Eddy C

Geezer
May 3, 2011
Whidbey
Name
Harry Ottoway
Boat
Glasply
Need advice on vacuum packer? Food Saver sucks! Fish and elk are to expensive to waste. What are you guys using? I know there is better stuff?

Crittercountry

Island time
Jul 31, 2012
Clinton,wa,USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Sea critter
Vac master 215. Works well. Chamber sealer and you can do liquids. Chamber sealer we use it for camping no leaks in cooler for meats.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
This guy (Thom) is local (http://vacupack.com/). Just type Vacupack in the search section on YouTube which will bring up a bunch of his videos of the various sealers he has. The chamber sealers are expensive but really are the way to go if you can spend the coin. Fast and best of all you can use a heavier ml bag which the pin bones won't punch through. I haven't tried it yet but they will seal a retort bag which will allow you to can in a bag or a pouch instead of a jar.

Crittercountry

Island time
Jul 31, 2012
Clinton,wa,USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Sea critter
This guy (Thom) is local (http://vacupack.com/). Just type Vacupack in the search section on YouTube which will bring up a bunch of his videos of the various sealers he has. The chamber sealers are expensive but really are the way to go if you can spend the coin. Fast and best of all you can use a heavier ml bag which the pin bones won't punch through. I haven't tried it yet but they will seal a retort bag which will allow you to can in a bag or a pouch instead of a jar.
Not all chamber sealers will do retort bags

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Not all chamber sealers will do retort bags
Yup...Talking with Thom when I bought my Minipack he doesn't like the VacMaster for doing retorts. I have read elsewhere the VacMaster will seal a retort but...
He changes the sealing bar on the MiniPack which will then seal retorts.

speikert

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2013
Kenai, Alaska
Name
Sold It
Boat
Gone
I agree Food Saver sucks, Check out the Weston Pro 3000 it's all stainless steel, you can seal two one quart bags at one time and it makes a 1/4" seal unlike the Food Saver 1/8".
I've had mine for two years now and no hiccups what so ever..
I paid around $ 425 for it here in Alaska it should be cheaper in the lower 48. Lots of choices out there.

Reactions: myott

Deviant

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 8, 2010
WA
Name
Tim
Boat
Bounty 293 "KRAKEN"
Have a VP215C and am diggin' it!
No issues and you can adjust it to what you are vacuuming.
You have an initial investment ($$$) and the bags, but compared to a FoodSaver it is a serious jump up in saving your quality eats.
Can process a whole day of tuna in about 30 minutes after everything is loined out. FoodSaver would overheat after the third round.

samohr

Swabbie
Dec 3, 2006
Wa
Name
Name
Boat
Boat
All ( and much more) done with a vp215c, and i am living to tell about it. I get more failures out the side of the bag than the sealed end.
image.jpg

blackmouther

10%er during Salmon Season
Jun 29, 2009
Mount Vernon Washington
Name
Fowlmotuher
Boat
Shopping
Stay away from overpriced cabelas packers. Buy a chamber sealer. I have the cheapest chamber sealer made and its 10 times better than any vaccumn packer. Its a vacmaster vp 112 and new they are around 600 shipped to your door. It will not do retort bags but works fine on 4 mil. Bags are dirt cheap as well and in many sizes.

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
I got a Cabelas Commercial vacuum Sealer Plus 300+ Bags. I went to the Vacmaster 215 Now.

Rougarou

One More Pass?
Jul 6, 2012
Coon Bay, WA
www.rougarourods.com
Name
Eric
Boat
Looking
I got a Cabelas Commercial vacuum Sealer Plus 300+ Bags. I went to the Vacmaster 215 Now.
The one I was talking about in my previous post is the same one Goatram is selling. Looking at Cabela's now, it seems that they changed the design but the one I and Goatram have are pretty sweet. If you don't have the coin for a full on chamber sealer and want a step up from Foodsaver, I would highly recommend buying Goatram's vacuum sealer.

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Not everyone has good things to say about the VacMaster 215...I'm thinking there is more going on here - perhaps a power issue at this guys home.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2RAONONP0WEX4/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2RAONONP0WEX4

By
Dr. Michael G. Mathews "CCIE, CISSP, CISM, RHCE"

This review is from: VacMaster Chamber Vacuum Sealer with Oil Pump - Stainless Steel VP215
If I could award negative stars I would. This is the third VP-215 we have gone through in just over 12 months of purchasing it. While the company has honored the warranty and replaced our defective units, the return shipping is NOT covered by warranty, so it's at your expense and this machine is JUST over the limit for UPS and FedEx standard shipments. While it runs, it's great, but all three of the units that have failed on us have had the motor completely freeze up. We use it at home exclusively with our water ovens (sous vide cooking), so these are not being subjected to commercial use nor anywhere near what would be considered even medium use by anyone's standards. Stay away... far away. I don't know what we're going to go to next, but I can promise it won't be another of these nor anything else VacMaster makes.

