Update on the Andros 12 and 16 test models

Discussion in 'Okuma Fishing Tackle' started by renegademike, Sep 27, 2013.

1. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    just to let you guys know. so far the Andros 12 and 16 test models have been working flawlessly. No issues whatsoever.

Since aug 31 when Mike Bennett fished with us for the first time the 2 reels have caught aprox 25 billfish (mostly strips but many sailfish also) and about 50 to 60 dorado. These were all bait fish. either live bait or chin weighted ballyhoo. many other billfish and dorado were caught on the troll using the Makaira MK 50II and a few on the Makaira SAe 20 on bait

The only compliant I have is that the 12 and 16 do not have Harness lugs at the moment but I hope they will once they hit the market. I am a big believer in standup fishing using a full harness and we are really good at introducing it to first timers. its really tough for most people to hold a rod with 30lbs of drag for more that 15 mins but with a full harness you can really put the pressure on fish and get them in a timely matter. It really makes a difference with the marlin especially as we like to release them in the best possible shape.

I will try and remember to take some pics of the reels next to a old Cal sheeted penn 16s that I have with a Tiburon open face and a T-Bar handle so you can get an idea on the size of these reels.

On the Andros 12 and 16 we have been fishing 65lb spectra and a short top shot of 80lb P-line CXX and at times using a short 3 ft piece of YoZuri 80lb pink HD fluro. We have been using about 20lbs of drag at strike and bringing it up to 30lbs of drag once the fish settles down. I am amazed at how much drag you can put on these little reels. The Drags are so smooth you can really but the wood to fish.

As any of you that have fished with me before know I like to test our tackle to the limit and these reels have handled it well

2. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    Sounds great. Lugs would be nice. These reels will be very versatile.

3. Excaliber

Excaliber Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    sold
    Thanks for the report Mike. How big are these reels size wise compared to the Makaira 15? Are they similar in size and capacity to the Shimano Talica 2 12 and 16 size reels?

4. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Cool to hear, lugs would definitely be a good addition for the larger sizes. Thanks for the update!

-Connor

5. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    Here is some pics of the reels next to some other reels similar in size.
    The other reels are a old penn 16s with a tiburan frame. One of my favorite marlin bait reels for many years. And on the far right is the Makaira 20 SAe
    IMG_1415.jpg IMG_1417.jpg IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1420.jpg IMG_1421.JPG IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1423.JPG

6. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Any idea when these reels are comin out???

7. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    How do they compare in features and price to the Makairas?

8. scott v

scott v Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Keep wishing
    X2 on when they might be available. Figured some people would be dumping used (new) gear in the off season after the blue fin bite this year and was looking at picking up a 50-60 reel. I have 2 5II's and would love a larger size andros. I would hold off on buying gear in the off season if I knew these would be available before next summer.

9. MarkColeman

MarkColeman Boat Slave Advertiser

Westport, Copalis, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos
    Name:
    Mark Coleman
    Boat:
    16' Guide, 20' Scout, 290 Defiance Guadalupe's Tight, Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs Go Fish
    Great to hear. Lugs shouldn't be to far behind. I'm going to sweet talk Mike and John into a bunch of Andros for our tuna trips next season! I've been using solterras for four seasons and they really are a solid entry level lever drag but I want people to be able to really experience the live bait fishing on an Andros!!!

10. TheMarlinHunter

TheMarlinHunter Member

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    ZX 20 Skeeter Bass Boat
    Yea mark I want to see some of those next year hahah! Mike where going to have to give these things a good test in December!

11. mitchman

mitchman Member

Name:
    Mitchell Buck
    Boat:
    none
    How much 65lb spectra did you get on the 12 and 16?

12. renegademike

renegademike Member

Name:
    Mike T
    Boat:
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    Not sure as I did not put the line on the reels but we have not come close to getting spooled on any marlin we have gotten and we have had some 160lbers on. On the 16 I would say very similar to a penn 16 with a Tiburon frame. I am running about a 100 ft 80lb topshot.