Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
hi guys,

I’ll be up there Saturday for 3 days of fishing near clover pass.

Any reports on his salmon/halibut fishing is going up there?

Also, any advice on tackle I should bring up for the salmon or halibut?

I got some spoons, squid hoochies, 2/0 to 5/0 siwash hooks for rigging, and 8/0 to 16/0 hooks with 100-150lb leader for halibut.

Anything specific I should bring beyond this?

I’ll be rigging all my herring rigs on my own...using 25-40lb fluoro on all, to use on the riggers.

Also....is a halibut chum bag worth bringing, and tying off to the anchor?

This is self guided...sooooo..it’s up to me I guess.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Upvote 0

pura vida

Pura Vida II
Jan 29, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Gene Miller
Boat
Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
Good luck, but I've been told by the guy that bought my boat that the Salmon fishing is very poor.

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Yeah...I heard the same...but was hoping it’s changed.

What’s shutting it down? Water temps?

Upvote 0

BTE

Jun 21, 2007
Salt lake City
Name
Bryan
Boat
23 Century
Yeah...I heard the same...but was hoping it’s changed.

What’s shutting it down? Water temps?
I talked with a friend today in Coffman Cove just north of Ketchikan and today was the best day on silvers so far this year. Hopefully the fish are showing up now because I leave for a week of fishing on Saturday.

No chum bag needed, nobody who rents boats will allow you to anchor, too dangerous.

Who you renting the boat from?

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
I talked with a friend today in Coffman Cove just north of Ketchikan and today was the best day on silvers so far this year. Hopefully the fish are showing up now because I leave for a week of fishing on Saturday.

No chum bag needed, nobody who rents boats will allow you to anchor, too dangerous.

Who you renting the boat from?

I actually rented a vrbo on pennock island, and it has an outfitted 21 pro v hewes hard top.

Clover is around a 15 min run from pennock (I believe.)

I hope it picks up!

Upvote 0

BTE

Jun 21, 2007
Salt lake City
Name
Bryan
Boat
23 Century
I actually rented a vrbo on pennock island, and it has an outfitted 21 pro v hewes hard top.

Clover is around a 15 min run from pennock (I believe.)

I hope it picks up!
I used to spend a week every summer in Clover Pass renting a 20' Pro V but have been going to Coffman Cove the last 8 years so no recent info to help you out. When I did fish there this time of year the best salmon drag was the north end of Gravina Island and west. Best halibut was across Clarence Strait along Prince of Wales Island or east of Clover Pass campground.
Have fun and be careful the weather can turn pretty shitty quick especially in Clarence Strait. Post a report when you get back.

Upvote 0

waldocod

Almost A Member
Mar 27, 2007
Washington
Name
Steve
Boat
Arima Sea Legend
hi guys,

I got some spoons, squid hoochies, 2/0 to 5/0 siwash hooks for rigging, and 8/0 to 16/0 hooks with 100-150lb leader for halibut.

I’ll be rigging all my herring rigs on my own...using 25-40lb fluoro on all, to use on the riggers.

PM sent

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
I used to spend a week every summer in Clover Pass renting a 20' Pro V but have been going to Coffman Cove the last 8 years so no recent info to help you out. When I did fish there this time of year the best salmon drag was the north end of Gravina Island and west. Best halibut was across Clarence Strait along Prince of Wales Island or east of Clover Pass campground.
Have fun and be careful the weather can turn pretty shitty quick especially in Clarence Strait. Post a report when you get back.

I definitely will post a report, I appreciate the info.

We have 3.5 days of fishing, so my brother and I will definitely cover some ground, and try to get to areas with less pressure.

I keep a log when I fish, so I’ll report what I see, and what works.

Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Fish Asassin
Upvote 0

wgsftim

Aug 15, 2013
wash
Name
tim
Boat
na
hi guys,

Upvote 0

wgsftim

Aug 15, 2013
wash
Name
tim
Boat
na
I have fished KTN for years. If you run North to CP watch the wind in Tongass Narrows we got caught years ago and could not make it back. We moored the boats overnight at CP and took a cab to the Motel "the Narrows" We then started fishing up north from then on, we now use chinook shores a great place check out their web site. I think if I was south like you on Pennock I would fish south
down Nichols Passage between Granvia and Annette Island. I think your luck would be better the farther south you go on the Granvia side. Again watch your weather, if southerly kicks up you will be going with the wind. I would also call Alaska Fish and Game in KTN about places to fish on that side. When we at chinook shores we run south towards the end of Granvina and that is where we have has the best silver fishing. We keep it simple for silvers only using herring and a Metzler flash bar up 3 feet from the herring and 6'0 Mustad wire hooks with the second hook at least an inch behind the tail, fish them whole, I like red label.
We fish four to a boat with two on the wire and two long line with 3 OZ of lead.
Have a great time and I hope you find some of this info helpful.
Tim

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Here’s my report:

Day 1 Aug 18
-landed at approx 12:30pm, and was promptly picked up at the boat dock by the homeowner, and made the run to Safeway for food items.

