Vacuum packing machine for home

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by CV-Wayne, May 21, 2019.

1. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    I'm tossing out my Food saver because I never know if the damn thing is going to seal correctly. After a long day of fishing, cleaning the boat and fish, the last thing I need is aggravation from that stupid thing.

Does anyone have the ARY VacMaster PRO 350 or the Weston Pro-2300? These look like they'd be much better than my P.O.S. Foodsaver.

If you have something other than a Foodsaver and like it, please let me know.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. bent rod todd

bent rod todd Ling cod killa

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
    I don't but food saver sucks

geebee and CV-Wayne like this.
  3. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
    I have a food saver... the very 1st one they when they came out... (yea I'm old) and it still works well today... now that being said there are MUCH better units out there and are much more $... the thing I have found with the FS is that it is not a mass production (a lot of fish to package) unit... the thing to keep in mind is keep the heating element clean and dry and it will last... but if you have a lot of fish to do a FS is not the way to do it... we spend a lot of $ to go fishing and catch fish so IMO its worth it to get a good unit to preserve that meat as well as possible... just my 2c.
    :cheers:

esgeo likes this.
  4. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    The chamber type are way better for sealing anything with juice. In fact, with a chamber type, you can seal a bag of soup, no problem. That just isn't possible with the external type. I highly recommend the VP215, but the prices tend to fluctuate quite a bit. If you wait for a sale, it will be under $700.

tuner, evilkhemist and CV-Wayne like this.
  5. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    I totally agree which is why I'm searching for a better product. My original Foodsaver lasted much longer than the newer one I have now. It provides plenty of suction but it just goes and goes and fails to realize its time to hold the suction and make the seal. Frustrating as hell.

I've found some nice big salmon steaks in my freezer where the seal has failed. I hate wasting the fish after spending money, time, and killing a beautiful creature.

Puria Keshmiri likes this.
  6. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    I don't have much experience with FS type, but the bags I use in my VP215 chamber type are 4 mill (3 mill seems to be more typical of the FS type), the seal bar gives a double seal, and the seal time is adjustable. I never (almost, at least) have bags fail after going to the freezer. Also, vacuum time is also adjustable.

CV-Wayne likes this.
  7. fishntel

fishntel Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    fishntel - 28 Henriques
    I have the westin pro 2300. Works fantastic. Well worth the $$. Saves time, effort and seals sooo great. Would never go back to food saver in a million years.

8. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Thanks so much for the reply. I greatly appreciate the first hand knowledge and endorsement of a product.

9. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    VP215 is no joke but it weighs 100lbs and requires a dedicated spot to really make it worth it. Unfortunatly the one we had here at BD ended up in a spot in Ali's garage... So I bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-GM2050-000-GameSaver-Outdoorsman-Sealing/dp/B016C4KK20/ and have actually been impressed by the suction and sealing. I always seal two different times on the ends but it's been working perfectly on a regular basis a couple times a week.

esgeo likes this.
  10. michael e. bingham

michael e. bingham Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Pura Vida
    Boat:
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    I bought my VP 215 a while back for about 700 and the shipping was free , it's a unreal unit that is worth the money for sure , it's not the easiest thing to move around so find a good spot and enjoy it if you buy one

jer dog likes this.
  11. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I just bought a food saver one from Costco,
    So when it takes a dump , I will just
    Return it.

12. canuckjc

canuckjc Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy C
    Boat:
    N/A
    I've had my VP215 for a few years. Never regretted buying it.

It was a bit of a pain in the ass until I bought a cheap hydraulic dolly ($99) at Harbor Freight and cut the handle down. Now, I roll it out of the pantry closet when needed and jack it up to counter height. Stores just as easily.

20190521_191301.jpg

Cubeye, kanekure, lasparky11 and 2 others like this.
  13. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    I got the vac master vp 321 it is a bad mothafucka 4 6x12 bags at once

michael e. bingham likes this.
  14. Lubina

Lubina Member

Name:
    RA
    Boat:
    None
    YP215 is the way to go. Bags are way cheaper than FS and it’s a breeze to use. Love mine.

15. waynesworld

waynesworld Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Sold it -need a ride
    Cabeleas commercial-been working great for 3 yrs

16. vinniethefish

vinniethefish ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Name:
    Vince Borrego
    Boat:
    2006 Skeeter
    Pro tip— don’t let that freezer burnt fish go to waste. If you have something go bad or a by catch that you don’t want to eat (bonito for example) I’ve been cutting up that otherwise wasted fish and putting it under the base of my transplants in the garden. Did that with my tomato, broccoli and cucumber plants this year with great results. Didn’t have to fertilize or feed them once as it broke down on it’s own.

Cubeye and CV-Wayne like this.
  17. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    We used the Food Saver machines for many years and it was always a pain in the butt. Some times we would have 2 or 3 machines out at one time and have to switch between machines because one would overheat or the gasket would mess up and it would stop sealing. We finally broke down and bought a Vacmaster 215 and it was the best decision we ever made. The bags are way cheaper and the machine makes packages just like you get from the commercial processors.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    CV-Wayne likes this.
  18. atun53

atun53 Member

Name:
    Chris Johnson
    Boat:
    Skiff
    We have one of those and are looking to replace. First year was great, second year it started failing. Several double seals from sausage three months ago I made have started failing. We’ve tried different bags, replaced the seal, no luck.

19. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Bummer, not what I want to hear...

20. DPevin

DPevin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    kayak
    I have the same one, and like you, double seal both ends. I also dry the shit out of everything with paper towels before hand so there really isn't any juices getting sucked toward the seal.

Have had mine since Feb 2018 and use it 3 times a month give or take and it still works fine.

I think a MAJOR problem that a lot of people don't think about is handling in the freezer. You get your old lady or kids throwing that shit around looking for other stuff you can get little holes that will cause them to fail.

Another big think is making sure the outsides of the bags are really dry as well before putting them in the freezer. If they stick together at all and you have to pry them apart that can damage the seal as well.

I feel like the cheaper units work well for what they are, the durability / longevity may not be there like the more expensive units, but they should last awhile if you don't abuse them.

Really feel most of the time there is an issue with the cheaper ones close to it being new, the issue is more with handling than the vac sealer itself.

canuckjc likes this.