USS Iowa battleship is coming to the Port of Los Angeles!!!!

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
SAN PEDRO

San Pedro's Northwest Neighborhood Council has unanimously approved a motion in support of bringing the USS Iowa battleship to the Port of Los Angeles.

The action was taken at the council's meeting Monday night, making Northwest the last of the community's three neighborhood councils to express support for the proposal. The vote followed a presentation by Robert Kent, president of the Pacific Battleship Center, the nonprofit group spearheading the effort.

Port officials announced last week they would conduct an economic analysis of the proposal, expected to be completed within a couple of months. The port's agreement to berth the ship under a 10-year lease is needed before a formal application for the ship's donation can be made to the U.S. Navy. Applications are due Nov. 24.

In addition to all three neighborhood councils, the proposal has won the support of the San Pedro Downtown Business Association and by subcommittees of the Chamber of Commerce and Port Community Advisory Committee.

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat
18' starcraft "big knockers"
will there be any impact to local fishing rules? new off limit zones etc?

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No

Main battery

USS Iowa fires a full broadside of nine 16-inch (406 mm) / 50-caliber and six 5-inch (127 mm) / 38-caliber guns during a target exercise. Note concussion effects on the water surface.The primary armament of an Iowa-class battleship is nine 16-inch (406 mm)/50-caliber Mark 7 naval guns, which are housed in three three-gun turrets, two forward and one aft. The guns fire projectiles weighing from 1,900 to 2,700 pounds (860 to 1,200 kg) at a muzzle velocity of 2,690 ft/s (820 m/s) to a maximum range of 42,345 yards (38,720 m) (24.06 mi) using an armor-piercing shell. At maximum range the projectile spends almost 1½ minutes in flight. The maximum firing rate for each gun is two rounds per minute.[63] The turrets are "three-gun", not "triple", because each barrel can be elevated independently; they can also be fired independently. The ship could fire any combination of its guns, including a broadside of all nine.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
When I was a kid I lived in Washington state for a while because the Kitty Hawk was in the shipyard,I can remember the Missouri was the first ship you would see coming around the curve in the road. I got to see it years later down here in the bay.Nothing more impressive than a Battleship!

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
Awesome! The last time I saw the Iowa she was at Newport Naval Station in RI. She was moored next the the Saratoga and the Forrestal. That was in 2000 I think. My ship pulled in for a port visit and those three ships were on the next pier over. Talk about a TON of history all sitting at one pier!!

BTW, the Forrestal is the aircraft carrier that Sen. John McCain crash landed on during Vietnam. Many enlisted sailors died saving his life. Two whole fire parties were blown up responding to his crash and many others died in the resulting fires.

We are still shown that video in bootcamp and in firefighting school to this day. Many lessons written in blood during that fire.

Last edited:

talltales

Oct 22, 2004
Ridgecrest Ca
Name
ron
Boat
2359 Trophy
I wonder what they will do with Turret number 2 if they get the boat. They lost a lot of Sailors when it exploded and never repaired it after that.

Dust Devil

Apr 14, 2005
Ridgecrest
Name
Russ
Boat
Any that will have me
Those pictures are incredible!

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Those pictures are incredible!
When they fire those BIG guns,the ship moves sideways. Look at the first picture,you can see a wake off the starboard bow only

AKULA683

STS3(SS)
Jun 10, 2008
Tustin/CA/US
Name
Toby
Boat
Sold!
Awesome! The last time I saw the Iowa she was at Newport Naval Station in RI. She was moored next the the Saratoga and the Forrestal. That was in 2000 I think. My ship pulled in for a port visit and those three ships were on the next pier over. Talk about a TON of history all sitting at one pier!!

BTW, the Forrestal is the aircraft carrier that Sen. John McCain crash landed on during Vietnam. Many enlisted sailors died saving his life. Two whole fire parties were blown up responding to his crash and many others died in the resulting fires.

We are still shown that video in bootcamp and in firefighting school to this day. Many lessons written in blood during that fire.
I remember that video.

That's really cool that they are trying to bring her to San Pedro. I would love to see her.

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
I guess I am an OLD Wife then.

AKULA683

STS3(SS)
Jun 10, 2008
Tustin/CA/US
Name
Toby
Boat
Sold!
Old wives tale... Simply not true. Cool story, but completely physically impossible... Sorry... :D :D

Read this link...

Do Battleships move sideways when they fire?
The calcs are of a ship on ice. The force needed to move an object on ice is much different than in water. The author of the paper explaining why the ship cant move makes a lot of assumptions that smarter people than me might argue about. Try pushing your boat on ice and then try pushing it in the water and feel the difference. The blast from the guns explains the disturbed water amidships but not the bow wake. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Not looking to get into a big argument, just my 2cents.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>