Offshore Upper 9, non-report

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster 150'
Got a somewhat early start outta harbor is., (5:30AM), no fog, nice 1/2 scoop mix of nicer deans with smaller ones, very lively. Headed to the north 9 directly into the swell/wind, only could do about 10-12 knots. The military was all over the place, carriers, and choppers along with littorals. My friend's brother, we'll call him "chuck" did not fare well, and blew chunks once we arrived at the 9. He continued to spew in an ab-blaster style, from the depths of his being. Milk duds from the 4th grade came up. His wretched condition forced us to go back in. No real signs of life, saw some porps and birds working a school of bait inside a bit, but nothing ever showed on the meter. Dropped him off on land, tried the whistler, but no takers. A few short bites. Wind, and mixed swell, with a few real swells rolling thru, sporties fished the whistler too (X3). Ready for the season to get into gear. Let the games begin...

Selah

Dec 13, 2005
san diego
Name
rob
Boat
21' Chris Craft
Best report I’ve read in a while!! So funny. Good on you for taking him back to terra firma. When I first started spearfishing I’d go to the islands every weekend and every weekend I’d get sick. It’s not funny when it’s you but other people....😀

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster 150'
It was the brother of the guy with the boat, so it was his call, including where to go. We threw out trollers for the longshot tuna possibility. 1 1/2 day trips finding them is not too far away, but definitely a long shot. I figgure with YT at the islands, maybe patties would start holding larger spawners. Tired of inshore for now, took a chance! Someone has to be the first guy on them close!