UNITED COMPOSITES RGP REVIEW PART 1.. WOW!!!

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good evening all,

I have spent a great deal of time testing out the amazing new U.C. RGP Factory Wrap and GP Blanks at the shop. Not only have I and Captain Eric K. extensively played with each of the new GP products, but also have been fortunate enough to play with some of the yet un-released versions by U.C. employing this amazing new wrapping process. Just as importantly, I have also had many of our customers weigh in on their thoughts about the rods once I showed them how to maximize the potential of these very potent weapons.. For those who are unfamiliar, when I note the RGP version, I am referring to the Factory wrap model.. When I refer to the GP version it denotes the blanks.

Unlocking the secret of these rods is done by using techniques that bend these rods into their individual power sections to be found by bending into and beyond the reel seat. The majority of the lineup will seem to be a faster taper than their previous RUS and US counterparts but not all... If you take a look at the beautiful new woven mat finish of the rods you will see, once again, the stronger external wrap does not go all the way up to the tip of the blank... Rather, the guys at U.C., using their previous developed patterns and layups, have once again figured out how to get a softer upper/tip section of the blank, same as the US version, to feather into the areas of the new material thru the mid, lower and more powerful sections of the rod.. All this while retaining a small diameter and lighter weight rod. Due to the new wrap material running up to about 18 inches plus or minus from the Tip, the upper section might feel just a bit stiffer on many of the rods. No worries, you still have a small length of tip section that only needs to load up slightly when underhand lobbing or overhand casting a sardine...

Please note, in my opinion, I cannot make a general statement that each rod fishes up 1 or 2 line gauges from the previous iteration of the rod. Rather, each rod version will have it's own unique characteristics based on the original layup and manufacturing processes designed for each rod.. To say these rods are faster taper versions of the previous models, though true in most cases, does not actually do these new rods justice.. Just as importantly, I do not believe these rods will replace all the rods that went before under the CE or US designations, rather these rods will resonate with the many anglers who want and demand more power from their rods, especially for the end game of the fight. Again, technique will matter in order to really find the sweet spots of each of these rods.

Just as importantly, at the end game when you really put the wood to the fish, these rods will certainly expose any weak knots or connections as the power curve ramps up quickly...Though many anglers feel their rods are bottoming out, these rods have much more to go..Be aware of the difference. The ramp up of power, as the angler bends the rod into and thru the reel seat, is very, very fast and non linear. Those last few inches of bend into these lower sections ratchets up the power and recoil quickly, significantly, efficiently and effectively..

Not all rods are created equal.. The new material that U.C. has come up with basically replaces the previous versions of the outer skin of the U.S. wraps. Depending on how each previous iteration of the same name rods, ie mega, Monster, Terminator and Predator were laid up originally, the effect of the new material is very different between those iterations. For example, the effect of this new material on the GP 80 Terminator is very different than the effect on the new GP 80 Predator.. The difference between the GP 76 Predator is very different than the 80 Predator and the GP Monster variations are very different than all the other rods entirely...again due to variations in the layup process the manufacturer has employed to obtain what they believe is the ultimate solution.

The factory rods are now built with both Graphite as well as Alps reel seat options... Please be aware that the Alps reel seat version is more expensive than the graphite seat configuration..Both are great options and will be angler specific... Most folks will love the Alps aluminum seats but do not be afraid of the Graphite seat.. They are both very durable with the graphite being a slight bit lighter... Both balance extremely well with the appropriate reels of your choice... U.C. decided to use the very expensive, very light Alps Titanium guide sets with thinner diameter aft and fore-grips... These components, though much more expensive than other guide sets, are perfectly matched as they apply to these RGP products. Though the retail price of these RGP rods is higher than either the US or CE version, the unique feel of these factory wrap rods will be well worth the added cost for those who can bend these appropriately.. When most anglers pick these up out of the racks, they will know they have something special...

For Long range and tuna guys you have some amazing choices that can interact with the other rods in your quiver.. For local fisherman looking for a light weight power house, these just might be your ticket. The following are, in no particular order my take on the individual factory rods and blanks. Please remember, when I rate the rods for West Coast use, I figure the anglers will be using mono or flouro that break significantly above their rated line tests... If the angler is fishing a tournament line, such as Seaguar Premier, that breaks at or below the line rating, this review might be a bit off.

