United composites CE 900 monster OR United composites CE 90 monster for throwing surface iron?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by DODGERS27, Sep 24, 2017.

1. DODGERS27

DODGERS27 Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    2001 17ft trophy cc
    Which rod is better for surface iron?

2. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Get the CE 900 Monster, it is the newer version since Randy has been there.

If you are going to be a 1 stick user you might want to look at the US 90 monster. That is what I recommend as the stick for the guy that only wants 1 jig rod.

muymacho74 and fishordie like this.
  3. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Yo Brandon,

Come on by Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys.. We usually have both models in stock. I believe we have a new shipment coming in today. If you want to PM me we can also discuss the differences along with methods to help anglers use the long rod in a manner that is both efficient and will not hurt the angler when fighting a decent sized fish. The choice will depend mostly on your casting technique as far as how much tip head speed and or power you normally generate in your cast to load the rod along with the weight of artificial lures you are considering. The CE is going to be awesome for the overwhelming majority of anglers, pro or novice, who do not generate as much rod loading power on their casts when using lighter Poppers, lighter lures and surface iron. For those casting for long periods of time the CE might be your ticket for ease of use as the angler does not need to power the cast nearly as much in order to get distance. The Majority of anglers will "Feel" the load better on the CE especially on those great smaller lures. The U.S. will take a bit more technique to load, especially on slightly lighter lures but is one heck of a slinging machine in the hands of those who develop the proper amount of power. Both rods will give amazing distance for casters who use reasonable technique while neither rod will ever be outgrown as the angler goes from a reasonably good caster to a great caster...... (Practice required) These are both top of the line rods that most everyone who uses one loves.

Jamie

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    nmthree likes this.
  4. scramblerj

scramblerj Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Used to have one, don't anymore....
    But who in the world wants only one jig rod??? :-):-):-)

nmthree, NATIVE and DODGERS27 like this.
  5. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Much like Nessi or Bigfoot, you HEAR about such things but don't actually see it. I wont say how many I have but you need more than 2 hands to count them all...

FishAcquisition and fishordie like this.
  6. DODGERS27

DODGERS27 Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    2001 17ft trophy cc
    / ok cool thanks I stop by when I'm in van Nuys

nmthree and fishordie like this.
  7. muymacho74

muymacho74 Surface Iron Maniac

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Bill knows. He fishes BOTH rods mentioned better than anyone else Ive seen with these rods.

nmthree, Baller and fishordie like this.
  8. gkr1

gkr1 Newbie

Name:
    AB
    Boat:
    N/A
    Is the US90 no longer in production? Did CE900 replaced it?

Thanks

9. knot keely

knot keely Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None (yet)
    CE 900 monster and CE 900 Del Mar combo would be perfect.

10. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I'm an admitted UC jig rod whore. I have unloaded most of everything else except for a couple old Calstar glass rods I am attached to. The RCE series is simply awesome. I have a Monster, a Wahoo and a Delmar. I use them for small, medium and big jigs respectively. Some people don't like the parabolic action, but I LOVE it. So much easier on your body, and a dream to fish straight braid with. With no stretch to the line, the action of the rod does the work and takes the punishment, instead of your back. I don't know how UC does it, but it's an incredible mix of parabolic action AND plenty of backbone.

IMO, The RCE Monster is too light to fish anything over a Tady 45. Forget about a 7x or a JRI 4 type jig. But it is an absolute dream with a Tady C or Salas J Pot sized jig. I've been loving this rod lately with the Coronado yellows.

The RCE Wahoo is probably the most versatile of the bunch. If I was only going to own one jig rod this would be it. It will handle the bigger jigs, without giving up much on the smaller ones. Best mid range tool in the line up.

Then I have the Del Mar for the big dogs. If I'm gonna chuck a jig into a Bluefin foamer, this is the rod I grab. Same thing if I want to chuck a big jig like a JRI 4 or 5.

While I love them for bait, I wouldn't even consider the US series for surface iron. Just not my bag. I want more load.

solid72, fjo.805 and lazyfisherman like this.
  11. gkr1

gkr1 Newbie

Name:
    AB
    Boat:
    N/A
    I do not fish straight braid, I always use 30/40lb mono top shot. I also fish party boats so to properly load up parabolic soft tip 9ft rod its a little daunting with bodies all around. I need a rod that can load and sling a 3 to 4 oz jig (quick rotation) from 2PM to @ 10 AM Release points with not so much line of the reel, something around 4 to 5 ft from tip of the rod. That is why I thought the US would be better fit for me, If I was on my own boat I would have all 4. haha. If I am wrong in my assumptions please let me know. I currently am using a 8ft jig rod but the 9ft bug has bitten me.

12. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    40 would be the minimum I would ever throw a surface iron with. More often I am 50 or 60#. Only 40# with the smaller jigs. You can load the US90 with 40# but will have a tough time with 30#.

13. gkr1

gkr1 Newbie

Name:
    AB
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thank for the reply,
    How does line # correlates to loading the rod? Is it not the lure weight that loads the rod? Does a lighter line cast further?

Thanks

14. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    just that you can swing harder with 40, all else equal.

15. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    To further the above, it is a reaction bite so it is not finesse fishing. You get too light on the jig and then you start losing them quickly. 30# is very unforgiving. You can snap them off easily, etc.
    I lost 2x larger grade fish on 50# on my last 3 day, not because I did anything wrong but what other passengers did wrong. It is bad enough to lose a fish but add an expensive jig to it, that kinds hurts...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    SouthBayKiller likes this.
  16. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Exactly, fish heavy. FWIW, I lost what I assume would have likely been my PB surface iron yellow in SQ fishing 60lb (65lb braid to short 60lb fluoro leader). I had the drag on my Tranx pinned and still couldn't turn it before it rocked me and cut my braid. I had already landed 4-5 other 25lb yellow fishing this way and f'ed them up pretty quickly, but this fish was a completely different animal.

I wish I was fishing heavier and it also had me re-thinking my reel and line choice as the braid was roughed up badly for several yards before it finally parted.

17. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Those Reef Donkeys are just a different animal. Probably nothing you could have done different to change the outcome. That is why they are my favorite fish without a doubt..!!! I lost 2 fish total down in BoLA this year much the same as you did. Big, bad ass fish I just couldn't stop. One had a roostertail through the water much like a wahoo while he was peeling drag... NEVER seen a yellow do that before.. Damn fish fish beat me fair and square, The ALWAYS keep me coming back for more. Both fish I lost on my 3 day would have been jackpot fish, Cost me $700...!!!

18. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Yep, I'm fairly certain the distance of the cast already spotted him the line he needed to get down to the pinnacle and I was cranking the handle as hard as i could but the spool kept going the wrong way. Then when he was straight up and down I could feel the rubbing and knew I was corn-holed. Lots my favorite JRI-4 on it and am still bitter about it LOL.

19. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I lost 2x OCT-10's... I feel your pain.

20. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat: