smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Although I've got plenty of the rolls, beginning to question the Food Saver vacuum bag rolls. When going thru the freezer for what to defrost for dinner, I find the occasional bag that is sealed, but burned from the inside. Seems like small holes puncture thru and air gets in the bags. Haven't made the jump to a better sealer yet, ($$), so I'm guessing I should start by buying better bag material rolls or sheets. Any recommendations? What I did start doing mid-season is putting my sealed & labeled bags into a large paper bag then stuffing into the freezer, but still like to hear ideas to try.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Although I've got plenty of the rolls, beginning to question the Food Saver vacuum bag rolls. When going thru the freezer for what to defrost for dinner, I find the occasional bag that is sealed, but burned from the inside. Seems like small holes puncture thru and air gets in the bags. Haven't made the jump to a better sealer yet, ($$), so I'm guessing I should start by buying better bag material rolls or sheets. Any recommendations? What I did start doing mid-season is putting my sealed & labeled bags into a large paper bag then stuffing into the freezer, but still like to hear ideas to try.
Couple of things, your rubberseals (gaskets) could be drying out thus not getting all the air out, so what I do is lightly brush on some cooking oil or mineral oil on the seals.

If you're making your own bags from a roll make sure the first sealed end of the bag looks tight with no gaps or crinkles.

I finally gave up on Foodsaver and bought a Weston Vacuum unit.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
While it is cheaper by far to make your own bags from rolls, I stopped doing that because of both the hassle and the experience of micro-holes that I didn't see letting air in over the months in the freezer. I buy the pre-made bags from Foodsaver and if I put the rough side of the bag UP in my Foodsaver Turbo unit I get a perfect seal every time. Considering the investment I made in getting the fish and game into my kitchen, the cost of the proper bags is nothing.

And if I'm dealing with lots of pounds of fish from an offshore trip, I just go ahead and use 5 Star to process. Again, considering the cost of the trip, having your fillets done perfectly in a couple of hours is a minor expense.

dreyna14

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 1, 2015
Oxnard, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
none
Only had two bad bags on my Foodsaver. One was from something that poked through from the inside (bone, cartilage, ??) the other was a bad seal. Other than that it's been good. I usually check the seals when done and sometimes either add a backup or reseal in the same spot. This is all with the cheapest Foodsaver they have. Maybe someday I'll buy a better model.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Only had two bad bags on my Foodsaver. One was from something that poked through from the inside (bone, cartilage, ??) the other was a bad seal. Other than that it's been good. I usually check the seals when done and sometimes either add a backup or reseal in the same spot. This is all with the cheapest Foodsaver they have. Maybe someday I'll buy a better model.
just Saran Wrap each Filet first, then Vacuum seal
that's what works Great for me

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Proper bag selection is important, even with a chamber packer. While 3mil bags are most commonly used, I find that the 4 mil do a much better job of protecting against freezer burn.

The saran wrap is a good trick, but can inhibit your ability to get all the air out.

Although it is difficult with a food saver type packer, another good trick is to have the fish (or whatever) just a very little bit wet (or perhaps marinated). When the wetness/marinate freezes, it forms a natural barrier to protect against freezer burn.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Proper bag selection is important, even with a chamber packer. While 3mil bags are most commonly used, I find that the 4 mil do a much better job of protecting against freezer burn.

The saran wrap is a good trick, but can inhibit your ability to get all the air out.

Although it is difficult with a food saver type packer, another good trick is to have the fish (or whatever) just a very little bit wet (or perhaps marinated). When the wetness/marinate freezes, it forms a natural barrier to protect against freezer burn.
your Wrong , the Saran Wrap sticks to the Moistness of the meat
or Fish real good , so it doesn't trap air ,
I've been doing it for Year,

BAJA.DESERT.RAT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
if you are experiencing SMALL holes, perhaps the problem is in the handling of your packages AFTER they are frozen as banging the bags together can cause small punctures.

that's been my experience any way. if you have a pretty good amount of bags, just take care when moving them around.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Cy Bodden

Been there done that
Oct 15, 2013
Escondido, CA
Name
Cy
Boat
Parker 2120
if the end of the bag is wet or has any moisture you will have a bad seal. I use the plastic wrap trick as well so when i placed the fillet in the bag its not leaving moisture and when its vacuuming the air out its not pulling moisture to the seal. Im debating on vacmaster 215

Reactions: joe.dude.01

lasparky11

Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
I have used these rolls in the past, never had a problem.
eBay item number: 261493791527

Last edited:

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Good ideas, Everyone! Never even thought of gasket maintenance or that "TFE" part. And that simple step to try putting rough side up. Next outing, think I'll try some with and some without the Saran wrap after marinade. Again, never even thought of using marinade/moisture to help preserve. It'll be a while, but when I'm ready to change bag material, has anyone tried 4mil on the Food Saver?

dreyna14

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 1, 2015
Oxnard, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
none
If you ask ten people what they do, you'll get eleven different answers. Best thing is to try different ideas, note the one you like the best and then use it. After thinking about the mechanics of the saran wrap method, I may actually try it on a catch, the next time. Though I've only had one seal go bad and it wasn't on anything I gave too much of a shit about.

