Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of a UC set up for lighter long range fishing. My last few trips the 30# rig has been pretty important. What do you guys recommend in this class? I prefer fast action and higher line ratings....something like a Mega or Monster C. Any opinions? Do you guys fish a reel seat or cork tape etc on these blanks? I actually was about to create a new thread on this topic.

Thoughts?

Reactions: evb
Upvote 0

Atuna

Salt
May 3, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Whatever floats
We should all be thankful that somehow the stars have aligned and we have these phenomenally designed blanks and rods built by a true master craftsman. The original blanks were savored by many, but Randy, as he has done so often in the past has artfully weaved his genius into this new generation of rods.
Kudos to him and his team!

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of a UC set up for lighter long range fishing. My last few trips the 30# rig has been pretty important. What do you guys recommend in this class? I prefer fast action and higher line ratings....something like a Mega or Monster C. Any opinions? Do you guys fish a reel seat or cork tape etc on these blanks? I actually was about to create a new thread on this topic.

Thoughts?

To me this sounds like a Wahoo Jr.

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

nootz

Aug 15, 2011
Oceanside
Name
Bev
Boat
nt
Jim,

Just curious on what your preference is for the wahoo jr vs the tilefish jr? Seems like you have fished a bunch of these rods. I was also looking for something in the 30# class, but went with the tilefish jr.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Jim,

Just curious on what your preference is for the wahoo jr vs the tilefish jr? Seems like you have fished a bunch of these rods. I was also looking for something in the 30# class, but went with the tilefish jr.

Bev, I chose the Wahoo Jr. because the shutoff was a couple of inches closer to the tip, and it felt like a stouter rod than the Tilefish Jr. Ever since I started acquiring rods, I have always had a preference for a little more backbone than some other anglers seem to. The Predator, for example, is rated 50-80, and fishes all of that range very well indeed. But to me it is a 40-50lb stick...and absolutely perfect in that role.

The Wahoo Jr. is rated 40-60lbs, and it is a really fine 30-40lb rod for me. Honestly, it will do better than that...it excels at fishing 50lb bait for tuna up to 100lbs. But it has a very sensitive tip and a wonderful action, so I use it for 40lbs, and sometimes 30lbs.

The 76 Tilefish Jr. is rated 25-40lbs. It's a wonderful blank! But for me, it feels soft at 30lbs. Probably because I am used to fishing a Wahoo Jr. at 30lbs!

Remember, different strokes for different folks. There have been times since I started fishing on the San Diego boats when I tied into fish that were just plain too big and strong for the rods I was using at the time. One memorable occasion was at the Alijos Rocks. Another was at Isla Guadalupe. Some of those occasions, I was able to get the fish...and get my butt totally kicked in the process. Other times, I lost the fish because I was under gunned.

So I err slightly on the side of caution. I have never had cause to regret that decision.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Wow! Amazing reviews. I'm going to need to take serious look at a few. I'm looking for a 40# multipurpose rod to pair with an Avet MXL Raptor and an 80# Rail rod to pair with an HXW Raptor...
Any model recommendations?

You can get the 40# recommendation here from above posts. I like the CP70HP for 40-50# personally.The 76 Raptor is a great 80# stick...

My .02, your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

nootz

Aug 15, 2011
Oceanside
Name
Bev
Boat
nt
Thanks for the info, Jiim! I'll try out the tilefish jr and see how it feels for me. If it doesn't work out I'll keep the wahoo in mind.

Upvote 0

Cy Bodden

Been there done that
Oct 15, 2013
Escondido, CA
Name
Cy
Boat
on to the next one
Tilefish 80 for YoYo'ing for me and my CE1000 Monster paired with a Tranx for surface iron is ridiculous. One of my 724's will probably end up on here soon. Have yet to wrap CE1000 Del Mar (glow in the Dark) and Ce900 monster. The only problem is not enough blanks in stock.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I prefer the 80 Monster perfect 30/40 lb stick much more so than the Jr, faster tip yet great shut down power, really love these blanks . I even got one for sale in the classifieds. haha

This is also a good call. I have a 70 Monster, and it is a great 30lb stick. Pangamaster said he was looking for a 30lb stick with "attitude," or at least that's how I read it. I've never found a rod that better fits that description than a Wahoo Jr.

Reactions: YellowTail310
Upvote 0

seabass630

Feb 14, 2009
so cal
Name
carlos
Boat
No boat
I bought a UC 90 MEGA at the Fred hall show from squidco, I was having it wraped at Savon tackle, got a phone call today telling me that my Rod was cracked, they had just installed an alps reel seat and a EVA grip, so what now would UC replace the blank?

Thanks

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I bought a UC 90 MEGA at the Fred hall show from squidco, I was having it wraped at Savon tackle, got a phone call today telling me that my Rod was cracked, they had just installed an alps reel seat and a EVA grip, so what now would UC replace the blank?

Thanks
That's the exception for sure and I am positive that they would replace it.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
CK
Boat
BlackJack

Thanks

We will replace it. Call Randy at the factory at 7148987500

CK

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
A few 900 Del Mar blanks were just finished up yesterday in the factory wrap, but they are all spoken for. The demand for these rods has been incredible, so if you want one, it is probably best to be patient. They are really sweet though!

-Connor

Reactions: fishordie
Upvote 0

Uglybones

Take a step to the left.
Jul 13, 2008
Lakeside
Name
Ian
Boat
the big one with 30 other people
A few 900 Del Mar blanks were just finished up yesterday in the factory wrap, but they are all spoken for. The demand for these rods has been incredible, so if you want one, it is probably best to be patient. They are really sweet though!

-Connor
Yep just got a email from Charles saying both the 900 &1000 Del Mars are being manufactured with factory wraps.

Upvote 0

Reverendpdp

Jun 10, 2016
People's Republic of South Florida
Name
D Penton
Boat
Not Yet
I'm liking the Challenger Elite (CE80 Wahoo, 30-60#)
AND
Sidewinder (SW 710H-2J, PE6-8)
What do you think of these blanks for a MH to H spinner loaded with 50 or 65# braid?

It'll teamed up with a Daiwa 5000 Catalina or Quantum Cabo 80, and serve as a multipurpose stick... casting plugs, iron, live bait... for fish up to 50# +/-

Reactions: DesotoBound
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I'm liking the Challenger Elite (CE80 Wahoo, 30-60#)
AND
Sidewinder (SW 710H-2J, PE6-8)
What do you think of these blanks for a MH to H spinner loaded with 50 or 65# braid?

It'll teamed up with a Daiwa 5000 Catalina or Quantum Cabo 80, and serve as a multipurpose stick... casting plugs, iron, live bait... for fish up to 50# +/-

I had Randy wrap a Tilefish for me... I put a Stella 8000 on it with 65# solid spectra
best fish so far a 41# yellow on the surface iron.....rod was super with a 50# fc topshot

Upvote 0