Boat owner gave us a rundown on the hewescraft hard top, and suggested a few spots for salmon.

Since we had a short day, and pushed off the dock around 2:30/3 we decided to make the run up valenar bay. We trolled squid squirts / herring / coho killer spoon.

We ended the day around 6pm with 1 coho and a legal king farmed at the boat. Both fish came on the white uv glow squid squirt.

Water hovered around 58-60. We fished 30-100 feet on the downriggers. Weather picked up considerably, and we took a beam swell till we cleared valenar point.

Day 2

We decided to run south to point alava, for halibut. I found a good 40 fathom line near a pinnacle and set the anchor. We used salmon heads/bellies/herring/squid. I brought up a promar seal proof lobster tube, and hooked it to the anchor with chum and butt juice.

We waited around for approx 1 hour then we got hit. Pulled up a decent halibut (turned out to be the biggest, at the time when delivered to cedars for processing. After another 2 hours...we got hit on a savage gear 10 inch scampi uv jig, with a squid tip. After an hour....we pulled up.....what I initially thought at deep color was a 100 pound Plus halibut...it was a massive skate. Disappointed...we moved spots, put in some more time on the halibut for nothing. On the way home we stopped at cove (maybe cone) island for a single pink salmon (white uv squid).

Decided to call it a day around 4 and headed in.

Day 3

Headed to clover pass area....(boat traffic was insane) arrived around 6am...and caught 1 legal king / 2 decent coho / 1 pink. We fished this area pretty much all day. The most difficult part was getting past all 8-12 inch kings. These things wouldn’t set off the downrigger....and they seemed thick. We would drag them around for a bit....then notice the faintest taps on the rod....then proceed to release around 20 of them through out the day.

We fished all surrounding points/bays and only managed what we could. Definitely tough fishing (atleast for us).

Day 4

Plan was to head across Clarence strait for halibut...decided against it since we had conflicting wind/swell reports. I wasn’t interested in the beat down, so we decided to head south of point alava, to nice fathom curve we spotted on a chart.

We got there, set up, fished approx 5 hours. We got 1-30/40 lb halibut. We got this halibut 10 minutes prior to slack....which was the same for the first one we got.

After 5 hours...I said screw it....we need atleast bring home 2 boxes of fish....so I decided to head to rocky point. On our previous trip to alava I metered a bunch off rock fish near a ledge, a couple hundred feet off the point.

I decided to tie on some flat falls....it was wide open on yellowtail rock fish. We picked up a few quill backs, and 1 legal lingcod.

My personal takeaway:
I got sunburned on this trip....weather was warm (70’s) water was anywhere from 58-62 (seemed to warm....to me).

We had zero rain....most streams were dry....trees seemed to be turning brown...it just didn’t feel right....weather and water wise.

There is a TON of pressure on these few fish, atleast in my opinion. Trolling for salmon near and around clover pass is a challenge in boat nav skills using a 9.9 kicker.

Where we fished for halibut...we had no fewer than 5 boats within a 300 yard radius.

Pretty tough trip....but still a good trip, regardless of the fishing.

Hope this helps

70D779C4-D7FB-4458-9B7F-DD4F738248B7.jpeg

Reactions: joecote8 and Peteb
Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
They’re getting some rain, as we speak... I think you’ll be in good position. It was the driest I have ever seen it...the rain should help.

Good luck!!!

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Last thing,

If you can...grab a few of the “silver horde coho killers”. They are great...

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BTE

Jun 21, 2007
Salt lake City
Name
Bryan
Boat
23 Century
Here’s my report:

Day 1 Aug 18
-landed at approx 12:30pm, and was promptly picked up at the boat dock by the homeowner, and made the run to Safeway for food items.

Boat owner gave us a rundown on the hewescraft hard top, and suggested a few spots for salmon.

Since we had a short day, and pushed off the dock around 2:30/3 we decided to make the run up valenar bay. We trolled squid squirts / herring / coho killer spoon.

We ended the day around 6pm with 1 coho and a legal king farmed at the boat. Both fish came on the white uv glow squid squirt.

Water hovered around 58-60. We fished 30-100 feet on the downriggers. Weather picked up considerably, and we took a beam swell till we cleared valenar point.

Day 2

We decided to run south to point alava, for halibut. I found a good 40 fathom line near a pinnacle and set the anchor. We used salmon heads/bellies/herring/squid. I brought up a promar seal proof lobster tube, and hooked it to the anchor with chum and butt juice.

