US Senator aftermarket bridge assembly/dogs

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by craigen, Oct 7, 2017.

1. craigen

craigen Got Spooled

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    none
    I was looking on Alan Tani's site and some noted that this upgrade, no longer in stock from Cortez Conversions, was important for those who want to prevent some AR failures under high stress conditions. Has Penn offered this upgrade as an inline product improvement to the US Senators or must one buy an upgrade to boost this reel's performance and reliability?

2. PescadorPete

PescadorPete Here, Fishy, Fishy!

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
    Cortez Conversion does have them in stock. I just got mine last week for the 113HN. It looks really nice. Hope to get it installed later this week. Contact them before they are all gone.

3. craigen

craigen Got Spooled

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks Pete. I thought they were all gone.

4. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I have two Baja Special reels with Tom's bridge/dogs assembly on them, if by chance the upgraded Bridge is not available on the website of Cortez Convertions, you need to contact Tom, he will work with you to get your stock bridge and upgrade it with his magic

its really worth the wait and money, Baja Special reels get a new level in reability.
    also a big plus is that the dog/bridge assembly is plug&play, no more messing with crazy springs and floating dogs

check it out by your selft

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the ratchet is one piece with the sleeve and also has more meat for stronger contact with the dogs which are SS and not "cast iron" or some kind of soft steel that desintegrate with the use (all four dogs in the next pic are stock from Penn, the ones from Cortez Convertion are machined from a SS bar

[​IMG]

taken from Toms webpage:
    The bridge comes fully assembled ,drop in ready, with the following components:
    Modified Penn Bridge 3-113HN
    One piece construction, hardened 416 stainless steel gear sleeve.
    Hardened 17-4 stainless steel dogs.
    Modified Penn dog springs 14-15KG
    Stainless steel dog posts.
    Stainless steel washers, screws, and cir-clips.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    mackereljoe and skrilla like this.
  5. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Because the A/R pawls on my Baja Special were deformed, (from YoYo iron fishing with hammered drags?) I replaced them with stock parts and sold it. Might be a consideration now with these parts available.

6. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
  7. craigen

craigen Got Spooled

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks Alex. Now I can see pix. Although "plug&play" do you think I ought to re-grease the drag discs with Cal's drag grease on a new US113N?
    I'm not much of a gearhead but this upgrade is a vast improvement over stock parts. I don't think we will ever see it as an in-line Penn upgrade at this price point because Penn will probably sell more Fathom two speeds instead. Cheers...

8. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    it never hurts to apply a proper amount of cals drag grease to drag washers even when the reel is new (us reel-heads like to call it pre-service), the level of detail to protect your reel with a proper service normally is much better than the grease/lube is applied on the factory, so go for it

well that upgrade put it on another level of performance and reability so its worth it, after all every aftermarket upgrade is made using the best materials so, normally they ended up been costy.
    Baja and Fathom cannot be considered as a direct competition, one is a USA made reel with brute power and nostalgia value (hence the black sideplates) with no bling added to focus on fishing and not worry on scratches.
    and Fathom is a new reel from overseas with lots of value for the money but the real quality is on the torque reel, pretty sure that the test of time will be on favor of the Baja Special Senator reel vs Fathom line up.

9. craigen

craigen Got Spooled

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    none
    Yes, no comparison and I do have some Torques so I know what you mean. Looking forward to doing the installation. Will do Cal's grease and give it a pre-fish tune-up. Per Alan T. is this the "proper amount?"
    [​IMG]

10. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Thats good enough Craig
    Any excess of grease on the drag washer will be squeezed out from the main gear when you tighten the star drag for the 1st time (the drags are never too greasy)

11. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I think cortez conversions has the bridges back in stock. If your going to fish that reel hard,get one. Not a bad time to get one used on the cheap and do the upgrade. Heck of a lot of reel for the money

12. craigen

craigen Got Spooled

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    none
    I think one recently sold here in classifieds for $150! Beware of some of those used reels. I saw one on fleabay but it had lots of corrosion on the frame near the side plates. Some guys don't take care of their gear. Caveat emptor.