Update: What 300 size bait casting reel for both calico and YT ?

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    Don't. They need to work on those reels. They preform pretty good, caught a 50-60lb bft in 30 mins with 30lb with the 450. Handle bent inward though and the paint job is worst in it's class. Also when the reel is full to the brim it likes to collect more in the middle and doesn't give any line to the sides.

I would go lexa 400
    Unless you fish in bay and off peirs like me, then clicker is a good feature to have.
    Damn. Sucks to hear. I’ll find out just bought one. I do also have the Lexa 400HD 😉

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    The new Lexas with T-wings were just released at iCast so I'll be looking to pick one of those up. The T-wing is a game changer for casting distance and backlash control on their freshwater reels.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y and eDUBz
    Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    The new Lexas with T-wings were just released at iCast so I'll be looking to pick one of those up. The T-wing is a game changer for casting distance and backlash control on their freshwater reels.
    The Corona Turners just got it in Yesterday, seen it when I was there when I got my Komodo.

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    You'll love that Komodo. I have the 3 and 400 size and both are beasts. I had both sized Tranx and sold them fairly quickly. Felt like I had to adjust the tension knob any time I switched baits and even then they were way too prone to backlash. Never have had that problem on older Curados, Lexas, Okuma, or 13 reels.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Check out the Accurate Valiant 300. Things are tiny if you are down with conventional. I dig them.

Reactions: eDUBz
    Upvote 0

keada714

Jun 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    None
    IMO, good choice on the Komodo. Been using Komodo 471 and 463 and love them. Catch everything locally and just got back from a trip where we were catching and releasing foaming BFT up to 40lb. Hard to beat 3 year warranty as well. Send them to Okuma every year for service. Only gripe with them were the first version had those tiny as power handle knob and the shitty paint job (fish on the deck can't tell the difference though). They actually listened to the fishing community bitch and changed the knob design.

My experience with the Tranx and and observation with the Lexa is as follows, YMMV.

Tranx
    Though they fit in my hands the best, I had to sell both of them. The issue is rust after about 10 trips. Couldn't casually remove the spool without considerable force. Was told not to rinse down my reel after each trip. This is still something I do on the Komodo without an issue. It just rub me the wrong way how a reel with all multiple seals to keep the water out really just kept them from draining. On foul weather days, reels will see the same "rinse" from salt water sitting on the gunnel rod holders. Poor design and solution in my opinion.

Lexa
    No personal experience with it, but I have seen how they preform for a friend. He has the latest 300HD and 400HD that both ran into issues. The 300 size knob shaft started to rock due to improper swage onto the handle. As for the 400 size, drag froze after catching a 35lb bft. He lost the second due to this. Was fishing 40 leader so drag wasn't button down.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    IMO, good choice on the Komodo. Been using Komodo 471 and 463 and love them. Catch everything locally and just got back from a trip where we were catching and releasing foaming BFT up to 40lb. Hard to beat 3 year warranty as well. Send them to Okuma every year for service. Only gripe with them were the first version had those tiny as power handle knob and the shitty paint job (fish on the deck can't tell the difference though). They actually listened to the fishing community bitch and changed the knob design.

My experience with the Tranx and and observation with the Lexa is as follows, YMMV.

Tranx
    Though they fit in my hands the best, I had to sell both of them. The issue is rust after about 10 trips. Couldn't casually remove the spool without considerable force. Was told not to rinse down my reel after each trip. This is still something I do on the Komodo without an issue. It just rub me the wrong way how a reel with all multiple seals to keep the water out really just kept them from draining. On foul weather days, reels will see the same "rinse" from salt water sitting on the gunnel rod holders. Poor design and solution in my opinion.

Lexa
    No personal experience with it, but I have seen how they preform for a friend. He has the latest 300HD and 400HD that both ran into issues. The 300 size knob shaft started to rock due to improper swage onto the handle. As for the 400 size, drag froze after catching a 35lb bft. He lost the second due to this. Was fishing 40 leader so drag wasn't button down.
    Thanks for the info. I’m leaving Sunday so I’ll put both the lexa and Komodo to use.

Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    Here it is paired with a Lamiglass, feels comfortable.

95ABD79D-69E0-484A-AAC1-87B4F7AD98A2.jpeg

876ED985-A38B-437C-92AC-D4AD39B08CE4.jpeg

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    Komodos are the only bait casters Ill buy moving forward... Ive gone through (2) tranx 400s... both turned to absolute trash... and I clean my reels as soon as I get home each trip. thumb bars stick... anti reverse failures... levelwind gear failure... the drag backs off by itself... not sure those reels are even truely made for saltwater apps?

Reactions: eDUBz and keada714
    Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    Komodos are the only bait casters Ill buy moving forward... Ive gone through (2) tranx 400s... both turned to absolute trash... and I clean my reels as soon as I get home each trip. thumb bars stick... anti reverse failures... levelwind gear failure... the drag backs off by itself... not sure those reels are even truely made for saltwater apps?
    Wow that sucks, did you report that to Shimano they should give you your money back.

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    Wow that sucks, did you report that to Shimano they should give you your money back.
    I didnt... one of them I bought brand new... and the other I bought here on BDs... the used one actually lasted longer than the new one. Also had both reels completely lock up exactly the same... the anti reverse dog would get smashed down and wedged when the thumb bar got pushed to cast... I have no issues with Shimano as a whole... great reels... but those two were Turds...

Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    Update! Took the Komodo 463 out on an overnight trip.
    Saw a 40# class BFT get landed on a 300 Komodo and 400 Komodo yesterday so that’s promising. My thoughts on the reel. It feels great and cast great out of the box, but the line seemed to bunch up In the center of the spool, also the clutch wouldn’t completely engage, I would have to push up from the bottom to lock it in. Irritating. So far I like my Daiwa 400 HD.

A8E5491E-7542-43F5-92E0-DB7FB78D5292.jpeg

Upvote 0

jowo

• Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Looking to pick up two 300 size bait casting reels, low profile or round, using them for Calico / YT action. (I should mention I have a Lexa 400 I recently bought ) Whatcha got ? I’ve been out of the game enough to see there’s so some good 💩 out there across the board with all kinds of various price points and features - $350 per reel max if that works 🤟
    The new Lexa 400/tatula 400 has a smaller profile than the old one and is an absolute tank.

Upvote 0