Buzz2401

Boat HO
Jun 29, 2009
Shelton, Wa USA
Name
Russ
Boat
glass
I got the LEM sealer from Sportco they have a killer deal on them when I got mine it was $279 while Sportsmans Warehouse was charging $429. My friend has the Westin unit and paid $400 for it and it and the LEM unit look identical.

robodad

BullShitoligest
Mar 5, 2012
Port Angeles
Name
Allen
Boat
26' Olympic XLF
Stay away from overpriced cabelas packers. Buy a chamber sealer. I have the cheapest chamber sealer made and its 10 times better than any vaccumn packer. Its a vacmaster vp 112 and new they are around 600 shipped to your door. It will not do retort bags but works fine on 4 mil. Bags are dirt cheap as well and in many sizes.
I second the VP 112, Its as cheap as 2 cheap units from cabelas and will outlast 10 of them, bags are cheap and I get the zip-loc bags so I can pack pepperoni sticks in and not have to eat them all at once, just zip it closed, my only problem with it is its like 53# and kinda awkward to be lugging around so you need a cart or a dedicated location for it Had mine since they came out and haven't had any problems !! Great unit IMO !!

DaKanati

Captain
Mar 17, 2009
belfair,washington
Name
Josh
Boat
272 Sailfish "ManCave"
I've had the Westin now for about 5-6 years and its been flawless. The nice thing about it vs. the chamber style is I can vacuum full length fillets for bbq'ing. I paid around $400 at Sportco.

Ducky Duckworth

Oct 29, 2013
Anacortes
Name
Curt
Boat
Duck, Duck, Goose
Anyone tried the Vacmaster 260?

Tyee Hunter

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, Washington
Name
Tom
Boat
North River Seahawk 23 - Patricia D
Thom at vacupack.com is a wealth of information. He can answer any questions you have about all types of packers and their capabilities. (Disclaimer: I am a very happy customer).

Before you buy one, decide what you want to do with it, vacuum packing, retort canning, sous vide cooking. Do you need portability? Some of these are heavy. Mine is over 50 pounds. Then you can decide what type of machine you need for your use and your budget. Then buy the best one you can afford. My wife tells me to buy the best one that I can so I won't always be looking at (and whining about) a better one.

My vacuum packer: a Sammic 204T. I'll never need another one. This one can do it all.

hybridcx

Aug 12, 2009
Sequim, Wa
Name
Jacob
Boat
22' c dory "plus 3"; willie db
I am leaning to the vac215 myself, while our food savers have done us well. the time it takes to go through a days catch with overheats and the cost of bags alone justify us going to chamber. we process all of the stuff we catch/shoot. as well as bulk buy other meats like chicken ect and vac pack. so we go through a lot of bags. I like the idea of the retort bags as well for canning...

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
I've had the Westin now for about 5-6 years and its been flawless. The nice thing about it vs. the chamber style is I can vacuum full length fillets for bbq'ing. I paid around $400 at Sportco.
I couldn't find the video of Thom from Vacupack demonstrating vacuum packing a long fillet outside a chamber sealer but I think you can do it with an embossed style of bag. I do remember seeing the last year when I was researching chamber sealers. I tried it yesterday on my MVS31 but couldn't get it to work with the style of bag I had here at the house which was from a roll. The ribbing was cross ways so maybe the diamond style of embossing would work or there is a trick to it. Of course a call to Thom would probably solve it.

chesterf

May 9, 2008
Yelm WA
Name
Floyd
Boat
Defiance 220EX "Bell Ringer"
I second the VP 112, Its as cheap as 2 cheap units from cabelas and will outlast 10 of them, bags are cheap and I get the zip-loc bags so I can pack pepperoni sticks in and not have to eat them all at once, just zip it closed, my only problem with it is its like 53# and kinda awkward to be lugging around so you need a cart or a dedicated location for it Had mine since they came out and haven't had any problems !! Great unit IMO !!
X3 - Use it daily on the counter. At first it was too big and heavy but now it has earned its place.

whido isle

capt
Oct 6, 2010
coupeville,wa u.s.a
Name
jay
Boat
25' amf SS245 o/s (bart's legacy)
I've been having issues with weston vac bag splitting on the side seam & are the chamber sealers big enough to seal a big canadian goose?