using owners flyliner hooks

FAT TONY

Mar 20, 2011
Upland,CA
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
Has any one use these flyliner hooks with a leader? Just want to know if they are good to use out of package or should I just tie the main line or top shot straight to the ringed hook.
Thanks in advance.

2014-08-18 20.54.56.png

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
After you take the first one out untangling the the rest is a pain. I was given some similar for fresh water and I ended up cutting the hooks off to tie my own as needed

Reactions: Uglybones

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I bought some when they first came out, and like Mike said they were an expensive solution to a non-existent problem for me. I think the maker is aiming at the new fisherman, it seems to be a salt water version of the packs of fresh water hooks with short leaders that you buy so you can put worms and salmon eggs on and get the kids in the water.

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Never seen these hooks pre-tied.I use the owner flyliner ringers in one-ohs and 2.

Hoopnet

<°)))))><
Dec 12, 2013
<°)))))><
Name
<°)))))><
Boat
<°)))))><
Never used the pre tied ones, but i use to use the "ringed" flyliner hooks until one day i whipped a big dines off my hook and the weight and torque of the whipping action sling shotted the "ring" right into the back of my stick, the impact blew out my guide and cracked the blank. So that was the last time i used the ringed flyliners. I still use the owner flyliner hooks but not the ringed version, but thats just my fault for being lazy and not taking the bait off by hand.

Last edited:

DoradoJ

Jul 6, 2013
Norwalk, CA
Name
Jesse
Boat
La Orizaba
I have used these pre-rigged models and have not had any luck. I have used ringed flyliner hooks by owner tied to my own flourocarbon leader and have gotten bit. This has just been my own personal experience.

Uglybones

Take a step to the left.
Jul 13, 2008
Lakeside
Name
Ian
Boat
the big one with 30 other people
If tying fluoro to mono use a seaguar knot, doesn't get any easier. Loop loop loop done...

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I usually keep a pack in my back pocket to get back in the water quickly during a hot bite if I get cut off or have to cut my way out of a tangle. At the start of the trip I tie 4 or 5 feet of fluro to my spectra but when you have to get back in the water quickly when all of your outfits are screwed up they save a couple of minutes that might be very important. That being said there is no way I would pay 12 bucks for a pack of five. I usually find them at the fishing tackle swapmeets for $4 a pack and even that seems like a lot to pay for a hook and 3 feet of fluro.

FAT TONY

Mar 20, 2011
Upland,CA
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
I didn't buy these. I got them for free when I subscribed to Fish Taco Chronicles mag. I have size 2 - 2/0 owner hooks in flyliner, mutu, gorilla and offshore. I can tie the braid to Flouro and mono to flouro. Thanks for the help guys.

Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
AND save your money on ringed hooks, learn how to tie the perfection loop, AKA the mexican knot.

can use it from 12# to 80#.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT