ULUA or GG90J???

WreckinBall

The sober one
Oct 18, 2004
Way up in the IE
Name
Jerry
Boat
Island Tak, Prowler, RRIII, TG80, Royal Star, etc....
Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdangler

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 5, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Mark
Boat
USS Drum SSN 677
Am I going to be upset if I get the 90j and hook a 40lb alijos homeguard?

Hell no! Been there got that t-shirt. I like the 100JC too but that's out of topic. The Ulua is a nice rod but I generally leave a popper on it with a TN40N and 40# P-Line CXX. The GG-90J is a great rod and I put an Avet JX 6/3 on it and 30# P-Line CXX. That's a jig chucking machine right there. Of course with me throwing it it's more like a Pinto than a Porsche but I like it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Aloha, my name is Aku, I am an ulua addict on Acid! I have owned 8! The key to the ulua's strength is the "S"glass mad even stronger and lighter wiith the addition of graphite in the SS-C ULUA93H-10!
I am 5'7 and swing the 10'r composite on Acid.
I kept the butt OD down by using Xtube over corktape. I do, however use a reel seat!
I hate clamping reels to rods and with Ulua, you need longer screws.
I have used my old YTS & 50#, Daiwa Saltist STT40 with 40# topshot and the JX6/3 with 40#. For shits & giggles when the barries are running I use a Quantum Cabo Levelwind and 30#.
If I can wing 6Xs, 7Xs, & Tady45s a respctable distance and land 30#YT, then anybody can!

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Mark you throw with a jx an everyone tells me lever drags are wack for the iron. How does it work for you? Are u 100 yard capable??

There is a slight learning curve. . .
Skinny_reels_n_backlashes.JPG

My next jig reel may be the Daiwa Saltist STTLD40 2spd.
Do you know how far 100yds is? Very close. . .

Upvote 0

sdangler

Apr 5, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Mark
Boat
USS Drum SSN 677
Mark you throw with a jx an everyone tells me lever drags are wack for the iron. How does it work for you? Are u 100 yard capable??

Yes (caveat), when I practice regularly. On an 8 day, our second trip to Cedros I can get out there about 100 yards. That's with a 100JC and the GG90J. The Ulua, not so much but I don't practice with the reel TN40N that much.

Funny thing is I seem to do better locally up on the bow with no one around... Kinda like stage fright I guess.

The ULUA (I own the 10' and the Baby 10') is a great rod but I have problems getting a reel on them. I put a Citalis 16II on the Baby at Guadalupe this year and had a blast but all those fish were under 50#'s. The true Ulua is a great stick but I'm a big guy 6 - 3 and 240+. You have to fish it differently than a 100J. Guero and Wrecking Ball can explain that better to you than I can.

And I do not own a purple reel...

Upvote 0

JSR

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 5, 2005
    Irvine
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Royal Star
    90J's definitely not a 30lb stick bud. Don't know what's in that Valley Crest fertilizer but I think it's getting to you.

hehe, no worries mate
    probably my 30 is your 50
    especially, when i'm done smokin my fertilizer :)

i had moon seine chord mine to match
    sic's et al
    makes for easier reel and rail

Attachments

• DSCF0715.jpg
      DSCF0715.jpg
      209.7 KB · Views: 47
    • DSCF0705.jpg
      DSCF0705.jpg
      112 KB · Views: 50
    Upvote 0