We waited around for approx 1 hour then we got hit. Pulled up a decent halibut (turned out to be the biggest, at the time when delivered to cedars for processing. After another 2 hours...we got hit on a savage gear 10 inch scampi uv jig, with a squid tip. After an hour....we pulled up.....what I initially thought at deep color was a 100 pound Plus halibut...it was a massive skate. Disappointed...we moved spots, put in some more time on the halibut for nothing. On the way home we stopped at cove (maybe cone) island for a single pink salmon (white uv squid).

Decided to call it a day around 4 and headed in.

Day 3

Headed to clover pass area....(boat traffic was insane) arrived around 6am...and caught 1 legal king / 2 decent coho / 1 pink. We fished this area pretty much all day. The most difficult part was getting past all 8-12 inch kings. These things wouldn’t set off the downrigger....and they seemed thick. We would drag them around for a bit....then notice the faintest taps on the rod....then proceed to release around 20 of them through out the day.

We fished all surrounding points/bays and only managed what we could. Definitely tough fishing (atleast for us).

Day 4

Plan was to head across Clarence strait for halibut...decided against it since we had conflicting wind/swell reports. I wasn’t interested in the beat down, so we decided to head south of point alava, to nice fathom curve we spotted on a chart.

We got there, set up, fished approx 5 hours. We got 1-30/40 lb halibut. We got this halibut 10 minutes prior to slack....which was the same for the first one we got.

After 5 hours...I said screw it....we need atleast bring home 2 boxes of fish....so I decided to head to rocky point. On our previous trip to alava I metered a bunch off rock fish near a ledge, a couple hundred feet off the point.

I decided to tie on some flat falls....it was wide open on yellowtail rock fish. We picked up a few quill backs, and 1 legal lingcod.

My personal takeaway:
I got sunburned on this trip....weather was warm (70’s) water was anywhere from 58-62 (seemed to warm....to me).

We had zero rain....most streams were dry....trees seemed to be turning brown...it just didn’t feel right....weather and water wise.

There is a TON of pressure on these few fish, atleast in my opinion. Trolling for salmon near and around clover pass is a challenge in boat nav skills using a 9.9 kicker.

Where we fished for halibut...we had no fewer than 5 boats within a 300 yard radius.

Pretty tough trip....but still a good trip, regardless of the fishing.

Hope this helps

View attachment 957432
Sounds like a decent trip with the water temps like they are and the wind up all week. Pretty cool that they let you use an anchor on the rental boat. In the years I rented boats at Knudson Cove Marina and Chinook Shores anchors were not allowed.

I was in Coffman Cove up Clarence Strait from Ketchikan the week of the 18th through the 26th with the fishing being off compared to years past.. Lots of legal kings but only 1 per person for season, silver fishing was OK 2 days but not anywhere near normal, halibut was tough but the ones caught were all larger fish and the rockfish ling fishing was great as always. Still had a great time with my boys.

Upvote 0

Peteb

newbie my ass
Nov 30, 2010
Lake Havasu City, Az
Name
Pete
Boat
None
Thanks for the detailed report. Sorry it wasn't more productive for you. We will be heading up on Saturday for 6 days.
Less than average trip for us. Fished Sunday thru Wednesday, and a couple hours Thursday before flying out. Boat 1 w/ 3 fishing ended up with 18. Boat 2 w/4 had 20. Really nice grade of fish, 9-13 lbs. Broke off a nice king first day on 20lb leader. Retied everything with 40. Tuesday hooked into a large king. My youngest brothers rod (this is the only fishing he does). He played it perfect. 3 times to the boat. Standing on the outboard bracket getting ready to net it and it spits the hooks. It was hooked on a surface line, 6oz weight and naked herring. I’ve been fishing the PNW, B.C. and Alaska for over 30 years and this was the biggest King brought to any boat I’ve been on. I know they’re always bigger when you lose them but this was a legitimate wall hanger. Great trip nonetheless and already have reservations for next year.
Back to the Island and there are no fish in Area 7!

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2017
Kennewick WA
Name
Brian
Boat
Seasport
Less than average trip for us. Fished Sunday thru Wednesday, and a couple hours Thursday before flying out. Boat 1 w/ 3 fishing ended up with 18. Boat 2 w/4 had 20. Really nice grade of fish, 9-13 lbs. Broke off a nice king first day on 20lb leader. Retied everything with 40. Tuesday hooked into a large king. My youngest brothers rod (this is the only fishing he does). He played it perfect. 3 times to the boat. Standing on the outboard bracket getting ready to net it and it spits the hooks. It was hooked on a surface line, 6oz weight and naked herring. I’ve been fishing the PNW, B.C. and Alaska for over 30 years and this was the biggest King brought to any boat I’ve been on. I know they’re always bigger when you lose them but this was a legitimate wall hanger. Great trip nonetheless and already have reservations for next year.
Back to the Island and there are no fish in Area 7!

Nice to hear the silvers are getting some size! Headed back up there Sunday! Thanks for the report

Upvote 0