UNITED COMPOSITES RGP AND GP REVIEW PART 1 OH MY.

The American Tackle Company

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good evening all,

I have spent a great deal of time testing out the amazing new U.C. RGP Factory Wrap and GP Blanks at the shop. Not only have I and Captain Eric K. extensively played with each of the new GP products, but also have been fortunate enough to play with some of the yet un-released versions by U.C. employing this amazing new wrapping process. Just as importantly, I have also had many of our customers weigh in on their thoughts about the rods once I showed them how to maximize the potential of these very potent weapons.. For those who are unfamiliar, when I note the RGP version, I am referring to the Factory wrap model.. When I refer to the GP version it denotes the blanks.

Unlocking the secret of these rods is done by using techniques that bend these rods into their individual power sections to be found by bending into and beyond the reel seat. The majority of the lineup will seem to be a faster taper than their previous RUS and US counterparts but not all... If you take a look at the beautiful new woven mat finish of the rods you will see, once again, the stronger external wrap does not go all the way up to the tip of the blank... Rather, the guys at U.C., using their previous developed patterns and layups, have once again figured out how to get a softer upper/tip section of the blank, same as the US version, to feather into the areas of the new material thru the mid, lower and more powerful sections of the rod.. All this while retaining a small diameter and lighter weight rod. Due to the new wrap material running up to about 18 inches plus or minus from the Tip, the upper section might feel just a bit stiffer on many of the rods. No worries, you still have a small length of tip section that only needs to load up slightly when underhand lobbing or overhand casting a sardine...

Please note, in my opinion, I cannot make a general statement that each rod fishes up 1 or 2 line gauges from the previous iteration of the rod. Rather, each rod version will have it's own unique characteristics based on the original layup and manufacturing processes designed for each rod.. To say these rods are faster taper versions of the previous models, though true in most cases, does not actually do these new rods justice.. Just as importantly, I do not believe these rods will replace all the rods that went before under the CE or US designations, rather these rods will resonate with the many anglers who want and demand more power from their rods, especially for the end game of the fight. Again, technique will matter in order to really find the sweet spots of each of these rods.

Just as importantly, at the end game when you really put the wood to the fish, these rods will certainly expose any weak knots or connections as the power curve ramps up quickly...Though many anglers feel their rods are bottoming out, these rods have much more to go..Be aware of the difference. The ramp up of power, as the angler bends the rod into and thru the reel seat, is very, very fast and non linear. Those last few inches of bend into these lower sections ratchets up the power and recoil quickly, significantly, efficiently and effectively..

Not all rods are created equal.. The new material that U.C. has come up with basically replaces the previous versions of the outer skin of the U.S. wraps. Depending on how each previous iteration of the same name rods, ie mega, Monster, Terminator and Predator were laid up originally, the effect of the new material is very different between those iterations. For example, the effect of this new material on the GP 80 Terminator is very different than the effect on the new GP 80 Predator.. The difference between the GP 76 Predator is very different than the 80 Predator and the GP Monster variations are very different than all the other rods entirely...again due to variations in the layup process the manufacturer has employed to obtain what they believe is the ultimate solution.

The factory rods are now built with both Graphite as well as Alps reel seat options... Please be aware that the Alps reel seat version is more expensive than the graphite seat configuration. Both are great options and will be angler specific... Most folks will love the Alps aluminum seats but do not be afraid of the Graphite seat.. They are both very durable with the graphite being a slight bit lighter... Both balance extremely well with the appropriate reels of your choice... U.C. decided to use the very expensive,
very light weight, Alps Titanium guide sets with thinner diameter aft and fore-grips... These components, though much more expensive than other guide sets, are perfectly matched as they apply to these RGP products. Though the retail price of these RGP rods is higher than either the US or CE version, the unique feel of these factory wrap rods will be well worth the added cost for those who can bend these appropriately.. When most anglers pick these up out of the racks, they will know they have something special...

