Start Me Up Sportfishing

Hockey

May 12, 2009
honolulu
Name
steve
Boat
23' Seacraft
We headed out of Maunalua Bay on Tuesday. The Plan was to head to the Banks and follow the ledge South. However the current seemed to be running the "wrong way" so we decided to head East and look for open schools of Mahi in the channel.

We had set lines and my fishing partner Mark decided it was a good time to take a nap. As soon as his head hit the pillow the starboard rigger comes down and the water erupted where the lure used to be. She put on quite a show about a 100 yds back, which was just long enough for us to clear lines. Then is was off to the races. She peeled off 800 yds and we were chasing her down but getting nervous about what was left on the 130. We pick up all but 100 yards within the 1st hour and then it was cat and mouse for the next 2 hrs until she made one run too many and we were able to bring her to gaff.

We tried again and again to bring her aboard. It was just the 2 of us but Mark insisted we could do it. Finally we decided to tie her off to the side of the boat and drag her in. At the time we both agreed the she was somewhere around 300. So I called a friend of mine and asked that he bring my 7' fish bag down to the ramp.

Well I dropped my trailer down the ramp and floated her on and pulled her out of the water. She didnt look like 300 anymore. Maybe double that. She measure 120" from lower jaw tip to tail fork and her circumference was 64". Which according to scale puts her @ 614 Lbs.
Which is my biggest fish to date.

We werent running any "Marlin" lures and although we lost one after a 6 hour fight in the dark in the same area 3 weeks ago, we werent expecting anything but Mahi.

As the saying go "Better luck than good" and "Thats Fishing"

Attachments

• Fish&boat 039.jpg
    Fish&boat 039.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Fish&boat 035.jpg
    Fish&boat 035.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Hey good going Steve. For some reason marlin don't look as big when they are hanging off the side of the boat. I've tried pulling one in the boat too feeling like a wimp cause it wouldn't budge. then back at harbor you're like whoa, no wonder. ha ha. Hope you took some nice pics. congrats.

Upvote 0

Hockey

May 12, 2009
honolulu
Name
steve
Boat
23' Seacraft
Aj, It was hard to get some good shots of it but we tried.
Did I read your vessel correctly? 23 Seacraft? Nice! Looking at your Bio it looks like your into a project. Good going, looking forward to seeing it completed and if you wouldnt mind maybe I could take a peak at it during the process.

Upvote 0

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Wow Congrats guys that is front page material forsure.

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
nice going! I think the biggest one written up w/pics on BD/Hawaii so far this year...

tight lines,

Upvote 0

MANAPUA MAN

Almost A Member
May 10, 2009
HONOLULU HAWAII
Name
CAPPY
Boat
23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"
Way to go Steve..... She's a Beaut.........
I'm going crazy waiting for a chance to get out.
Wish for rain for Phil & Merle at the Ranch....

Adios Amigo,

Cappy

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Steve & crew,

Nice XL donkey you have there. I love it when the big girls give you a chance to clear lines before they kick in the after burners...

Way to go!

Pat

Upvote 0

jbmolly

Mar 15, 2010
Wahiawa, HI (Schofield Barracks)
Name
Brian
Boat
Don't have one yet!
Great Fish, Good job on getting her to the boat! I can't wait to get there. You boys are making me go crazy over here. I just hope I can catch a fish over 100' The biggest I've ever caught is a 46' Striper! Man I can't wait to get there. I have so much to learn!!!

Upvote 0