UNITED COMPOSITES GP 900 REAPER... BEYOND AMAZING!!! IT'S ALIVE!! AND READY FOR ACTION

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good evening All,

This sale and getting the shop ready for the show has been kicking all of our butts at BOB SANDS TACKLE..In truth, I am whooped.. but felt it is important to get out some more reviews of this latest design and newest product released from the folks at United Composites. Hopefully, the review does justice to this amazing new product and is not too rambling.

The U.C. GP 900 Reaper in no longer a fairy tale told to fishermen to torment them in the middle of the night.. This Jig slinging machine, that can also fish bait, is real and ready... I hope you all read the post by Pelon0187 regarding his take on the GP 900 Reaper. His was the more compact review of our great time at the lake..of course it included pictures of his Large Mouth Bass he caught while we were testing the rods. AWESOME as it was the very first fish ever caught on the Reaper!!

Sly, John and I were the first to have the pleasure of testing out this production version of the blank on my favorite lake.. The short story is You guys need to PM me to get on our Reaper Blank, next run, Waiting list ASAP.. FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. The GP 900 Reaper will only be available for sale in a blank until further notice. No doubt this blank will be super limited and sell out immediately as it comes in possibly prior to and thru the show. Our first large allotment, received yesterday, Sunday, sold out immediately.. We should have more arriving shortly. PM me for further information. Now for the longer story:

This Reaper rod is designated with the GP moniker as U.C. employs their amazing new and visually stunning, outer strength layer of mat used to enhance the performance and recoil potential of the blank. However that is where the similarities with the other phenomenal GP products end.. All the other GP products to date basically use the same layup techniques of their US version name-sake predecessors with the outside wrap replaced with the new material.. This results in an amazing increase in recoil power for those who love such things... LIKE ME.. I love a rod that has a wide range of power. As you may find, the new name "Reaper" does not appear in the U.C. Catalogue under the US or CE versions.. Rather this is an entirely new approach and design specific to casting surface iron and similar weighted top water artificial lures with 40 - 50 pound test string. The additional benefit of the design is that it really will fish bait beautifully, with or without lead..

The differing feature of the Reaper, from similar purpose GP and US blanks is that the Reaper blends the under layers, with the new outer layer material and then adds a surprising material exposed at the upper section of the blank.. I know what this core material is but I will not tell.. I will leave the telling of the story to the guys at United Composites should they wish to open up..(Hint, if you stop by the UC booth at the show I do not doubt they will tell you) Just know, the blend of a variety of materials, yielding the latest version of the design, is the result of hours and hours of on the water casting and comparison testing of various versions of the blanks, layups and materials. Super casters were invited to give their input on the differing prototypes.. I believe the final design approval by this group of elite level fishermen was nearly unanimous amongst the crowd as they compared this new Reaper prototypes to their previous favorite jig slinging sticks. And thus, the final decision as to what the final version of United Composites offering of the ultimate surface iron stick for the noted jigs was made..

The 3 of us arranged to meet so that we could compare the new Reaper to our current favorites.. We allotted 3 hours to just testing, mixing and matching reels, jigs and rods.. We had so much fun with the new GP sticks that we only got thru a few of the items.. The great thing about the 3 of us is that each of us can cast yet each has their own casting style, gets different distances when bombing casts, are different ages and represent a wide variety of anglers who will be considering purchasing these amazing new sticks...

We brought a wide variety of manufacturer's jigs but received a great surprise when casting a YoZuri Bull Sashimi popper.. This is a 6 inch, 2.5 oz. popper that I had added a large Tuna J hook to so it probably went about 2.7 - 2.9 oz.. When Sly cast this popper several times, it actually out threw most every other Surface iron... To say the 3 of us were Pleasantly surprised at how easy and how far this rod threw the popper with minimal effort would be a massive understatement.

Like the Elite Casters that tested the various prototypes we all were in agreement as to the joy this production version of the rod yielded when fishing 2.7 Ounce to just under 4.5 Ounce surface irons. JRI 4's, Salas 7X, Tady 45's, JRI 3, 7 Stinger Lite and other manufacturer's target weight jigs all felt amazing when casting the Reaper especially when we used a compact, unforced, smooth and easy casting style.. By not needing to drive the cast hard the majority of anglers will be able to spend a great deal more time at the rail throwing artificial lures and still getting very good distance without having to push so hard or get exhausted.. For those more advanced anglers, who want to really load up and drive their cast, this rod will shine even brighter. Remember, as in all sports, Properly practiced Technique matters..

We did throw jigs like the Tady C and similar weight jigs on the Reaper but felt the angler needed a good deal more power in their stroke to make it fly..No worries, stay tuned for my review of the GP 90 Mega.. A true marvel for this use..... amongst other very wide range of uses..

This rod casts brilliantly with most any appropriate 40 - 50 pound test reel that feels best in the specific angler's hands.. For our casting session, Sly loved his Saltiga 35, I believe John loved his Trinidad 20 and though I did not get a chance to throw my Tranx 500 on this particular rod, the Tranx 500 will be my choice when it comes to targeting Yellowtail and Tuna of most sizes when throwing everything from top to mid water artificial lures.