For Long range and tuna guys you have some amazing choices that can interact with the other rods in your quiver.. For local fishing, especially for those who would like a bit more power in a light weight package, this series may just be the ticket. The following are, in no particular order my take on the individual factory rods and blanks. Please remember, when I rate the rods for West Coast use, I figure the anglers will be using mono or flouro that break significantly above their rated line tests... If the angler is fishing a tournament line, such as Seaguar Premier, that breaks at or below the line rating, this review might be a bit off.

RGP 76 Predator: I love the U.S. version for a light weight, strong 40 to light 60 pound stick, However, the new RGP version is off the chain great.. This version takes the capability of this rod to a much higher level for either stand up or rail usage...WOW.. Of the heavier string use rods, this one feels the lightest in weight yet performs like a heavier weight rod... Of course it is also 6 inches shorter than it's 8 foot brothers.. The rod is rated 50 - 100#. However, for our west coast use I find this version will really find its home in the strong 50 to strong 60 pound...It can also be used for a light 80 pound technical rod once you get the rod bent into the bottom section. I would say that this version is about 1 -1.5 line gauges higher than the US version.. This rod, matched with a medium framed reel will be amazing for those bigger Blue fin and Lupe Style Yellowfin.. It will also be an amazing bomb and heavier jig rod for fishing Wahoo... Fantastic, wide range of use, rod...

RGP 80 Predator: Though also rated 50 - 100#, in my opinion this rod is going to feel more appropriate for the lower range of the rating.. Although, when fully bent it will fish 60# I find the rod, for me, will be awesome for both light and heavy 50# use-age.. These rods will feel a bit more parabolic to some anglers at least until the rods bends towards the bottom of the stick.. This rod needs to be fully bent to get the most out of it. I would say this rod may be about .5 - 1 higher line rating than its RUS brother but still fishes bait easily and brilliantly due to its softest of series upper section..

RGP 80 Terminator: WOWO..This rod is AWESOME for those of us who want to put the wood to the fish. Though rated 30 to 80#, In my opinion, this rod is going to find its home in the higher ranges of the rating... Like the RUS Terminator, the rod does not fish the way it looks or feels prior to bending...Some anglers first pick up the US version and think it is too fast... The angler really needs to pull on them to see the brilliance of both the US and GP styles. When the RUS Terminator first was offered to the public, I rated it as a great 40# stick based on most 40# lines breaking around 48+ pounds. The new RGP Terminator, though rated slightly lower than the Predators, seems to me like it has the most power of the entire GP series..I would say this rod can easily fish 2 -2.5 line ratings above it's RUS brother. yet stays light and mobile... You may be shocked at the power of this rod.. This is definitely a rod where the user's better fish fighting technique will be rewarded in spades once they get the rod to bend into the lower section of the rod.. Though definitely a Tuna stick this rod will be also be great for throwing Bombs and heavier Jigs to Wahoo.

RGP 80, 85 and 90 Mega: Nothing Short of Phenomenal for lighter wt. artificial lures and bait... Across all the Mega lengths the U.C. guys have nailed a rod that really fishes a wide range of line tests.. Rated 20 to 50 #, I see these as rods that can easily fish 20 -40 # with little weakness at any line rating.. All lengths will fish bait or smaller, lighter weight surface iron, jigs, poppers, snipers (Though most anything can throw a sniper) and stick baits BRILLIANTLY... Local fishing or technical, lighter weight long range fishing, these rods will absolutely be fantastic and fun to use... Open face reel or Bait caster will be awesome with these sticks. Again, like all of the GP series, the rods find an extra gear when bending into the lower portion of the rod... Really an amazing performer..

Again, No angler needs to get rid of their previous iterations of rods that they love regardless of the manufacturer... These GP series are going to be rods that anglers want to introduce into their arsenals to fill in previous holes in their quivers... These will also be different than previous rods due to their generally faster taper design and ability to ramp up power beautifully, packaged with smaller diameter grip sections and a wonderful light weight feel. For those who wished their rods had just a bit more oomph near the end of the fight but still want to fish lighter tips, the GP series might just fit those voids... However, for some of the folks who are pulling on them, they are buying multiple rods in the series...