RGP 76 Predator: I love the U.S. version for a light weight, strong 40 to light 60 pound stick, However, the new RGP version is off the chain great.. This version takes the capability of this rod to a much higher level for either stand up or rail usage...WOW.. Of the heavier string use rods, this one feels the lightest in weight yet performs like a heavier weight rod... Of course it is also 6 inches shorter than it's 8 foot brothers.. The rod is rated 50 - 100#. However, for our west coast use I find this version will really find its home in the strong 50 to strong 60 pound...It can also be used for a light 80 pound technical rod once you get the rod bent into the bottom section. I would say that this version is about 1 -1.5 line gauges higher than the US version.. This rod, matched with a medium framed reel will be amazing for those bigger Blue fin and Lupe Style Yellowfin.. It will also be an amazing bomb and heavier jig rod for fishing Wahoo... Fantastic, wide range of use, rod...

RGP 80 Predator: Though also rated 50 - 100#, in my opinion this rod is going to feel more appropriate for the lower range of the rating.. Although, when fully bent it will fish 60# I find the rod, for me, will be awesome for both light and heavy 50# use-age.. These rods will feel a bit more parabolic to some anglers at least until the rods bends towards the bottom of the stick.. This rod needs to be fully bent to get the most out of it. I would say this rod may be about .5 - 1 higher line rating than its RUS brother but still fishes bait easily and brilliantly due to its softest of series upper section..

RGP 80 Terminator: WOWO..This rod is AWESOME for those of us who want to put the wood to the fish. Though rated 30 to 80#, In my opinion, this rod is going to find its home in the higher ranges of the rating... Like the RUS Terminator, the rod does not fish the way it looks or feels prior to bending...Some anglers first pick up the US version and think it is too fast... The angler really needs to pull on them to see the brilliance of both the US and GP styles. When the RUS Terminator first was offered to the public, I rated it as a great 40# stick based on most 40# lines breaking around 48+ pounds. The new RGP Terminator, though rated slightly lower than the Predators, seems to me like it has the most power of the entire GP series..I would say this rod can easily fish 2 -2.5 line ratings above it's RUS brother. yet stays light and mobile... You may be shocked at the power of this rod.. This is definitely a rod where the user's better fish fighting technique will be rewarded in spades once they get the rod to bend into the lower section of the rod.. Though definitely a Tuna stick this rod will be also be great for throwing Bombs and heavier Jigs to Wahoo.

RGP 80, 85 and 90 Mega: Nothing Short of Phenomenal for lighter wt. artificial lures and bait... Across all the Mega lengths the U.C. guys have nailed a rod that really fishes a wide range of line tests.. Rated 25 to 50 #, I see these as rods that can easily fish 25 -40 and even light 50# with little weakness at any line rating.. All lengths will fish bait or smaller, lighter weight surface iron, jigs, poppers, snipers (Though most anything can throw a sniper) and stick baits BRILLIANTLY... Local fishing or technical, lighter weight long range fishing, these rods will absolutely be fantastic and fun to use... Open face reel or Bait caster will be awesome with these sticks. Again, like all of the GP series, the rods find an extra gear when bending into the lower portion of the rod... Really an amazing performer..

Again, No angler needs to get rid of their previous iterations of rods that they love regardless of the manufacturer... These GP series are going to be rods that anglers want to introduce into their arsenals to fill in previous holes in their quivers... These will also be different than previous rods due to their generally faster taper design and ability to ramp up power beautifully, packaged with smaller diameter grip sections and a wonderful light weight feel. For those who wished their rods had just a bit more oomph near the end of the fight but still want to fish lighter tips, the GP series might just fit those voids... However, for some of the folks who are pulling on them, they are buying multiple rods in the series...

BE AWARE, PURCHASING THESE NEW GP AND RGP RODS MAY TURN INTO AN ADDICTION.. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.. Of course, most all of us are addicted to fishing so Oh Well..

For those who wish to try these AMAZING AND LATEST U.C. rods and blanks for themselves, we have most all of the versions, with both graphite and Alps reel seats in stock at Bob Sands Tackle.... Be Aware, With the great sale we are offering, these items are going fast.. For those who wish to ask more questions you are welcome to PM me and I will provide my Phone number... I am happy to discuss these rods, our sales pricing or any other fishing questions you might have..

Stay Tuned for Part two..

Last edited:

cow man

Tuna addict
Aug 29, 2012
Glide Or. 97443
Name
Jake Waardenburg
Boat
N/A
Badass blanks, picked up some while I was down there last week, wrapping up a terminator right now, I’m impressed by the awesome improvement in shut down power these are going to bring to the game. I agree It feels slightly more powerful than the 80 predator although rated lower . IMO great 50/60# stick, I would fish 60# on it all day long.. another home run by U.C..

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
Walnut, ca
Name
Jonathan c
Boat
one day
Thank you for the write up.

