United Composites GP80's, there has been a sighting..

RockHopperNCKA

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
Went back and looked at the RGP Predator 50-100 and the RGP Terminator 30-80 (I think). Wasn’t ready to pull the trigger on either.

The terminator seems like it has a slightly more parabolic bend to it. The Predator seems to have the lighter tip but may be more powerful once the bend gets into the lower 2/3.

I still have a hard time getting past the fact the Predator is a 50-100 rod without an Alps reel seat. That concerns me a little bit. I don’t use a reel seat lock on my rods. Would hate to have a nice reel ripped off the rod. As strong and effective those Fuji reel seats are, they’re still kind of thin and light.

Hmmmm. Those rods are now about $70 or $80 more expensive than they were at the show, too. That hurts!!!

Have you seen some of the monsters caught on Black Hole 801H rods? They have Fuji reel seats.

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Guess I’m just doing my due diligence on those rods.

I have the blue 8’ Predator. I want something that’s a bit of a step up in power from that rod that I still can leverage on the rail for at least #60 and light #80.

So another concern I have is the light tip on the RGP #50-100 Predator. It slightly reminds me of the Calstar 800XXH I had for a while. I wasn’t able to leverage a nice 150+ pound Bluefin using the rail at all. The tip and upper 1/2 was just too light and the rod just totally bottomed out the whole time.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Guess I’m just doing my due diligence on those rods.

I have the blue 8’ Predator. I want something that’s a bit of a step up in power from that rod that I still can leverage on the rail for at least #60 and light #80.

So another concern I have is the light tip on the RGP #50-100 Predator. It slightly reminds me of the Calstar 800XXH I had for a while. I wasn’t able to leverage a nice 150+ pound Bluefin using the rail at all. The tip and upper 1/2 was just too light and the rod just totally bottomed out the whole time.
Have you pulled on a 76 Centaur? I have the 80 Predator as well and love the Centaur’s action

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
I have the GUSA Predator and it works really nice for me, using it as a 50/ 60, I also have the Centaur set up with a 16 Sea, for my 80-100 ..definitely more stick, I really don’t notice weight while fishing it.

Reactions: terryc.

SD32J

Cattle Boat Newb & Weekend Warrior
Jun 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Jonathan
Boat
Weekend Warrior
I have a Tac 20ii . Is the GP80 Predator to light for this rod . The 20ii for me is a 80-100# reel. Is the GP80 meant to fish let’s just say #80

shooter21

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 30, 2014
Bakersfield
Name
Shane
Boat
Someday
The GP 80 Predator is rated 50-100#, i believe you can fish 80# on it. I dont think you can pull hard enough to bottom it out. Now if you lay it on the rail thats a different story, they do not have cold srink to protect the blank to lay on the rail.

Reactions: CommanderPinhead

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Stay Tuned for more info on these RGP Rods and GP blanks... We have many of the various items at the shop. For those who would like to compare them to all the other rods or blanks from most all the manufacturers come on by.. I will be writing up a review of my favorite RGP/GP rods and blanks soon.. As a note, these are a different breed of cat that anglers looking for a new rod should check out before making their choices.

Like most high end rods, an Angler's fish fighting technique, posture and angle of rod will determine just how much power and efficiency they will get out of the rod.. You are welcome to PM me with questions and special pricing for BD members..

Have a great season.

Jamie

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Looks like by popular demand, Alps reel seat will be available as an option!!
Yes, And we have them in stock in the Alps versions... I am just getting ready to write up my review of the RGP and GP Rods and blanks... These will go fast so get them while you can...You are welcome to PM me if you have questions..

Jamie

Reactions: Pelon0187

Pelon0187

Oct 12, 2015
Simi
Name
Sylvester Fuentes
Boat
N/A
Who's fishing the Mega in this series? for what class and paired with? and how would you compare it
My buddy was fishing the GP80 Mega proto type for bluefin tuna upto 35lb with 40lb line and was killing it!! Rating is 25-50 for Mega which is similar in rating to a Calstar Graphiter 800 MH. Theses are not the same.

rdrblck66

Sep 25, 2012
Riverside ca
Name
Greg
Boat
Shogun and RP
Just ordered my RGP Terminator!! Cant wait to get it. Going to put a Penn Torque 40nld2(silver) on it. OH BABY!

Reactions: coastalwerks

shooter21

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 30, 2014
Bakersfield
Name
Shane
Boat
Someday
I was planning in getting a regular US80 Mega for 30#. Better off to get the GP?
The GP mega will have the same tip as the US mega with a slightly fast action and more power. Should handle 30#-40# work with no problem.

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Take a look at my write up on the RGP and GP Rods and Blanks.. These Megas are AWESOME for use in the 30 - 40 pound range... Super light weight, easy to use for so many applications from Bait to lighter irons.

I just got off the lake with some of the U.C. guys throwing and testing GP 9 Footers.. Holy smokes.. Stay tuned for the write up.. All I will say now is you 9 Foot stick lovers are going to be smiling from ear to ear when you throw these...

Jamie

Pelon0187

Oct 12, 2015
Simi
Name
Sylvester Fuentes
Boat
N/A
I was planning in getting a regular US80 Mega for 30#. Better off to get the GP?
The GP
Take a look at my write up on the RGP and GP Rods and Blanks.. These Megas are AWESOME for use in the 30 - 40 pound range... Super light weight, easy to use for so many applications from Bait to lighter irons.

I just got off the lake with some of the U.C. guys throwing and testing GP 9 Footers.. Holy smokes.. Stay tuned for the write up.. All I will say now is you 9 Foot stick lovers are going to be smiling from ear to ear when you throw these...

Jamie
That's cool! I would love to do something like that! Sounds like product testing!! I can't wait for your next write up on these rods/blanks..