BE AWARE, PURCHASING THESE NEW GP AND RGP RODS MAY TURN INTO AN ADDICTION.. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.. Of course, most all of us are addicted to fishing so Oh Well..

For those who wish to try these AMAZING AND LASTEST U.C. rods and blanks for themselves, we have most all of the versions, with both graphite and Alps reel seats in stock at Bob Sands Tackle.... Be Aware, With the great sale we are offering, these items are going fast.. For those who wish to ask more questions you are welcome to PM me and I will provide my Phone number... I am happy to discuss these rods, our sales pricing or any other fishing questions you might have..

Stay Tuned for Part two..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Thank You CW...It was a pleasure discussing these amazing rods with you.. Always great to chat.

Jamie

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Broke is nothing more than a state of mind over wallet...Buy fishing rods, You mind is free but your wallet, well, lets just say Wallets are way over rated.. By the Way, this sale is beyond anything anyone has ever heard of..

f you are interested in Purchasing, Please PM me with your full name, phone number, Billing address, the item you wish to purchase plus if you would like to pick up at the store, show or have it shipped.

Please add tax and shipping if required to all prices..

Thank you so much for considering Bob Sands Tackle for your fishing tackle needs.

Respectfully,

Jamiie

Upvote 0

rcjoutdoors

Dew werk!
Feb 11, 2020
Sunrise
Name
Richie Corrillo
Boat
Proline
Broke is nothing more than a state of mind over wallet...Buy fishing rods, You mind is free but your wallet, well, lets just say Wallets are way over rated.. By the Way, this sale is beyond anything anyone has ever heard of..

f you are interested in Purchasing, Please PM me with your full name, phone number, Billing address, the item you wish to purchase plus if you would like to pick up at the store, show or have it shipped.

Please add tax and shipping if required to all prices..

Thank you so much for considering Bob Sands Tackle for your fishing tackle needs.

Respectfully,

Jamiie
I like your style :cheers:

Reactions: Bob Sands
Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Sportboats
Good evening all,

I have spent a great deal of time testing out the amazing new U.C. RGP Factory Wrap and GP Blanks at the shop. Not only have I and Captain Eric K. extensively played with each of the new GP products, but also have been fortunate enough to play with some of the yet un-released versions by U.C. employing this amazing new wrapping process. Just as importantly, I have also had many of our customers weigh in on their thoughts about the rods once I showed them how to maximize the potential of these very potent weapons.. For those who are unfamiliar, when I note the RGP version, I am referring to the Factory wrap model.. When I refer to the GP version it denotes the blanks.

Unlocking the secret of these rods is done by using techniques that bend these rods into their individual power sections to be found by bending into and beyond the reel seat. The majority of the lineup will seem to be a faster taper than their previous RUS and US counterparts but not all... If you take a look at the beautiful new woven mat finish of the rods you will see, once again, the stronger external wrap does not go all the way up to the tip of the blank... Rather, the guys at U.C., using their previous developed patterns and layups, have once again figured out how to get a softer upper/tip section of the blank, same as the US version, to feather into the areas of the new material thru the mid, lower and more powerful sections of the rod.. All this while retaining a small diameter and lighter weight rod. Due to the new wrap material running up to about 18 inches plus or minus from the Tip, the upper section might feel just a bit stiffer on many of the rods. No worries, you still have a small length of tip section that only needs to load up slightly when underhand lobbing or overhand casting a sardine...

Please note, in my opinion, I cannot make a general statement that each rod fishes up 1 or 2 line gauges from the previous iteration of the rod. Rather, each rod version will have it's own unique characteristics based on the original layup and manufacturing processes designed for each rod.. To say these rods are faster taper versions of the previous models, though true in most cases, does not actually do these new rods justice.. Just as importantly, I do not believe these rods will replace all the rods that went before under the CE or US designations, rather these rods will resonate with the many anglers who want and demand more power from their rods, especially for the end game of the fight. Again, technique will matter in order to really find the sweet spots of each of these rods.

