Well-Known "Member"
Oct 13, 2020
Pasadena, Ca
Name
Jason
Boat
Non
Hello BDOutdoors

I'm looking for a a conventional/baitcaster style reel to complement a 9' medium action rod that I presume is for surf fishing ( at least that is what is what I intend to use it for. I would only be using this setup probably two - three times a year so not interested in spending big bucks or buying new. Prefer a smaller/lighter setup so I can switch it over to a lighter rod to take it on the freshwater as well.

Checking on BDOutdoors if anyone has a reel sitting around that is in decent conditions but is no longer getting any use that they are willing to let go of for a reasonable price.

I'm located in Pasadena but willing to make a reasonable drive

Thanks!

Jason

Robsurf

Bobby Fillet
Nov 28, 2016
El Monte
Name
Robert
Boat
Not yet
Budget range or models of interest?

What range of weight are you planning to throw in the surf?

Rachmak

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 13, 2020
Pasadena, Ca
Name
Jason
Boat
Non
Budget range or models of interest?

What range of weight are you planning to throw in the surf?
Hey Rob - I'd probably like to go on the lighter side - so probably in the 15-30 test range the reel?

Budget - I'd prefer to spend around $50 could go higher and lower if the situation fits

Thanks

Robsurf

Bobby Fillet
Nov 28, 2016
El Monte
Name
Robert
Boat
Not yet
On second thought, Make sure you’re okay with a reel this size. maybe do some internet research. I think its about the same size as a jigmaster 500.

Reactions: Rachmak

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
For that kind of money check out some abassedeur 5000 or 5500 size. Very durable and easy to service if need be.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
Daiwa Sealine-x 20 or 30. Cast great..plenty of line capacity if you use spectra, nice big drags..and fairly easy to maintain or completely teardown, clean, and reassemble should your reel get dunked in the salt or dropped in the sand. Usually go for more like $75-90 used but you can occasionally find them for about $40-60 used in decent shape.

You can also go old school..get yourself a Penn surfmaster 100, 150, or 200..or a penn squidder 140, or 146 for maybe $25 to $50, maybe drop another $10-15 for carbon fiber drag washers unless they already happen to be installed. The beauty of the surfmasters is they have bushings, not bearings that might corrode ib salt water but still cast great. downside is the slow gear ratio and small drag size.

Last edited:

MRC70

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 31, 2016
San Marcos, CA
Name
MRC
Boat
not yet
The PENN 545 is same exact size as the Daiwa Sealine x40. I agree that a Sealine x20 or 30 would fit your needs nicely. The PENN 545 is a nice reel but it’s heavy.

Reactions: Rachmak