TunaHore

World Champion Boat Ho
Jun 5, 2012
Island
Name
Tuck
Boat
Carolina Dory
I have a friend making an unusual trip - and needs a rod/reel recommendation. My friend is on a sailboat heading from Puget Sound down to Puerto Vallarta, short stay there then Panama - thru the canal and finally to Bonaire in the Carribe. The boat is full of non-fisherman. But they are hoping to throw out a line and hope for a tuna or something along the way. There will be a mix of speeds, 5 knots under sail, up to 9 knots under power.

So, I am thinking cedar plug, X-Rap, Swim baits......but they won't be casting a paddies or jigging. All trolling. Obviously spending much of their time in yellowfin country. But I don't think the crew can handle, board, care for, and store anything bigger than 70#s.

Looking for all kinds or recommendations.
-tuck

Chtucker

Lowe boat denter
Feb 15, 2012
Sunshine State, AKA NOT.. Kirkland, WA
Name
Howard
Boat
Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
I can’t recommend a rod/reel, but I can say that my non fisher family friends sailed around Tierra Del Fuego through the canal and then to Europe. They caught small mahi/yellowfin pretty regularly. They did not have any refrigeration on the boat, so they only kept what they could eat.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
You nailed it! My aunt used to sail all over and they typically drug a handling with cedar plug and often picked up great table fare!

Can’t go wraps with X-wrap

SalishFish

Dec 14, 2013
Anacortes - Dewey
Name
Doug
Boat
22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
Been using a short halibut type meat stick in a clamp-on rod holder for last five years with bigger Penn...in the Med. Heavier braids, skipping the leader lately. Used clones, cedar plugs, swim baits and big blade (deep) X-raps. The x-raps have a lot of drag and less fun to clear plastic so clones “were” my preferred terminal tackle.

2C - catch all of your fish before you get inside the Med. It’s essentially dead. After 1000’s of hours dragging all of the above I have hooked two somethings which were maybe fish and helped rid the seas of 100’s of pieces of plastic. Inside Gibraltar is not worth the effort in my experience.

Reactions: liltrouble

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Hand line cedar plug or top baits. Clones Or talk to @Marlin Mike about a buster bar.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
It’s trolling, for food. Would be hard to beat 2-3 handlines (spares) with natural cedar plugs. 50-75’ each. Run 1-2 at a time, have the third for back up. They’ll take up next to no space. I suggest knotting the tuna cord every 6’ or so, so it’ll be easier to pull in.

Titan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Kamen
Boat
Dinghy
I agree with cedar plugs on handlines and would add a heavy wire leader as they would be sailing through wahoo waters.

Reactions: liltrouble

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
Snoopy pole have some fun...….:-)