Just as importantly, at the end game when you really put the wood to the fish, these rods will certainly expose any weak knots or connections as the power curve ramps up quickly...Though many anglers feel their rods are bottoming out, these rods have much more to go..Be aware of the difference. The ramp up of power, as the angler bends the rod into and thru the reel seat, is very, very fast and non linear. Those last few inches of bend into these lower sections ratchets up the power and recoil quickly, significantly, efficiently and effectively..

Not all rods are created equal.. The new material that U.C. has come up with basically replaces the previous versions of the outer skin of the U.S. wraps. Depending on how each previous iteration of the same name rods, ie mega, Monster, Terminator and Predator were laid up originally, the effect of the new material is very different between those iterations. For example, the effect of this new material on the GP 80 Terminator is very different than the effect on the new GP 80 Predator.. The difference between the GP 76 Predator is very different than the 80 Predator and the GP Monster variations are very different than all the other rods entirely...again due to variations in the layup process the manufacturer has employed to obtain what they believe is the ultimate solution.

The factory rods are now built with both Graphite as well as Alps reel seat options... Please be aware that the Alps reel seat version is more expensive than the graphite seat configuration. Both are great options and will be angler specific... Most folks will love the Alps aluminum seats but do not be afraid of the Graphite seat.. They are both very durable with the graphite being a slight bit lighter... Both balance extremely well with the appropriate reels of your choice... U.C. decided to use the very expensive,
very light weight, Alps Titanium guide sets with thinner diameter aft and fore-grips... These components, though much more expensive than other guide sets, are perfectly matched as they apply to these RGP products. Though the retail price of these RGP rods is higher than either the US or CE version, the unique feel of these factory wrap rods will be well worth the added cost for those who can bend these appropriately.. When most anglers pick these up out of the racks, they will know they have something special...

For Long range and tuna guys you have some amazing choices that can interact with the other rods in your quiver.. For local fishing, especially for those who would like a bit more power in a light weight package, this series may just be the ticket. The following are, in no particular order my take on the individual factory rods and blanks. Please remember, when I rate the rods for West Coast use, I figure the anglers will be using mono or flouro that break significantly above their rated line tests... If the angler is fishing a tournament line, such as Seaguar Premier, that breaks at or below the line rating, this review might be a bit off.

RGP 76 Predator: I love the U.S. version for a light weight, strong 40 to light 60 pound stick, However, the new RGP version is off the chain great.. This version takes the capability of this rod to a much higher level for either stand up or rail usage...WOW.. Of the heavier string use rods, this one feels the lightest in weight yet performs like a heavier weight rod... Of course it is also 6 inches shorter than it's 8 foot brothers.. The rod is rated 50 - 100#. However, for our west coast use I find this version will really find its home in the strong 50 to strong 60 pound...It can also be used for a light 80 pound technical rod once you get the rod bent into the bottom section. I would say that this version is about 1 -1.5 line gauges higher than the US version.. This rod, matched with a medium framed reel will be amazing for those bigger Blue fin and Lupe Style Yellowfin.. It will also be an amazing bomb and heavier jig rod for fishing Wahoo... Fantastic, wide range of use, rod...

RGP 80 Predator: Though also rated 50 - 100#, in my opinion this rod is going to feel more appropriate for the lower range of the rating.. Although, when fully bent it will fish 60# I find the rod, for me, will be awesome for both light and heavy 50# use-age.. These rods will feel a bit more parabolic to some anglers at least until the rods bends towards the bottom of the stick.. This rod needs to be fully bent to get the most out of it. I would say this rod may be about .5 - 1 higher line rating than its RUS brother but still fishes bait easily and brilliantly due to its softest of series upper section..

