Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
late post but thought it may help some.

The Port Authority had Shelter Island Launch Ramp closed at 1pm yesterday due to THE LOT BEING FULL.. New social distancing for parked trucks w/trailers has them utilizing fewer of the parking spaces by keeping them apart.

So when they determine no more parking spaces, they shut down the entrance to the lots & the ramp. The only open entrance is to the east of the ramp getting near the Bali High restaurant. Good signs to direct you to this entrance

On my way out saw boats being toward towards the entrance. Not sure if they got to line up and do the "one boat leaves, then another goes in" like they are doing .

Swung by Mission Bay and checked out the Dana launch ramp. Not good signs here. They have the entrance totally closed off. They now use the exit as both entrance and exit. SD Police controlling the flow. It was open for launching but they told me a similar story of if the lot full, no launch.

NOTE: All Police working both places were friendly and informative when asked questions.

Dana Landing police said that they leave in the afternoon evening and return in the morning. They leave the entrance open during the other hours without supervision.

Forgot to ask Shelter Island Police if they are 24/7 at the entrance. Maybe someone will reply if they launched early At or Sunday and found ramp without them.

Heard South Shores is being run the same also fromthe Dana LAnding police. Did not stop there though.

Reactions: Ribak
Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
I was just down at Dana Landing. The lot was still open. They want us parking with empty stalls on either side. The entrance and exit are in the same location which is the normal exit location. Not a lot of people out there. Police were patrolling the sand using side by sides. The boardwalk by Crown point is still closed as are the parking lots. I saw no one fishing from shore. Baitfish was up on top. Terns were working them. I was paddleboarding with my wife. So, no fishing today. It was good to be back on the water non-the-less.

John

Upvote 0

Iron Mike

Experienced
Sep 30, 2009
SAN DIEGO
Name
Mike
Boat
35 Cabo Express
Just wait till the bite picks up and the attitudes start to heat up if you cant launch your boat ....it will be like Encinitas and will shut it down completely ....go to forums and read ' Dont Be A Dick "

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
I was just down at Dana Landing. The lot was still open. They want us parking with empty stalls on either side. The entrance and exit are in the same location which is the normal exit location. Not a lot of people out there. Police were patrolling the sand using side by sides. The boardwalk by Crown point is still closed as are the parking lots. I saw no one fishing from shore. Baitfish was up on top. Terns were working them. I was paddleboarding with my wife. So, no fishing today. It was good to be back on the water non-the-less.

John

John, how was water quality when paddleboarding?
been thinking of sucking ghost shrimp and fishing bay/beach. but just waiting till water quality gets better. Glad to hear of bait fish with birds working

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Today was Mother's Day and what a great way to celebrate then being on the water with social disntancing. On the flip side if they were all anglers, I expect a whole bunch of reports for the spots down there.

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
John, how was water quality when paddleboarding?
been thinking of sucking ghost shrimp and fishing bay/beach. but just waiting till water quality gets better. Glad to hear of bait fish with birds working

Not clear until you were just in a foot of waTer or less. Not super red tide thick either. It looks like it is cleaning up. The birds we’re working small groups of bait. The tide was really low and we had no sun. Water felt mid 60s or higher. Really surprised to see the lack of boats in the bay.

John

Upvote 0

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
Just got to launch 4 am . See people at the beach walking right next to each other no problem . Bought a ten thousand bass boat pay a hump a month for storage . Cant use it , who is making these rules . b

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Social distancing for trucks and trailers?

This is getting dumb
Do they think the trucks are going to contaminate each other?
(Tundra) "Hey Ram, do you have Corona?"
(Ram) "No, but I have a misfire on Cylinder 3 and my trailers left brake light is out!"

Reactions: bman440440
Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
I got to Shelter Island ramp around 4:30 am Saturday 5-9-2020 and found no supervision and cones in the parking lot to keep 6 feet from other parked vehicle. Sure don't want car problems. Launched without issue. On the return they were limiting the entrance to parking and as soon as I left my parking spot, another truck and trailer replaced my spot. I had a vehicle on both sides of my rig, but, the car wasn't sick.

Upvote 0