Understanding the Mexican requirements.

Shimano Penn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Fond Memory
I have most of it figured out I think, have tried to read all the posts on the subject. One thing I have not seen addressed... right now the fish are in the 425 area just outside of the 12 mile line, okay great. But the sporties drive right past the Coronados on the way home with a load of fish on board. Okay they are NOT fishing, they are under way, but still ... Would a PB want to risk that or is it better to give the islands a nice wide (12+ miles) pass ?


VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Rainbow Surprise
So is it better to take a risk or play it safe? I dunno tough choice.


Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Parker 2310
I just started the paper work!
I recommend you get one too!

Temporary Boat Importation

Be aware that the temporary boat importation laws have changed for Baja and now every boat over 4.5 meters (15 feet) that will be going down to Baja needs to have a temporary boat import permit. Inflatable boats that can collapse and fit into a bag are the only boats that are exempt from this law. Jet skis, kayaks, canoes, wave runners, etc. are also exempt. If you are a “persona fisica” (physical person, NOT a company), below are the steps that you will need to take.

To get your temporary importation permit for your boat, you can go online to Banjercito to apply for the permit. You will need to start the process about two weeks before heading to Baja, as you will need to allow time for processing and for the permit to be sent to you in the mail. You cannot process the paperwork more than 60 days before heading into Mexico.

Alternatively, you can stop at the border on your way into Baja with your paperwork in order. You can go into the Aduanas (customs) building at the border and they will direct you to the Banjercito where you will pay and get your permit. Any vessel older than 1975 must be processed at the border.

You will need to cross at the Otay Mesa or Tecate border crossings (you are NOT able to get your permit at the San Ysidro, El Chaparral, port of entry).

You will need to have the boat and the following paperwork with you. You need to have the original AND a copy of each of these items as you will be asked to turn in the copies in order to get your permit.

  • Passport or Passport Card
  • FMM, temporary resident or permanent resident visa
  • Boat registration or title
  • Motor serial number
  • If there is a lienholder on the boat, you will need to have a letter from the lienholder granting permission to take the vessel to Mexico
Boats registered under a family trust will not be accepted even if your name is on the trust. All vessels must be owned by a person or company only. If the vessel is registered under a company, you will need to present a letter of authorization on company letterhead granting permission to take the boat to Mexico.

The fee for the temporary import permit varies slightly from day to day but is around 880 pesos (about $55.00 USD) and can be paid in pesos, dollars or by Visa or Mastercard. The permit is good for 10 years (and is good for multiple entry).

If your boat is already in Baja, you will need to go to Pichilingue with the above paperwork to complete this process. Only the owner of the boat can complete this process for the boat at Pichilingue (they will not allow a power of attorney).

Otay hours: Mon-Sat: 8am-9pm Sun: 9am-6pm

Tecate hours: 8am-4pm every day

Pichilingue hours: Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat: 7am-3pm Tues, Thur: 7am-5pm Sun: 8:30am-4:30pm

Most marinas also require on-the-water boat liability insurance