RGP 80 Terminator: WOWO..This rod is AWESOME for those of us who want to put the wood to the fish. Though rated 30 to 80#, In my opinion, this rod is going to find its home in the higher ranges of the rating... Like the RUS Terminator, the rod does not fish the way it looks or feels prior to bending...Some anglers first pick up the US version and think it is too fast... The angler really needs to pull on them to see the brilliance of both the US and GP styles. When the RUS Terminator first was offered to the public, I rated it as a great 40# stick based on most 40# lines breaking around 48+ pounds. The new RGP Terminator, though rated slightly lower than the Predators, seems to me like it has the most power of the entire GP series..I would say this rod can easily fish 2 -2.5 line ratings above it's RUS brother. yet stays light and mobile... You may be shocked at the power of this rod.. This is definitely a rod where the user's better fish fighting technique will be rewarded in spades once they get the rod to bend into the lower section of the rod.. Though definitely a Tuna stick this rod will be also be great for throwing Bombs and heavier Jigs to Wahoo.

RGP 80, 85 and 90 Mega: Nothing Short of Phenomenal for lighter wt. artificial lures and bait... Across all the Mega lengths the U.C. guys have nailed a rod that really fishes a wide range of line tests.. Rated 20 to 50 #, I see these as rods that can easily fish 20 -40 # with little weakness at any line rating.. All lengths will fish bait or smaller, lighter weight surface iron, jigs, poppers, snipers (Though most anything can throw a sniper) and stick baits BRILLIANTLY... Local fishing or technical, lighter weight long range fishing, these rods will absolutely be fantastic and fun to use... Open face reel or Bait caster will be awesome with these sticks. Again, like all of the GP series, the rods find an extra gear when bending into the lower portion of the rod... Really an amazing performer..

Again, No angler needs to get rid of their previous iterations of rods that they love regardless of the manufacturer... These GP series are going to be rods that anglers want to introduce into their arsenals to fill in previous holes in their quivers... These will also be different than previous rods due to their generally faster taper design and ability to ramp up power beautifully, packaged with smaller diameter grip sections and a wonderful light weight feel. For those who wished their rods had just a bit more oomph near the end of the fight but still want to fish lighter tips, the GP series might just fit those voids... However, for some of the folks who are pulling on them, they are buying multiple rods in the series...

BE AWARE, PURCHASING THESE NEW GP AND RGP RODS MAY TURN INTO AN ADDICTION.. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.. Of course, most all of us are addicted to fishing so Oh Well..

For those who wish to try these AMAZING AND LASTEST U.C. rods and blanks for themselves, we have most all of the versions, with both graphite and Alps reel seats in stock at Bob Sands Tackle.... Be Aware, With the great sale we are offering, these items are going fast.. For those who wish to ask more questions you are welcome to PM me and I will provide my Phone number... I am happy to discuss these rods, our sales pricing or any other fishing questions you might have..

Stay Tuned for Part two..

Great review Jamie. I have a question about the US and GP Predators. Usually the longer the rod the more backbone but in your opinion that’s not the case with the 80 predator vs the 76 predator? Can you elaborate why that is? Thank you

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good morning J.T.

An excellent question... Even though the two rods share the same moniker, I believe the 76 and 80 Predators come from different layup processes... Both on the U.S. and GP versions... Both rods are great performers but very different in their bend patterns..

As a note, I do need to find time to write up some of the other rods and blanks in the GP line up.. So many amazing options for those who love the feeling of power in such a light weight package. I highly recommend the 8 foot GP and RGP 80Monster for those looking at an amazingly powerful 40 - 50 pound stick that feels super nimble in the hands..

Have a great season.

Jamie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Living in Arizona I do not have the any way to check out blanks. UC makes so many different blanks it is confusion. Consequently I usually stick with Calstar because I know them when I build rods

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Living in Arizona I do not have the any way to check out blanks. UC makes so many different blanks it is confusion. Consequently I usually stick with Calstar because I know them when I build rods
Calstar makes a lot of blanks as well and has thier own unique and somewhat confusing nomenclature for thier different series. None of that is really on their website either. I appreciate that at least UC keeps their site to date and gives a description of each series.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Calstar makes a lot of blanks as well and has thier own unique and somewhat confusing nomenclature for thier different series. None of that is really on their website either. I appreciate that at least UC keeps their site to date and gives a description of each series.