From what I’m reading, you put them in order of power from light to heavy for just Rus and Rgp versions:

US80 mega
GP80 mega
US80 monster
US80 Terminator
*GP80 monster
US76 Predator
US80 Predator
GP80 Predator
GP76 Predator
GP80 terminator

* my guess where they will fall

Please let me know if the interpretation is off.

I have the RGP80 mega along with most of the RUS series rods, just want to know what GP I should get to fill in. The RGP80 mega is a great 30# rod, the power that the US80 mega was missing is reinforced with the GP blanks so I’m really looking forward to more Gp rods filling in.

Thanks,

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hi Joda,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.. I have been swamped with this sale.. Not a bad thing at all.

The short answer, in my opinion, the GP 80 Monster ranks well above the US 80 Predator in power.. But, as always in my writing style, there is way more to consider in answering the question than what appears to be simple. Or you can just stop here... but what fun is that?

The additional answer to your question in my usual non tweet like method.. The power pecking order is always subject to the way each angler pulls on the stick.. When folks come to the shop I show them how to efficiently transfer the energy from the bottoms of their feet, thru their properly postured body and limbs and then into the rod.. This is a great deal different than the old style pump and wind thru 45 degrees, plus or minus, of angle in relation to the deck and body using the back, elbows, shoulder etc. ...The responses, when I show them how I use energy transfer differently and efficiently, than that pump and wind style, are a 99.99 percent WOW, what a difference.. And this is going to make a huge difference when placing the GP series of blanks in some sort of power ranking in relation to any other sticks that went before.... from U.C. or any manufacturer.

Based on the way I and the vast majority of my customers now pull, I would place the GP 80 Monster well ahead of the US 80 Predator but more similar to the Venerable US 80 Tilefish, until the rod is bent towards and into or near the reel seat. At that point the GP Monster powers up much faster with more recoil.. hands down in the power department..When it comes to the new method of small diameter grips and light weight components, the difference of the factory wrap (RGP)in weight of the stick is really noticeable.

The noted US Tilefish is a much faster tapered stick than most any of the rest of the U.C. series prior to the creation of the GP lineup... The transfer of power with a very fast tapered stick, especially when setting a hook with a bunch of line in the water, is significant but not for everyone..

Remember Tilefish, the fish not the rod, are normally fished at deeper depths.. Softer sticks might not be able to set the hook as efficiently as they are taking too much time to put energy into first bending the upper section of the rod and then get into the power section found lower on the rod. Add in the energy transfer down 500 to 1500+ feet and you will see why a faster action is needed for Tilefish. The same applies to any sort of jigging operation near structure or where the angler wants to get that fishes head turned and the hook set, right away when fishing bait or artificial.. The US 80 Tile fish has been an amazing performer for bait and artificial lures but the angler needs to commit to putting the wood to the fish to bend the rod properly right from the get go.

The opposite end of the equation of a faster tapered stick is the angler needs to be ready, at all times, in proper fish fighting position when that line comes tight and or the fish suddenly heads for the hills or violently shakes its head.. The Tilefish is just not that forgiving to those who are bent at the waist, standing on one foot, bent back, shoulders slouched or if their elbows are up or bent...For many in our industry, a somewhat softer feeling rod just feels better.. Thus, we the anglers have choices based on our own tactile feel, fear of pain, more relaxed style or whatever the deciding factors are. Again, for those of us who love the faster action, the US Tilefish 80 has been AWESOME.. .

Now, The new GP 80 Monster, when placed side by side, with the angler in proper posture, compared to the US 80 Predator the GP will feel so much faster and more powerful.. When placed side by side with the 80 Tile fish the GP 80 Monster will feel similar until we get to into the bottom power section at which point the Monster will blow past the Tilefish.. Significantly. Where the Tilefish bottoms out, amazingly, the GP Monster keeps going.. For those who know the difference of bottoming out vs. still got more to go, this will make a huge difference at the end game of the fight..Learning the difference is not hard, someone knowledgeable just needs to show you.

I will be writing another Post about the difference between those who make deals with the fishing lords, praying they do not break their line, pull hooks, break knots, etc. fearing to push the drag lever forward and those who know every one of their connections are great and line is clean.. For those anglers who do not need to make deals with the fish gawds, who will push the drag lever forward at proper times, naturally knowing the end game needs to come sooner than later these rods are for you. Those are the anglers who know that getting that fishes head pointed at the angler ASAP and more often power in a stick and rod employed at the right times, within the confines of the line and connection breakage strength, is a huge asset..How to get to that point mentally, is for another post

Finally, If you are still with me.. I compare buying a rod to owning a car.. I love horsepower... Give me 1000 horse power unless I can get 2000. The problem with high Horsepower is how does the car designer get all that power from the engine, thru the transmission, onto the wheels and then how do we match tires, axels, frame, joints, etc. to actually be able to use all that horsepower efficiently.. each of those details loses efficiency as the power travels thru each.. using this same car example, the driver's body and limbs needs to be prepared for that eventual transfer of power.. Incorrect, neck or body position when those tires grab is a recipe for disaster and physical body damage. For those who understand how to offset the stresses of the event, power is euphoric.