The weight of the surface irons I am referring to above is what we considered the "Sweet Spot" when fishing surface iron and poppers for this rod.. No doubt, The Reaper will have a much larger range of use.. depending on other applications. The great thing about our session was that not only did the each caster discuss his tactile feel thru each of his casts, the other 2 of us, not casting, could watch to see how deep the load up of the rod appeared as well as the smoothness of the blend along the stick as the two men out watched and conferred with the caster from the side .

Note: Every Angler has their own personal feel as applies to their favorite rigs.. Surface iron casters have their own specific needs and wants which can be really anal in their demands. The Reaper 900 will pair brilliantly with other Rods in the line up be it the wonderful CE 900 Wahoo or your favorite rod from another manufacturer..Having 2 different rods set up with different versions or colors of iron makes switching out so easy.. The New 9 foot Reaper Casts like it is a ten footer and will be awesome for those who do not feel comfortable with the longer length casting rods.. 9 footers for most will be today's 10 footers. ...And so much more agile...

Please note: When using a torpedo, sliding sinker or other similar lead weights, combined with live bait, plastics or other artificial lures, not needing ultimate distances as we want with Surface Iron, Poppers and Stick Baits, this rod will be fantastic for overhead casting or underhand lobbing. Throwing much lighter bait type items will be fine. Heavier weight jigs like Salas 6X Jr. And JRI 6, or ?? for mid water work will be AWESOME.

Again, using a less forced casting stroke, especially more pendular, will provide some great results with the GP 900 Reaper regardless if the targeted species is eating on the top or midwater. Any time the angler feels a pause, snap or jerk as they cast please analyze your cast.. You might want to video your casting stroke from the side to see where the impingement is coming from as this rod is super smooth in it's transitions..

We at Bob Sands Tackle are hoping to have our Sample Reaper Custom built rod in time for testing at the Long Beach Fred Hall show, Please come on by to check it out. just remember, these blanks are going to be hot Hot HOT.. Again, Please PM me to get on the waiting list for our next allotment... No obligation until I assign each rod to the angler Based on first come first served basis.. When we run out we run out.. PLEASE DO NOT BE CONCERNED IF I DO NOT GET BACK TO YOU RIGHT AWAY.. THE DATE AND TIME OF THE PM IS THE ONLY THING I GO BY WHEN DETERMINING THE PRIORITY LIST.

STAY TUNED TO MY NEXT ON THE LAKE REVIEW THE 3 OF US CAME UP WITH REGARDING THE AMAZING U.C. GP 90 MEGA.. SHORT STORY: HOLY COW!!!..
.. ANOTHER ULTIMATE STICK FOR TADY C, JRI 1, SIMILAR WEIGHT LURES ALONG WITH BEING A BAIT FISHING MACHINE.. WE ALL WERE STOKED WITH THIS NEW STICK BUT JOHN DID NOT WANT TO LET GO OF THIS CUSTOM WRAP.. SAYS A TON ABOUT THE STICK..

Have a great season. Hope to see you all at the show.. I will be at the Bob Sands Tackle booth on Wednesday and Saturday.. Possibly Friday..Putting on technique seminars and helping out customers. I look forward to meeting you all..

Jamie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Socal and Dre

I am so excited you both got on the list.. The Demand for these blanks has been absolutely stunning.. Everyone who has pulled on it has fallen in love.. This blank has absolutely caused Reaper Madness Talk soon

Jamie

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
THANK YOU PANCH.. I SHOULD KNOW TODAY OR BEFORE THE SHOW TOMORROW IF I WILL HAVE ANY MORE AVAILABLE FOR THE SHOW... PM ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ON THE NEXT LIST FOR THIS RECORD SALES SHATTERING BLANK.. THE ALL GO OUT AS FAST AS THEY COME IN..

GET ON THE NEXT LIST NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE..

ALSO, ASK ME AT THE SHOW WHY OUR ORDERS OF GP 900 REAPER BLANKS ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHERS YOU MIGHT FIND ELSEWHERE.

JAMIE

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Looking back at this post re-inforces my belief that History making is all I can say about this product.. The shear volume of sales of the GP and now RGP 900 Reaper over the last 6 months is astonishing.. The responses of those hundreds and hundreds of folks who have now had the chance to use them has been off the chain positive...Glowing actually. The number of Reapers manufactured and sold by United Composites is by far un-precedented in our industry..

Even more important is the overwhelming number of responses noting the 900 Reaper as the best jig stick the majority of folks have ever thrown is beyond impressive. Beginners to advanced jig slingers alike are raving about this stick.. The fact that we cannot keep these in stock almost 6 months after their production release is a testament to the design, materials and manufacturing processes of United Composites..

Better yet, I have a pretty good sized quiver of the GP custom and RGP factory wrap rods going on our Gallagher 10 day at the end of this month.. Heck, there might even be a couple of Reaper Give Aways on this charter. I even have a few 9 foot GP's (900 Reaper and 90 Mega) wrapped as spinners to see how they function throwing artificial surface and mid water lures of all sizes and weights. I sure hope the fish cooperate. I really cannot wait to see how the 90 Mega does throwing much smaller and lighter poppers and jigs that the Bluefin Tuna seem to be preferring this year.

Best of luck to all the new comers as well as the experienced Jig Slingers this year.. With all the new Jig slingers stepping up this year I sure hope there is still room for me up on the bow. Please be safe and relatively sane.

Have a great season

Jamie

Last edited:
Upvote 0