+1. However, I also wish they would fix the typos in the blank/rod specs. Apparently they know about the errors but haven't corrected anything despite updating their website (a couple of months ago?).

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    Good morning J.T.

An excellent question... Even though the two rods share the same moniker, I believe the 76 and 80 Predators come from different layup processes... Both on the U.S. and GP versions... Both rods are great performers but very different in their bend patterns..

As a note, I do need to find time to write up some of the other rods and blanks in the GP line up.. So many amazing options for those who love the feeling of power in such a light weight package. I highly recommend the 8 foot GP and RGP 80Monster for those looking at an amazingly powerful 40 - 50 pound stick that feels super nimble in the hands..

Have a great season.

Jamie

Yes we would like To hear your thoughts on the rest of the GP/RGP lineup when you get time. Thanks

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None

Jamie,

Would love a comparison of the CX80Raptor to the GP80Predator and GP80Terminator. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Hi PW and JT,

I will be writing up some more thoughts on the RGP series based on our last 10 day charter on the Excel... I will post that sometime in the future. However, in short, RGP and GP series of 7'6 thru 9 footers are off the chain amazing.. Now to answer your question.

The CX80 Raptor, since before it became available on the market, has been one of the best selling blanks/custom rods we have ever sold... From the moment I pulled on the prototype I knew these the CX 80 Raptor would be special. The responses from the many, many anglers who purchased and then used these tools have been overwhelmingly positive. Most have considered these rods as their "go to" for places like the Lupe, Rocks, etc. for fishing top water, mid water or even bottom critters. Those who own one and love them will be using them for many years to come as nothing new will make them obsolete. However, there are now additional options... And options are always good.

Before I start, I have to reiterate again, when testing rods, in my opinion, the angle of the rod in relation to the deck/angler will make a huge difference when getting the most out of not only the RGP series but any rod an angler chooses to employ.. Body stance and geometry will make a huge difference on getting any rod to bend more efficiently. With the thousands of fishing folks that come to the shop or shows for a believe it or not example of what I am talking about, I almost never get a response other than words from those customers to the effect of "Holy Mackerel"... "I get it now"... "Why has nobody shown us this before?".

Properly Using the body and physical geometries of the body to efficiently transfer the energy thru the rod and into the bottoms of the feet, needs to be felt to be believed... I always find it fascinating that most every other sport have individual coaches whose job is to help improve all levels of participants more on a one on one as well as a team environment but not really so in fishing... One has to ask why does posture, technique, physics, geometry, weight transfer, stance, arm/wrist travel, etc. effect performance in most every other sport?? Why then do we fishermen not focus on this aspect of the game?? There really is no reason except for old fishermen with lots to teach used to be crotchety on a good day. Many still are and that is a shame as teaching others is such a joy to some of us. And I still learn from others on most every trip I take.

With that said, In my opinion based on testing and confirmed by actual use the RGP/GP 80 Terminator has roughly the same power as the CX 80 Raptor in a much lighter package.. (In my future write up I can tell you I am in love with this rod/rig when matched to a Torque 40 LD2 with 80 Pound Spectra). There might be a very, very tiny edge in power to the CX 80 Raptor but it would be very slight if at all. Though both the 76 and 80 versions of the Predator are rated by the factory at a higher base line rating there is no doubt in my mind and those I show the rods to that the GP/RGP 80 Terminator is at the top power end of this amazing series. Having done many side by side comparisons with the CX 80 Raptor, the Terminator is very, very similar as it applies to the power side of things..The RGP 76 Predator comes in next and then the 80 Predator.. each with different tip and mid body actions. However, all of the RGP series are nothing short of amazing..