In the end, Our Datsun, Miata, Kia, Lexus, Chevy, ford, etc. are just fine...However, as we get into Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Tesla, And of course the New versions of Corvette, Mopar, Fancy high end sports cars, etc. the customer is paying more money for efficiency... Not always more Horsepower though it may seem that way.

The great news is We anglers do not have to pay anything extra for car engineering and efficiency of transfer of energy. By understanding our own body, limb positions and angles of rod, we simply employ posture and body posture to transfer the energy back and forth, between our feet, body and rod, more efficiently.. And guess what, when using proper position, we do not wear out our joints, muscles and spine nearly as fast with the by product of easily putting more power into the only end that matters... The fish's head and what it feels as far as the true power of the angler's actual pull against their faces as we endeavor to keep that part of the fish pointing towards us. Often times very different than what the angler believes they are applying to the fish.. Again, efficient vs. inefficient transfer of energy.

The rod manufacturers are providing more horsepower now the question is are the anglers able to keep those tires from spinning or energy lost in our body designs, postures and body to rod angle position..Only the individual angler can determine the answer to that question. It is each angler's individual tactile and sensory feel that is the only criteria to what is lousy, good, better and best... No right or wrong answer. However, as the angler learns different techniques, experientially knows their knots and connection are at their peak, these informed anglers might find that what they thought was a powerful rod is now not powerful enough.. No right or wrong answer..

As always, if there are any questions left after this novel length response, you are more than welcome to PM me.

Have a great season.

Jamie

Last edited:

Mr. DRE

Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
Badass blanks, picked up some while I was down there last week, wrapping up a terminator right now, I’m impressed by the awesome improvement in shut down power these are going to bring to the game. I agree It feels slightly more powerful than the 80 predator although rated lower . IMO great 50/60# stick, I would fish 60# on it all day long.. another home run by U.C..

Damn it Jake between you and Jamie either my car is going to get repossessed or the land lord is going to evict me cause lord knows I’m not going to skip a meal.

bobsled

Consumer
May 31, 2012
Los Angeles area
Name
Robert
Boat
N/A
Jamie,

What would you recommend of these new rods for like 40# bait (Penn Torque 15LD2).

Oh, and this thread is useless without pictures. ;)

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good evening Bob, great to hear from you. Lots to discuss on that question. You’re welcome to call me on my cell. hope to chat soon

Jamie

Last edited:

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Thanks Jamie for this Awesome UC RGP80 Terminator!!!

Love the Gimbal and Alps Reel Seat not to mention the Alps Titanium guide!

It is now paired with my Accurate BV2-600N but my Mak 15Tsea likes to marry it too! 😂😂😂

Save me a UC RGP80/85 Mega and I might pick it up tomorrow 😆....RGP/GP had me now addicted before I can fish it lol😂🤣😅

Attachments

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Is there a GP tilefish jr.?
You might just want to ask me about this incredible blank... SSShhhhh please don't tell anyone... Or about an amazing GP 80HP that we just might have a few of at the show.

Last edited:

bob1825

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 11, 2007
San Fernando Valley
Name
Jason
Boat
Anyone the fits my schedule

Pelon0187

Oct 12, 2015
Simi
Name
Sylvester Fuentes
Boat
N/A
Is the GP Tilefish Jr. still a 30# rod or does it get bumped up a line class or two? Thanks!
It gets bumped up a line class. This blank did become faster with addition of GP material.. Tons of power for this light weight blank!!

Reactions: Bob Sands

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
HELLO. No fake news here! The GP80 Tilefish Jr. and GP80 HP do exist and here in the proof!! I am not sure if I can still fish with those guys from United Composites, they might just try to throw me off the boat!!

View attachment 1118799View attachment 1118800
Ohhhh man!!! I have the 7'6 tilefish jr that Jake spun up for me and I love that thing. Gonna have to get this one too. Deep drop species beware!!!

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Jamie,

What would you recommend of these new rods for like 40# bait (Penn Torque 15LD2).

Oh, and this thread is useless without pictures. ;)
Hope this pic will help...but actual visual at FHS is most helpful..😉

Attachments