Upgrade or modification to Penn Fathom 40 2-speed?

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Ok.. what is blueprinting a reel?
This is where some reel tweakers can take your reel and optimize your freespool, while likely increasing your drag capability. This used to be done a lot on older Penn Internationals to drastically improve their performance and increase their functional drag. I personally believe this is way overkill for a Fathom. I have one and love it, but out of the box it's completely capable of the duties it's designed for. The boats that use these as loaners are taking them straight out of the box and fishing 60 or even 80 on them. I can't see buying a $200ish reel and spending that much again for an oversized handle and blueprinting.

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
If your interested in modding your 40/2 talk to the guys at Cals. I stopped by the Cals booth yesterday at FH and was talking to a guy about the service they perform on the Fathom 40/2.

I don’t want to misquote the guy so it would be better for you to talk with them. According to their flyer the service is $95.
I stopped by Cals booth yesterday and the 40 was amazing. Free spool was 3 minutes plus with the drag set at 22lbs. Cal said he's able to bump up the usable drag by 5 to 8 lbs. Wait time to have it done is 2 months.

coastalwerks

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 20, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Lance De Guzman
Boat
Local Kine!
I stopped by Cals booth yesterday and the 40 was amazing. Free spool was 3 minutes plus with the drag set at 22lbs. Cal said he's able to bump up the usable drag by 5 to 8 lbs. Wait time to have it done is 2 months.
Was just there today taking to Cal. Damn, didn’t think of asking about wait time. But they are local too me. Good stuff, he did mention that he was working on 15NLD2, 25NLD2, 30NLD2, and 40NLD2 in case anyone’s interested.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
If it were a Torque 40NLD2, I might consider sending it to Cal. But if you can’t get enough usable drag out of a Fathom with freespool for flylining your bait, you really ought to get a better reel.

One of the features and benefits of getting the reel tuned is the way they change the ramp up on the drag. Let’s take an Accurate ATD30 for example, and I’ve fished them stock and modified, or as Gary Teraoka describes them, “not street legal” :) From freespool, bump the drag lever up just a bit, and on the out of the box model, you’re at what seems like at least half of your strike setting, but the reel that’s been to Cal has now a very light drag. The drag gradually ramps up instead of jumping to your strike setting. This is the nice feature if you want to very slowly wind in a nose hooked bait.

But the best part is getting improved freespool while at the same time more usable drag. Had some work done on an old Penn 30S and the difference before and after was truly remarkable.

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
All I have done to mine was have Wes put a tiburon T bar on it. makes it 10x more comfortable to grind on big fish
I dont see a part number for a fathom handle or even a penn torque 40. Which Tib handle did he install do you know?

RShelton1

May 30, 2017
Vista, CA
Name
Reiner Shelton
Boat
Mako 21- Tuna Pounder
I dont see a part number for a fathom handle or even a penn torque 40. Which Tib handle did he install do you know?
It should be the tbar lite. It doesn't look like tiburon has updated there list in a while. If your local to north san diego, just go into Kens and ask, they'll hook it up

Reactions: Spanky79

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
It should be the tbar lite. It doesn't look like tiburon has updated there list in a while. If your local to north san diego, just go into Kens and ask, they'll hook it up
Yes I believe it is the t bar lite, however there are a bunch of different sizes for dif reels. Closest one is penn torque 30

RShelton1

May 30, 2017
Vista, CA
Name
Reiner Shelton
Boat
Mako 21- Tuna Pounder
Yes I believe it is the t bar lite, however there are a bunch of different sizes for dif reels. Closest one is penn torque 30
the exact model I'm not sure about. I would assume it would be the same as a trq30ld2

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
I sent mine in this week. 60 2 Speed Talked to couple friends who have had it done. Eric at cal sheets was very helpful, Excited to get it back. 40 lbs of smooth drag. 20 plus at strike with tiny reel free spool.

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
I sent my fathom 60 2 speed last week. I want the the extra line capacity for 100lb spectra and 80 top shot. Eric sheets says it have about 5 more lb of drag and 20 or more at strike with amazing free spool. I like the way that Tiburon handle looks I might have to pick one up . I will use the 40 2 speed That I have as is.. it should handle anything in the 50 class range I use it for I forgot to ask Eric how .ong the service takes. Anyone know ?

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
I sent my fathom 60 2 speed last week. I want the the extra line capacity for 100lb spectra and 80 top shot. Eric sheets says it have about 5 more lb of drag and 20 or more at strike with amazing free spool. I like the way that Tiburon handle looks I might have to pick one up . I will use the 40 2 speed That I have as is.. it should handle anything in the 50 class range I use it for I forgot to ask Eric how .ong the service takes. Anyone know ?
He said they're currently running 7-8 weeks turnaround when I last checked with him about 3 weeks ago.

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
Thx birdie. I figured about that. I’m sure they get a ton of work during the closure till March 1st. I ask sent in my 12T international they tricked out years ago ( 2 speed) to be gone through again as well . That reel is awesome

Bite1

May 18, 2015
Name
Mo Bunz
Boat
Wednesday Cabrillo Beach
I I blueprinted mine. People will say this is dumb with a diecast reel but boy was it worth it. Fishing heavier bait setups or flatfalls for 100lb bluefin and it makes all the difference. I would highly recommend it if your fishing 50-60lb and fishing with drag at 17 plus. It spins better than my stars, even at 30 lbs of drag (which I'd never fish this at haha)

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Common misconception about lever vs star reels is that how long the spool spins = better casting. A light spool will not spin as long as a heavy spool. The freespool test most people do looks cool but doesn't equal good casting. A properly lubed 80W will spin forever, but cant cast.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I never mess with my reels but I'm digging the improvements you guys are seeing.

That 40 has become a workhorse for us on those medium size BFT. Solid af and tough as nails.

They also double as my favorite cod reel.

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
Excited to see all posts on this. Looking forward to using it on something that pulls.