My 76 and 80 RGP Predators are Awesome but, as I noted in my original write up of the series, are a step lower in power than the terminator... None the less, the 76 GP or RGP Predator is a magnificent and powerful rod due to the ease of use and power to weight ratio.. In my opinion the 76 is very different from the 80 version which is still a magnificent rod. Check out the difference in tip actions and mid rod power up as well between the variations.

ONE OTHER NOTE: I have been fishing the Fuji graphite reel seats for many, many years with up to 40 pounds of true drag on my spinners on giant tuna.. I have used these seats on a variety of rods using a variety of drag setting on a myriad of finned species.. After all these years I have yet to damage one... And I have put them thru hell. The choice of reel seat should not be based on the fear the Graphite seat will not hold up rather the choice should be made based on how the rods feel in each angler's hands or perhaps the visual appeal with each the different seat options.. Very much a personal choice with no right or wrong answer.

Bob Sands Tackle(Robbie) builds and has built all of my custom rods. On the entire line up of U.C. RGP products we sell roughly an equal number of Alps reel seats and Fuji seats. No right or wrong answers on this one.. For me, I have a very storied and very personal version of the Factory Terminator with an Alps seat while I chose the Fuji Seat for my custom GP 76 Predator, GP Reapers and GP 90 Mega in spinning and conventional as well as other version of the RGP and GP series. I put them all thru the torture test on my last trip and Maaaaan they are beyond awesome. Again. I will write up my opinion of more of the RGP and GP series soon based on the results of our 10 day Excel/Gallagher 10 day trip report.. If I ever find the time or stop being lazy..

P.S. folks might just be interested in how the GP 900 Reaper performed as a spinner, using various spinning reels and conventional versions by many of our passengers using a Tranx 500 high speed.. Lets just say that the top Wahoo folks on our trip were throwing these set ups using... Drum Roll please... Wahoo bombs.. Yes, it turns out 5 ounce lures can be thrown on this rig. Shocked the heck out of a lot of folks..Including me. Oh My... Not to mention how these sticks throw surface iron, poppers, stick baits, live bait, or sub surface stuff... WOWOWOWO.. There has simply never been a jig rod like the Reaper that appeals to so many various experience levels of anglers. The shear number of sales and back orders of this product is un-precedented..

Hope that helps.

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Having done many side by side comparisons with the CX 80 Raptor, the Terminator is very, very similar as it applies to the power side of things..The RGP 76 Predator comes in next and then the 80 Predator.. each with different tip and mid body actions.
    As you describe it, the Terminator and Raptor appear to be honest substitutes for one another. Decisions, decisions....

In your opinion, does the CX80 Raptor have a softer tip vs the GP80 Terminator? Maybe slightly slower as well?

I recall not being a fan of the Terminator as it was too "tight" in upper 1/3 of the blank for my taste. Didn't spend a lot of time examining the blank so perhaps my impression is false?

Thanks for the quick response, Jamie. Helpful as always!

PS - does anyone know the weight of the 80Raptor and 76Centaur blanks?

Reactions: Jjt03
    Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Hi PW and Jjt,

Sorry for the delay in the answer as I have been fly fishing in Mexico the last week and a half or so.

The upper section of the CX 80 Raptor is softer than the GP/RGP Terminator and blends into a powerful mid and lower section.. The noted Terminator is a super powerful tool from top to bottom.. Setting the hook on heavier artificial lures to anything laying in wait on the bottom using a drop jig or hooked bait is AMAZING. I hooked tuna to 45 pounds on the jigs (JRI 6 and JRI 66) and it was effortless to bring fish to the boat. I also easily brought up an even bigger yellowtail on a JRI 6 Brass jig, but lost it just prior to gaff due to my not changing top shots after a ton of fish on my 60 pound leader. Oh well, we never lose small ones. Throwing 5 OZ Bombs to Wahoo is effortless with either rod. For those looking to fish these sticks as live bait rods to bigger fish at the Lupe, Rocks or ?? you cannot go wrong with either the CX or RGP...Now it comes down to personal taste and feel.. Personally I just cannot get over the light weight feel of the Factory built RGP rods using Titanium guides and small diameter grips.. Fantastic..

