent size Yellow that was caught, I am pretty sure he was lost.
Third day was pretty much the same as the day before. I did hook the first fish of the morning on a JRI6 chrome which I lost to not paying attention. Something about a small nest on the drop when it came to a sudden stop and when he took off the line snapped. I did catch one more yft on the JRI6 mint later in the day. We did find more fish this day that wanted to play. Everybody got their chance at the big fish. They would bite early to mid morning then again early evening. I had my best BFT trip ever. I was not doing anything anybody else wasn't, it was just my turn I guess or holding my lips just right. I ended the trip with 5, the largest being 96.7lbs caught on a HX with 50lb & a 6/0 94150. Sardines were my bait of choice. I could not get a Mack to swim away from the boat. After mid afternoon we were searching around for a few more to add to the hold when we came across the one school that stuck with the boat. For the next hour and half or two it was a blast. By the end of that frenzy everybody had there fill and did not want anymore. We ended the trip with almost limits of YFT and 30 to 35 BFT over 50lbs.
Once a big thanks to Jerry for all the stuff and to Capt. Mike and the crew for the awesome trip. Here are a few pics. Sorry for the ones that are sideways, I will try to fix them if possible.

banner.jpg

photo (9).JPG

twoguys.jpg

DSCN0225.JPG

DSCN0232.JPG

DSCN0249.JPG

DSCN0256.JPG

DSCN0259.JPG

DSCN0265.JPG

DSCN0246.JPG

DSCN0258.JPG

Upvote 0

Wildman

Junior-Assistant-Deputy CharterMaster in Training
Feb 25, 2007
South Bay, L.A., CA
Name
JC
Boat
INTREPID
Sounds like a Great trip - thanks for sharing. JRI Jigs WORK! So does GetSome1000 - spray it on your reels and reel seats when setting up, and it does a nice job of protecting and making for an easy take down. Also effective at preventing corrosion if sprayed on hooks in storage.

Upvote 0

OIF VET

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
Can someone pleas tell jerry this memo. We love your jigs but we need some swag for sell. For example I would like to order 1 flexfit hat one extra large shirt one extra large tank top make that two extra large tank tops and one extra large sweat shirt and can I macho size that please. Sounds like a great trip. Glade you guys had some fun.

Upvote 0

smidge

Almost A Member
Mar 29, 2006
Santa Barbara
Name
Chris
Boat
Stardust, Intrepid, Island Spirit
Sounds like a Great trip - thanks for sharing. JRI Jigs WORK! So does GetSome1000 - spray it on your reels and reel seats when setting up, and it does a nice job of protecting and making for an easy take down. Also effective at preventing corrosion if sprayed on hooks in storage.

I was just thinking there has to be something like this spray, thanks for the info.

Thanks for the write up Johnny J.

Upvote 0

Hugo Bendo

Hugo Bendo
May 23, 2009
San Marcos
Name
Frank
Boat
unknown
Thanks for the invite John. And all the free stuff ! Great trip ! See. I can be a good .When
Simon or Gabe aren't on the boat ! Hahaha !

Upvote 0

Zoomer

Almost A Member
Apr 2, 2005
Az.
Name
Austin
Boat
Had a blast, nice fishing with you all. Thanks for all the stuff John and Jimmy! Great bunch of guys to fish with. Capt.Mike and the rest of the crew did a fine job!

Upvote 0

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Johnny J: Thanks so much for the great jigs and swag and rod holder. Very nice to fish with you and Jim and Frank. Man you where on fire. Richard

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Looks like a great trip. next time if you cant get the mackerel to swim away from the boat try butt hooking them.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Junior-Assistant-Deputy CharterMaster in Training
Feb 25, 2007
South Bay, L.A., CA
Name
JC
Boat
INTREPID
I was just thinking there has to be something like this spray, thanks for the info.

Thanks for the write up Johnny J.

and hooks, including jig hooks, while in storage as well. It's great stuff for those who like to take care of their tackle - and make it last!

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Great report John! Thanks to Jerry ( Mr JRI) and John for inviting me on one the best Bluefin trips ever! I got mine, a 30# and a 68#! I also got a great set of JRI jigs and a bottle of GetSome1000. It was a great time fishing with you and Frank!
Thank you also, for the Captain the crew of the Vagabond, Capt Mike, Gordon, David, Kevin, James and chef Craig! These guys rock!

Last edited:
Upvote 0