ripped

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
So I'm sitting out 2020 due to underlying health issues and decided to upgrade a Flambeau Portage Bag that I got for better than 1/2 off msrp. It's a great bag but is missing any internal frame so it's stability is lacking and tends to slump. What I did was to get a bunch of aluminum angle bar and SS screws build a frame reminiscent of the Mark Pack bag. It took a lot more time than I would have liked but my learning curve was steep. Like most things, to do it over again would be much easier knowing what I know now. Lots of mistakes that had to be fixed so go easy on me...ha! I know this is BD. There are a couple of screw points that still have to be cut off but it is now it's functional.

Here's the way it came.

IMG_7161.jpg

The bottom unzips so I could get the rack inside the bag.

IMG_7163.jpg

Here's the frame.

IMG_7173.jpg

With trays

IMG_7176.jpg

Very stable as you can see.

IMG_7177.jpg

Final thoughts. Yes it's the difference between night and day stability wize. Good thing I got the bag for cheap... aluminum isn't. The cost of materials brings the bag's cost back up to msrp but far superior to the original. Thanks for lookin', Gary

Last edited:

C Train

C Train
Jan 24, 2017
Name
Chris
Boat
Intrepid, RR3, Pacific Dawn
I was going to recommend you get a Plano Stowaway Organizer, which is what is in the Mark Packs, but what you did looks even sturdier! Well done! Hope you are able to get out there and use it soon.

Reactions: ripped and Steve K

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I was going to recommend you get a Plano Stowaway Organizer, which is what is in the Mark Packs, but what you did looks even sturdier! Well done! Hope you are able to get out there and use it soon.
Plano is $33.77 on Amazon. I used one, cut down for two trays in my Shimano Barona Bag. One for jigs, one for hooks and weights.

carnage007

May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
Looks like a fun project. You do sheet metal in your early days?

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Looks good.

You might want to add another brace facing to the left side on the back in addition to the one to the right. It would look like an "X" in the back with a screw in middle. The boxes help give it stability, but when the boxes are removed, your current setup could still collapse to right side if pushed since there are no other diagonal support. Notice its already tilted slightly to the right side right now?

The screws provide little to no support in the corners for tilting since it allows the frame to rotate. The only thing that keeps it from tilting is the friction between the metal pieces when you clamp them together with the screws. Another way to fix it is to weld the frame, but that its not easy with aluminum. To make it even stiffer, add some epoxy between the aluminum pieces in the frame before you screw it on.

It must have been a fun project.

Last edited:
Reactions: ripped

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
You’re giving me ideas on how to improve my SKB backpack. Would it be easier using rivets instead of screws?

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Looks good.

You might want to add another brace facing to the left side on the back in addition to the one to the right. It would look like an "X" in the back with a screw in middle. The boxes help give it stability, but when the boxes are removed, your current setup could still collapse to right side if pushed since there are no other diagonal support. Notice its already tilted slightly to the right side right now?

The screws provide little to no support in the corners for tilting since it allows the frame to rotate. The only thing that keeps it from tilting is the friction between the metal pieces when you clamp them together with the screws. Another way to fix it is to weld the frame, but that its not easy with aluminum. To make it even stiffer, add some epoxy between the aluminum pieces in the frame before you screw it on.

It must have been a fun project.
Thanks Alex for the suggestions. I repositioned the back brase and that straightened out the frame closer to square. I'll add an additional brase to form an X. Oh boy I get to buy more stuff! I also ordered some aluminum brazing rod and will braze at least all 8 corners.

You’re giving me ideas on how to improve my SKB backpack. Would it be easier using rivets instead of screws?
The pop rivets are a good idea. Especially if you drill the holes correctly the first time.

:imdumb:

Thanks for the compliment Nick. No, I only did some sheet metal work in High School 50 years ago. Back when they taught you everything you need to know to get through life.

Last edited:

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Ok, I took Alex's suggestions and added some more bracing and brazed all corners and braces. The front zipper is now operational with one hand with no need of hand guiding the zipper to prevent binding. I'm very happy with the outcome. If you have a bag that you like, either a custom or a Plano rack will improve it's performance over the original hamuk style design.
0.jpg

0-1.jpg

Last edited:

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Real nice. 👍

In about 25 years of fishing, the Mark Pack Ranger series of bags remain my favorite all around tackle bags, the internal frame being a big reason why. Too bad that they closed up shop, but I occasionally see knock-off versions at swap meets.