In short...I have loved my CX custom 80 Raptors and now I love, Love, LOVE this RGP Terminator rod when matched with the Torque 40 2 speed, 80 pound spectra and 60 - 80 pound top shots. Talk about giving the angler an unfair advantage when used correctly....But I am very, very happy with that edge. I imagine the fish that I released or kept may not agree with that assessment.

I plan on writing up my on the water experiences with many of the RGP and GP custom series that I put through their paces... Including a spinner version and conventional version of the Reaper... At this time I can only say WOWOWOWO!!! These GP/RGP series of rods have all met or exceeded my expectations when used on the water with some very nice sized fish though no giants on these rods.

The weights of the blanks as noted in the 2020 U.C. catalogue are :
    CX 80 Raptor 16 Ounce
    CX 76 Centaur 15.70 Ounce
    GP 80 Terminator 9.10 Ounce

As I have noted in my previous report on the GP series, the weight to power ratios are staggering, which tells you a bit about the process and materials used on these amazing sticks.

Hope that helps. Of course you are always welcome to PM with any additional questions if that is of interest to you.

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    The upper section of the CX 80 Raptor is softer than the GP/RGP Terminator and blends into a powerful mid and lower section.. The noted Terminator is a super powerful tool from top to bottom.. Setting the hook on heavier artificial lures to anything laying in wait on the bottom using a drop jig or hooked bait is AMAZING.

Now it comes down to personal taste and feel.. Personally I just cannot get over the light weight feel of the Factory built RGP rods using Titanium guides and small diameter grips.. Fantastic..

Hi Jamie, appreciate the thoughtful response, as always. Hope the fishing's been good for you in MX.

What you wrote pretty much sums up what I was theorizing. As tempting as the Terminator's power/weight ratio is, I think the Raptor is more of what I'm looking for and will be a a better fit for me as the next step-up from the GP80Predator.

Still a soft tip, but don't have to dig as deep into the butt as the section before the power comes on. Built identically, the overall balance should be a bit more to my liking as well when paired with a 12VISX, IMHO. Like you said, it's all personal taste and feel.

P.S. - Any idea how/why Randy comes up with the GP line ratings?

Upvote 0

Jjt03

https://youtu.be/GJEtyY3PGZ8
    Sep 12, 2015
    california
    youtu.be
    Name
    Jj
    Boat
    none
    Jaime,

Thank you! The terminator coupled with your lessons on fish fighting technique is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you again for the valuable information.

Jay

Upvote 0

shooter21

Aug 30, 2014
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Shane
    Boat
    Someday
    Hi Jamie, appreciate the thoughtful response, as always. Hope the fishing's been good for you in MX.

What you wrote pretty much sums up what I was theorizing. As tempting as the Terminator's power/weight ratio is, I think the Raptor is more of what I'm looking for and will be a a better fit for me as the next step-up from the GP80Predator.

Still a soft tip, but don't have to dig as deep into the butt as the section before the power comes on. Built identically, the overall balance should be a bit more to my liking as well when paired with a 12VISX, IMHO. Like you said, it's all personal taste and feel.

P.S. - Any idea how/why Randy comes up with the GP line ratings?
    If your looking for a round about answer for the gp 80 terminator vs gp 80 predator is the predator has quite a bit more material, but with a moderate action makes it feel less than. To really get all of the rating you need to bend the rod deep to get into that material.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    If your looking for a round about answer for the gp 80 terminator vs gp 80 predator is the predator has quite a bit more material, but with a moderate action makes it feel less than. To really get all of the rating you need to bend the rod deep to get into that material.
    The soft tip and bendo is what I love about the GP80Predator. Makes it very versatile and feels great throwing just about anything.

Didn't know about the Predator having more material. Thanks for sharing that bit of info!