Reactions: spize909

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
if the end of the bag is wet or has any moisture you will have a bad seal. I use the plastic wrap trick as well so when i placed the fillet in the bag its not leaving moisture and when its vacuuming the air out its not pulling moisture to the seal. Im debating on vacmaster 215
I've been using my Vacmaster for about ten years now. Works great, and the bags are inexpensive. I don't know if you can buy them is small quantities. I think mine came one thousand per box.

Reactions: Cy Bodden

waynesworld

Apr 24, 2006
Escondido
Name
Wayne
Boat
Sold it -need a ride
I have tried several bags from ebay.Many of them came from china and had wrinkles in them on the roll.I had to double seal all of them.
Buy the better quality bags and experiment to find out what works best for you.

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
I have used these rolls in the past, never had a problem.
eBay item number: 261493791527
It took some searching the Food Saver web site, but found these bags & rolls are 3mil thick vs 3.5 & 4 mil on your recommended site on Ebay. Thx for the lead. Jon

lasparky11

Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
It took some searching the Food Saver web site, but found these bags & rolls are 3mil thick vs 3.5 & 4 mil on your recommended site on Ebay. Thx for the lead. Jon
I just ordered a new roll 8X50', made in the US 3.5 mil.I have a batch of smoked fish I need to bag this weekend. I let you know how they work out.

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
If you ask ten people what they do, you'll get eleven different answers. Best thing is to try different ideas, note the one you like the best and then use it. After thinking about the mechanics of the saran wrap method, I may actually try it on a catch, the next time. Though I've only had one seal go bad and it wasn't on anything I gave too much of a shit about.
This.
We do a double wrap of saran wrap on our filets (Salmon/Halibut) before placing them in the seal bags, it helps eliminate the small poke-throughs from pin and rib bones if any.
Just got back from Alaska with a 100# of filets and all bags still sealed and good.

Reactions: smokinwater

joe.dude.01

Jun 9, 2015
Name
lbfishindude
Boat
ride on friend's boat:)
I always Saran Wrap my fish before sealing. I truly feel it helps keep off freezer burn and without a doubt keeps the juices from running out during sealing. I also double seal both sides of the bags cuz I'm ocd like that ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Iv'e been using a vacmaster for the last 3 years.The only regret I have is I didn't buy it 4 foodsavers agoLOL.
The initial purchase hurts but the bags are literally pennies apiece and you can't even compare the performance to a foodsaver it's a whole different league.

Reactions: Cubeye

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Try Weston 2-ply 3mm bags.

Occasionally I get a hole, but it's from moving it around in the freezer. I have a chest freezer. I started using milk crates to make it easy to get to items at the bottom. Works like a charm.

Also make sure your packages are dry before putting in freezer. Wet ones can freeze together and it can rip pulling apart.

I also started saran wrapping tuna. Like Jer said, if your careful, the wrap sticks well to the meat and you can get most, if not all of the meat covered. Worth the effort on quality meat.

I also use a Weston sealer. 6 years now, not an issue. buddies have gone through multiple foodsavers.

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
Name
GW
Boat
Glastron Seafury
I found that when I made the jump to a high end vacuum packer I stopped having issues with packs coming unraveled in the freezer. And I too went through 3 cheaper models before I learned my lesson.

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
What's a good model for home use. Can multiple bags be sealed at one time? Thanks

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
What's a good model for home use. Can multiple bags be sealed at one time? Thanks
6 Months ago I picked the Food Saver Model 4980
from Costco , and I have been Doing Meat and Fish
and it's worked Great so Far, just one bag at a time
but real easy, too work

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Ok, to re-visit this thread I started because it's taken me so long to actually HAVE fish to seal: I take a FS V2222 with me when I head South to fish; I do almost all of my processing when I get back in at the end of the day. Started having problems sealing. Gave up, zip lock bagged the rest and brought it home to process on my Costco FS. Started having problems with THAT one. Was able to finish & freeze my catch, and after a few cold ones, re-read this thread. Looked over the two FS sealers, and as it turns out, both have bad foam gaskets. Blemishes are difficult to see and feel, but they are definitely there. Ordered new ones on Ebay (found that if you order two pairs, price comes waaay down from $8/pair to $10/both pairs). Replacing them I also found out how firm and non-pliable old ones were. Did the ol' can-in-the-vacuum-bag test, and with no assist pushing down on the units, can gets crushed and stays sealed nicely. Will probably upgrade to all bags after I use up the rolls I have, maybe try the Weston bags recommended above. Never thought to replace these gasket seals, but sure glad I did. Hope this helps others.