Utah Zion unit

Discussion in 'Mammal Hunting Reports' started by baboltin, Jun 24, 2018.

1. baboltin

baboltin Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    n/a
    I drew Zion general season unit tag for deer and was wondering if anyone on here has ever hunted the unit ? If you have any pictures of bucks killed from that unit I would love to see them to get the blood pumping.

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  2. One Track

One Track Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    Blood
    You are just striking out. Not much help here. I have never hunted any of the units. Sorry. I would definitely get OnX or some hunting gps map apps. You will need to identify public land. Then, give the biologist for each unit a call. Those guy will at least put you on ground that holds deer. They aren't going to put you on top of the monsters. But, with so many tags in your pocket, you shouldn't be too picky. Have fun.

3. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    I've hunted it before when it was part of the "Southern Unit" before Utah split everything up. The biggest problem with this area is that it's a lot of Private and National Forest Park land. We hunted mostly in the Duck Creek/Strawberry area because that's where we were staying. We didn't see much there but we ventured down to the Southern part off the 9 and found some public land that looked pretty good--a lot of locals though. A lot of road hunters too.

Adrien

4. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Jeff

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    Been there twice, 2013, and 2015. I hunted the southern border around the backside of Coral Pink Sand Dunes. First year, I seen one nice, heavy 4x4. Couldn't put that together. Next hunt, never seen a buck I'd shoot. The area around Elephant Bluff, or whatever it's called, is crawling with road hunters, and the deer I've seen in there were tweeks. To the north, around the south border of the park, there are some deep canyons that might be worth a look. The north boundry may be ok, but I didn't give that area any effort. You will see lots of ATVs. Good luck.

5. fiskfinder

fiskfinder Newbie

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Yak/28ftGW
    I hunt private land near Monticello every season. We have 1800 acres to ourselves. I can say the elk usually rut in late Sept. then may go back up the mountain until the big snowfall. Then they usually come back to the valleys. Last year biologists say global warming/climate change kept the elk up in the mt.s so they never came to winter in the valley as they do every year. The lack of snowfall was unprecedented. We'll be there this year in late Sept. Our tags go from August until the end of January. Hope the normal cycle returns. We all have the responsibility to take care of mother earth. We hunt near "Bears Ears." This should be kept as it was; a preserve.This area holds such profound beauty that we need to preserve it. We all need to look after the land we hunt in. Not rape it. Navajo Nation is trying to protect this land. I stand with them. Please pick up any trash you see. Respect the land you hunt. one day it may be taken from you............

twotrack likes this.
  6. baboltin

baboltin Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    n/a

Did you ever end up shooting any bucks ? Thanks for the advice

7. baboltin

baboltin Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    n/a

Oh I will very respectable to the land and take out everything that I take in and not ride the quad off of any trails .

8. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Jeff

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum

9. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Jeff

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    Don't know how that post got screwed up.

10. baboltin

baboltin Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    n/a
    So what were you trying to post ? I see your in bakes I’m not far from you !

11. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Jeff

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    What I was trying to post was the first year there, I did see a Really nice! 4x4. Lost him in the rising sun. Lowland on the backroad behind Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Quite a few smaller bucks. Seen nothing worth shooting the second year. These bucks aren't resident bucks. They pass through from the Paunsaguant, and other areas. Ask around in Kanab. I got tips from guys at a tire shop, and at a surplus/ hardware store. You never know who may know something that works. Muley Crazy is there. You may stop by there and ask. I concentrated both years on that corner of the unit. If you choose to go near Elephant Bluff, you will have a lot of company. I seen everything from road hunters, to ATV clubs, and offroad tours. If I ever go to Zion again, I will climb the biggest mountain to the west of that area. It looks good, just didn't feel up to it last time. Get away from the crowd. JK

12. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Jeff

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum