Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat Name
Long range fishing
We departed for our 16 day fishing adventure on the Indy Jan. 6. Judy in the office wanted everyone to start checking in and to get a covid test at 5AM.. After everyone was checked in the captain ask the red shirts to start the boarding and it right around 630. A few of us came down the night before to get settled in. I picked up Quinn at the airport and went over to Mitch's seafood on the docks and had a bite to eat. After lunch I took a nap and we met up for dinner then turned in early to get some shut eye before waking up at 3AM to get our gear loaded back in the truck... I don't trust anyone and I sleep better knowing my gear if safe in the hotel room. Quinn and I find a cart and load it up and push it over to the Indy line. There are already a bunch on our trip lined up. Before you know it we our on the Indy getting settled in. Captain shoves off as soon as everyone is on the boat and we head to get the bait. As the crew is working loading the 700+ scoops Bubba the charter master starts handing out shirts and hats then the raffle begins. There was a huge collection of rods-reels-reel bags and the list was endless. If you have never been on a trip with Bubba I found him to be helpful on the way down always asking everyone if they need anything or can he help with anything. He is also a funny guy and fun to hang out with. I rebooked this trip as soon as we hit the docks. In fact everyone on board got along really good and we all fun and met some great people I can't wait to hang out with again next year. Ok lets talk bait we had for this trip.... Smallest bait I have seen in a long time. When it was time to fish you had to pick out a good bait because some were beat up a bit. A small hook was the trick but be very careful what small hook you go with. I myself went with the Charlie Brown in a 2/0 and a 3/0 and pulled a few hooks when getting bit but the fish I landed the hooks did not bend out. I was seeing a few hooks guys were going with that lost fish do to the hook being bent or the shaft breaking off. Other guys were using different brands that also got the job done. We went to Hurricane bank and never made a stop... 4 days right down to the fishing grounds. We got down and started to troll around for some Wahoo and scored a few. After that the captain dropped the hook and we began to start fishing. It didn't take long before we started hooking fish in the 40-80 with a few coming in over a 100. The fishing was good but the size for this area were on the smaller side. After we are dinner the captain says there is wind and rain in the forecast for the nest 2 days. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be so I fished some but when the rain really started I elected to take a much needed nap. After the storm passed maybe a day latter... bingo the tuna were in full force.... the kite was going off and people were nailing tuna in the 80-150 class. After dinner the captain as his meeting and says if I were you I would drop a PL68 or any jig you have or rig up a rubber band with 6 ouches and bait it up. Man he wasnt't kidding. A night bite that lasted a few hours with good grade fish. I caught a couple and watched as lots of guys were tagging 4 or 5 nice size tuna's over the 100 pound mark. Hurricane bank was on fire. Most days were very good at times...the key was putting your time in at the rail. I myself ran out of tags getting my limit of 15 tuna and 2 wahoo on bombs. There were some big fish caught on this trip.... I didn't catch a big one but cheered on the guys that landed some monsters with great form using the rail. I want to thank the Indy crew and Bubba the charter master for putting this 16 day trip I will remember for a lifetime. And a big thanks to everyone I shared the rail with. You guys were so fun to hang out with. Until next year....

img-20220121-9a28c152.jpg

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat Name
    N/A
    We departed for our 16 day fishing adventure on the Indy Jan. 6. Judy in the office wanted everyone to start checking in and to get a covid test at 5AM.. After everyone was checked in the captain ask the red shirts to start the boarding and it right around 630. A few of us came down the night before to get settled in. I picked up Quinn at the airport and went over to Mitch's seafood on the docks and had a bite to eat. After lunch I took a nap and we met up for dinner then turned in early to get some shut eye before waking up at 3AM to get our gear loaded back in the truck... I don't trust anyone and I sleep better knowing my gear if safe in the hotel room. Quinn and I find a cart and load it up and push it over to the Indy line. There are already a bunch on our trip lined up. Before you know it we our on the Indy getting settled in. Captain shoves off as soon as everyone is on the boat and we head to get the bait. As the crew is working loading the 700+ scoops Bubba the charter master starts handing out shirts and hats then the raffle begins. There was a huge collection of rods-reels-reel bags and the list was endless. If you have never been on a trip with Bubba I found him to be helpful on the way down always asking everyone if they need anything or can he help with anything. He is also a funny guy and fun to hang out with. I rebooked this trip as soon as we hit the docks. In fact everyone on board got along really good and we all fun and met some great people I can't wait to hang out with again next year. Ok lets talk bait we had for this trip.... Smallest bait I have seen in a long time. When it was time to fish you had to pick out a good bait because some were beat up a bit. A small hook was the trick but be very careful what small hook you go with. I myself went with the Charlie Brown in a 2/0 and a 3/0 and pulled a few hooks when getting bit but the fish I landed the hooks did not bend out. I was seeing a few hooks guys were going with that lost fish do to the hook being bent or the shaft breaking off. Other guys were using different brands that also got the job done. We went to Hurricane bank and never made a stop... 4 days right down to the fishing grounds. We got down and started to troll around for some Wahoo and scored a few. After that the captain dropped the hook and we began to start fishing. It didn't take long before we started hooking fish in the 40-80 with a few coming in over a 100. The fishing was good but the size for this area were on the smaller side. After we are dinner the captain says there is wind and rain in the forecast for the nest 2 days. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be so I fished some but when the rain really started I elected to take a much needed nap. After the storm passed maybe a day latter... bingo the tuna were in full force.... the kite was going off and people were nailing tuna in the 80-150 class. After dinner the captain as his meeting and says if I were you I would drop a PL68 or any jig you have or rig up a rubber band with 6 ouches and bait it up. Man he wasnt't kidding. A night bite that lasted a few hours with good grade fish. I caught a couple and watched as lots of guys were tagging 4 or 5 nice size tuna's over the 100 pound mark. Hurricane bank was on fire. Most days were very good at times...the key was putting your time in at the rail. I myself ran out of tags getting my limit of 15 tuna and 2 wahoo on bombs. There were some big fish caught on this trip.... I didn't catch a big one but cheered on the guys that landed some monsters with great form using the rail. I want to thank the Indy crew and Bubba the charter master for putting this 16 day trip I will remember for a lifetime. And a big thanks to everyone I shared the rail with. You guys were so fun to hang out with. Until next year....

img-20220121-9a28c152.jpg
    Way to go Art and Mike ..!

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    Thanks for the report soda! Definitely on the bucket list of trips to do. Maybe 2024?!
    Are you on the Danny extreme trip again? I’m all signed up with the guys!
    Haven’t signed up yet. Might be busy those dates brother

Reactions: Shon
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Great report, post a couple more pics if you have some when you get a minute. Boat, gear, fish.
    Thanks for the report…

Reactions: Soda Pop